Nicotine Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lull

Dec 7, 2008
California
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have severe anxiety and panic attacks so the more in-depth I read the bigger hole I dig myself into. I'm sure others with this problem know what I'm talking about. Anyway...

I've been smoking for over 10 years, ultra lights for I'd say about half that time. I'm looking to purchase my first e-cigarette and buy the Ultra Light cartridges from PureSmoker.com, however the 11mg of nicotine marked on the product makes me nervous. (I've been to the ER twice before for a-fib/a-fib like symptoms after ODing on nicotine.) I'm assuming that's total content but how many drags do I take and how much nicotine am I getting exactly?

grooovn

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Tennessee
lull,
Kate on here is a wealth of information on the subject of nicotine, she is an angel instead of a nun. lol She has never failed to help me with nicotine questions.

The nicotine marked 11mg is per 1ml so puresmoker's small 10ml bottle will have a total of 110mg on nicotine in the whole bottle. I also have problems with to much nicotine and I buy the 11mg and the 0mg and mix them so they are 5.5mg nicotine per 1ml to simulate the ultra lights I use to smoke.

Natty Bo

Nov 23, 2008
UK
Lull, what strength cigarette and how many did you smoke during the two OD'ing episodes you speak of? It would be useful to gauge the level of your nicotine sensitivity before recommending an e-cig and nic strength.

My concern is that I wouldn't be comfortable recommending one to someone with acute anxiety, OCD, etc. Your afflicition could lead to you to abusing the e-cig and vaping yourself into another nicotine OD. Obiviously that's would not possible if exclusively using zero nic. In my short experience of vaping it is easier to OD with an e-cig than real ones.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Thanks Grooovn ;)

My thoughts would be that you should get some zero and some low (6mg) or medium (11mg) juice.

To satisfy the smoking habit vape zero. That will give an outlet for the ritual, hand to mouth and inhaling 'smoke' desire.

To satisfy nicotine addiction, occasionally use a couple of drops of low or medium juice for a nicotine spike. If you still crave nic ten minutes later then have another couple of drops.

You shouldn't overdose that way. If you don't find it satisfying consider using more low or medium nic juice or get some high (16/18mg) and try that technique with it.

Here is some more information about nicotine - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html

Please let us know how you get on and what you find works for you.

lull

Dec 7, 2008
California
Thanks for the quick, informative replies everyone. :)

When I OD'd on nicotine I was smoking Marlboro ultra lights, I honestly have no idea how many I smoked but it was close to a pack during a 14 hour period. I originally went to the ER thinking I had a blood clot (I'm pretty inactive) and when the nurse took my vitals she was concerned about my heart rate so they rushed me to the back. They ran a couple EKGs, other tests, etc. and said it was a-fib. They sent me home after 6 hours, told me to quit smoking.

The second ER trip was shortly after that. I smoked too much (again not sure how many, but less than the first ER trip) and on my way out to the car I dropped something, went to pick it up and my heart started racing erratically. That ER trip they didn't find anything abnormal on the nasal rate of my EKG but said it was likely that I had too much nicotine in my system. Was told to quit smoking again.

This all happened last year, since then I've cut down quite a bit and make it a point to get up out of my chair often. Ideally I'd only like to use the e-cigarette for a short time with the goal of quitting altogether. For me it's definitely less about the nicotine (even a few cigarettes will aggravate my anxiety these days) and more about the act of smoking.

I'm definitely liking the idea of mixing juices together, that way I have more control over the situation to get the nicotine level very low.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
You're the first smoker to report overdose problems with tobacco here Lull, we usually get esmokers with those symptoms. I think it's possible to absorb much higher doses with vapour so it's good that you are aware and careful.

My strategy is to vape low constantly and have an occasional spike of high with a couple of drips. It depends on whether you like the spikes or if you just want a constant level of nic in your system. If all else fails you could use zero nic and still get the habit satisfied without any poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread