Nicotine base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sphinx

Jan 29, 2014
Tennessee
You did it totally right! You just have to do the calculation for the 100mg base. I use 100mg/ml in my mixes, though I generally do in steps of 5mg to make the math easier. I mix 10mg as 1/10th of the bottle, so if I make a 30ml bottle, that's 3ml of 100mg/ml nic base. 1.5 for a 15ml bottle, .6 for a 6ml bottle. If I want slightly more, I can always add .25 to make it 12.5, or .5 to make it 15. Simplifies the process.

No idea why the industry has gone with 6,12,18,24 as their nic levels. Using 100mg/ml, by 5's is much easier for me.

You're mixing 10ml bottles, so 1ml is 10mg/ml, and 2 is 20mg/ml. Makes it easy to get it right.

Sphinx

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I would make it "backwards" and do it in 10ml divisions
so you want 12 mg/ml strength total end product
use 1.2ml of nic base ( of 100mg/ml base)
4.5ml 100VG
4ml 100PG
.3 ml flavor

you end up with 10ml juice at 12mg nic
doing it in 10ml measures is easier on the number crunching if you need to make a larger volume go to 20 ( double the separate volumes of each) 30 ml ( triple the volumes of each item)

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
100 mg/ml (10%) nicotine is relatively safe to use if you use eye and skin protection. It is also easy to calculate with.

For 12 mg/ml result, use 12% 100 mg/ml in your final solution, i.e. if you're making 10 ml, 12% of that is 1.2 ml. Note that because your nicotine base is 100% PG, you already have 12% of the PG you want in your final mix.

Now decide how much flavoring you want. If it's 4% of 10 ml, that's .4 ml. Now you have 16% of your mix of which at least 12% is PG from the nic base. Flavoring also sometimes contains PG, but we'll ignore that for now.

If you want 50/50 VG/PG, you need 48% x 10 ml VG (4.8 ml) and 36% non-nicotine PG (3.6 ml). That'll give you 96% PG and VG, which is 100% minus 4% flavoring, or 48% each of VG and PG.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Try this: 2.0ml coffee. 2.0ml whipped cream, 1.2ml pg nic base, 1ml sweetener, 3.8ml VG base.

62%PG/38%VG, no water required.

Obviously adjust from there to taste. I often make 0nic mixes to test since it's cheaper.

That is how I would start with a coffee in my shop.

So your saying 2 + 2 + 1 = 5 ml of flavorings
1.2 + 3.8 = 5 ml of nic base and PG/VG

So, that has 50% flavoring in it?

If I'm not missing something, that is WAY too much flavoring

Last edited:

Sphinx

Jan 29, 2014
Tennessee
Depends on a lot of factors. I wouldn't say it's too much. You should try it. The sweetener makes a HUGE difference. Also depends on who you use for flavorings. I wouldn't do that with Lorann's, as an example, but I would with FW flavors. Also depends on each flavor.

There's no set amount of what is enough or what is too much flavor. I do know that the VAST majority of shops use way too LITTLE flavoring for my taste, which is why I started mixing it in the first place. I've gotten a few "too much flavor" comments on my juice, but I have many many MANY more that love that my flavors are strong, and that they're not bitter.

It seems that the community has decided how mixes should be done, and that anyone that deviates is wrong, or using "too much" (insert component here), or "too little" (insert component here).
If you've never tried more than 15%, how can you say 50% is too much?

Additionally, the whipped cream is very mild, and the coffee is very strong. I would expect this mix to be mostly coffee with a little cream and a bit of sweet.

I bet you hear "no flavor" many more times than "too much flavor" on this forum...

Sphinx

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Try this: 2.0ml coffee. 2.0ml whipped cream, 1.2ml pg nic base, 1ml sweetener, 3.8ml VG base. 62%PG/38%VG, no water required.

Obviously adjust from there to taste. I often make 0nic mixes to test since it's cheaper.

That is how I would start with a coffee in my shop.

flavorings are concentrated
as you mentioned about the coffee stuff it would be like saying to make a cup of coffee you would
add 2 oz condensed milk
add 2 oz freeze dried crystals
add 1 oz corn syrup
add 1 oz water
for a total of 6 oz coffie

Sphinx

Jan 29, 2014
Tennessee
Bunnykiller,

Flavorings are definitely concentrated. I'll give you that. How concentrated depends on the brand. I also agree that conventional wisdom insists that there is a certain way to make juice, and that is with 15% or less flavoring. I'm certainly not conventional, but I am no less successful.

Each of us brings something different to the e-liquid table. What I bring is definitely out of the ordinary. I offer my opinions, as does everyone on this forum. I really make an effort to listen to others' ideas, and not to discount them because they differ from mine.

The refusal to accept new ideas stifles innovation, and thus stifles progress. In this industry, we need as much progress as we can muster. As such, I will neither refuse to accept others' ideas, nor will I denigrate them for their opinions.

I can assure you, however, that the flavor ratios I use work just fine with the brand of flavorings I use. My customers enjoy them, I enjoy them, and most people I sell to refuse to buy from anyone else once they buy mine, which is how I afford to offer 1200+ flavors in my shop. I'm certain all of my offerings are not suitable to everyone. Who's are?

One of the advantages I have is that I have an open mind, and will listen to the suggestions from my customers, as well as anyone on this forum that offers an opinion. I may disagree, but I do not treat them as if they are ignorant. If I can not be constructive, I refrain from comment.

A response with a closed mind is never productive. Without knowing my flavoring vendor, a solid judgement on my suggestions can not be made. Had you asked, I would have explained. Since you chose to berate me, I don't feel the need to do so.

Respectfully,

Sphinx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread