Vaping (nicotine) may have saved my life

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Went to the doctor and my blood pressure was very high (no surprise... I knew this, but it was higher than I thought) Had smoked cigs for 40 years (quit almost 3 months ago) been vaping instead. Doc prescribed meds (lisinopril) so I took one to see if it helped. Living with my elderly mother and she has a blood pressure tester (yes I know the name... too hard to spell) Took notes... here's the log:
11:00 am 158/81 (before I took pill)
12:00 noon took pill
2:00 pm 122/60 (wow, working great)
4:00 pm started feeling weak, dizzy (had to lay down)
6:30 pm 102/44 (WTF! feeling really messed up... bright light seemed blinding, almost no pulse, very dizzy)
Decided to increase my usual 12 mg vape to 18 mg... didn't chain vape, but vaped a bit more than ususal)
9:30 pm 119/55 (finally feeling normal again... pill wore off and I'm sure the extra nicotine helped)
I know this is not the usual story about nicotine (most days i worry about too much raising my BP)
Stupid doctor had actually recommended 2 pills a day... that would have killed me! (I only took 1) That was yesterday. Doing fine today.. BP 130/63 and NO PILL. It's Sunday, so will call Doctor tomorrow and discuss dosage.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I'm no Doctor but while 158/81 is not the ideal numbers, it isn't particularly high. I fail to see why you were prescribed medication. I'll declare once more I'm no Doctor but I'd think vaping less or reducing nic and caffeine would be a more pragmatic approach than taking meds.

But I'm no Doctor. If I'm wrong for stating my opinion, based on my own experience of reducing my own slightly high blood pressure, could a mod please delete the post.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Tabac man, When the doctor originally checked my BP it was 180/100... that's why he gave me meds. I had just rode a bike in the hot afternoon and drank a lot the night before. It's not his fault for prescribing meds, but 2 a day was overkill (excuse the pun) Also (and I didn't tell him this ) I had broke down and smoked 2 cigs the night before, so that's why my BP was so high. Yes, I do need to cut my nic level down (vaping) and quit cheating with the cigs (about once a week... I hate myself for that) Also need to cut down on coffee. I used to use "herb" and it helped control the BP... by the way, it's legal here in California now, just can't afford it. I posted this because in this particular situation the nicotine actually helped. Thank god I didn't take that second pill! I might be OK with half dose or a different med (lisinopril is one of the more dangerous ones) On a side note, I'm almost 60 and this is the price I pay for my lifestyle (and 40 years of smoking/drinking)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I have high blood pressure and take two pills a day. Diltiazem and Valsartan.

Before the pills it was usuall in the 160/90 or 175/90 range. It is now in between 118/60 and 130/60 range almost all the time when checked.

It takes awhile taking the medication for it to start working and stabilizing the pressure.

lisinopril was one of the first I tired. It made me cough like crazy so it was changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread