Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
but I'm not sure if it's because of the nicotine or a medication that I take.
My non-professional guess is, it's the meds. Is it for blood pressure? My BP meds make me light-headed (well, I was told they could -- I'm prone to it already, and so I always stand up slowly anyway, but I was warned these could make it worse. HCTZ, is what they've got me on.)

Asmani

May 18, 2018
Iran
Is it for blood pressure?
No, a combination of antidepressants. I'm also prone to orthostatic hypotension, have had it in the past for different reasons, but the recent cases have been well correlated with the nicotine consumption. Tomorrow I will significantly decrease the amount of nicotine consumption and will post the results here.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
You're right, but Wikipedia also adds: After the initial stimulatory phase, a later period of depressor effects can occur and may include symptoms of hypotension and [...].

Symptoms of hypotension is not hypotension itself.. meaning, while you may become relaxed (a symptom) it's not actually due to low blood pressure...

But all this depends on amount used.

Caffeine is a stimulant.. yet in a higher quantity you can drink a caffeine product like coffee before bed and sleep great... it becomes symptomatic of a depressant in that regard, even though it's a stimulant.

So, if you are admittedly using too much nicotine, you will get sone effects of hypotension, but it's related to amount used, not hypotension itself.

Your best bet is to lower your nicotine amount, and if the symptoms continue or are concerning then see your doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asmani

Asmani

May 18, 2018
Iran
Tomorrow I will significantly decrease the amount of nicotine consumption and will post the results here.
I'm now almost sure that in my case, high nicotine consumption has a key role. It could be that I'm prone, or an interaction between nicotine and the medications that I take, but the correlation is definite. (Yesterday I measured my BP while being dizzy several times, and it was horribly low)

Asmani

May 18, 2018
Iran
I'm now almost sure that in my case, high nicotine consumption has a key role. It could be that I'm prone, or an interaction between nicotine and the medications that I take, but the correlation is definite. (Yesterday I measured my BP while being dizzy several times, and it was horribly low)
The underlying cause of my orthostatic hypotension was Paroxetine. However, the amount of nicotine consumption was making a big difference in the severity of symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread