nicotine strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroclue

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Barnsley, UK
Does nic mg affect the taste of juice?

I ordered an evod starter kit and I have about 12 different flavour liquids some are better than others, one I really like the taste of (coconut ice from alchemist cupboard) but all of them give me a horrible exhale (I made a similar post in the UK Forum looking for better juice suppliers).

After a few draws the flavour fades out a little and the back of my tongue/mouth starts getting a burn sensation, its horrible! It gets worse with each draw, after 3/4 draws I have to put it down but I still need a cig (yes analog, I'm having one right now)! :-(

I only got my evod last week so all the juice I have are 5/10 ml bottles at 18mg nic (some fresh mixed, sat in cupboard with there lids off). I also have a couple T3S but I'm still getting the same thing.

if I order some coconut ice in 6 or 12mg would I still get the burn sensation or would the nic level be too low? I would rather need to use my evod more often because I'm not getting enough nic than have higher nic that I don't like/cant use.

Does this make sense, is it the nic causing this or something else?

Amberina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Nicotine level does impact the flavor and how harsh a juice is. But also the ratio of PG and VG. The higher the PG the more 'harsh' the juice will be. You get much more throat hit from PG. VG is more smooth and is what gives you lots of vapor. The juice you are using may be high in PG and this may be the reason for the harsh exhale and the burning sensation. If you switch to a juice that is high in VG I think you will be much happier. I personally do not like a lot of throat hit. I don't like the 'burn' that comes with it. I get juice with more VG. I use 18 mg nic during the day and 24mg first thing in the morning and right before bed (when my cravings are the worst). That being said, my juices are very smooth because of the high VG content in them.
Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Last edited:

zeroclue

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Barnsley, UK
Some are PG/VG 50/50, some are PG/VG 70/30.

what mix do you use/ what would you recommend? Different sites have different options but as I have only been buying sample size I cant change mix or nic strength.

I really need to get this right my OH is going to go nuts if I keep ordering stuff! I still have a itaste v3 and or vision spinner on my wish list that I can't order until I give up the ciggy's!

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
That good flavor for a couple puffs, followed by the burning sensation, may be caused by your vaping setup running too hot for you. If you can lower the voltage or use a higher resistance coil, it may help. I had that experience running an Evod at 1.8 ohms at 3.7 volts, and it left the back of my throat and tongue burned and raw for a day or so, using a smooth liquid that I enjoy in other devices. If you have to wait to get a less harsh setup, try taking very short puffs to see if that helps. Even lousy liquid shouldn't do this at 18mg, but some mixers add a peppery element to create "throat hit". Good luck getting this straightened out!

Some are PG/VG 50/50, some are PG/VG 70/30.

what mix do you use/ what would you recommend? Different sites have different options but as I have only been buying sample size I cant change mix or nic strength.

I really need to get this right my OH is going to go nuts if I keep ordering stuff! I still have a itaste v3 and or vision spinner on my wish list that I can't order until I give up the ciggy's!

I'm not a fan of the 50/50 juices. It's hard to describe the taste I got from them, I guess "dusty" is a good word. I like the 70/30 mixes but the flavor I'm hooked on now is a 60/40 and I love it.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Both myself and my OH ordered a evod kit, mine came with 5 spare heads at 1.8 ohm and my OH got 5 spare heads at 2.5 ohm. What is the difference (I did read about this somewhere but I keep getting myself in a muddle).

You have a fixed voltage kit. A variable watt PV, such as the iTaste V3 would be a better option because you could change the warmth of the vapor. Your 1.8 ohm heads will be warmer/hotter than your OH's 2.5 ohm heads. I would suggest giving the 2.5 ohms a try. A 3.7 volt fixed voltage PV is not well suited to handle 1.8 ohm heads which could be part of the problem. It also could be your eliquid to a degree, which is very subjective. Most new vapers need eliquid in the 16mg - 24mg nicotine strength range to make the transition. You might want to order some eliquid in a flavor you like in 12mg, which you can then mix with the 18mg to lower the nic level to whatever level works for you. But your issue may have nothing to do with the nic level.

zeroclue

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Barnsley, UK
Just checked with alchemist cupboard, I can select nic strength but not PG/VG. They MIGHT mix me up a higher VG IF I order 50ml :-(

I have some banana and cream from them which comes as a 40/60 PG/VG so I will see how that is in a few days, tastes a little off just now so guessing it needs a little longer in one the shelf.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I am mightily confused. I started on low power kit and had a few problems in general with vapour from the e-cig.

By the time I got used to vaping (the technique) the whole notion of PG/VG percentages and nic strengths became almost irrelevant.

I suspect the issue here is you are experiencing the same problems as me, but on a much bigger scale, because you have better kit.

Hang in there. It will go. :)

zeroclue

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Barnsley, UK
I am mightily confused. I started on low power kit and had a few problems in general with vapour from the e-cig.

By the time I got used to vaping (the technique) the whole notion of PG/VG percentages and nic strengths became almost irrelevant.

I suspect the issue here is you are experiencing the same problems as me, but on a much bigger scale, because you have better kit.

Hang in there. It will go. :)

Lol, yes I had considered technique to be part of the problem if I try taking a long draw it feels like I have inhaled a chimney! So I have been keeping them a little shorter and trying to pause longer between each hit.

also the kids have been unwell this week and have kindly passed it on :)

Rainwife

Oct 25, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
The iTaste v3 is a wonderful piece of shiny. It was my first "real mod" (started with a cig-a-like. That didn't last long) and I'm using it now while my MVP v2 charges.

Back to the original topic at hand, I found a lower nic strength worked for me. I started at a 24 and dropped to an 18 on my second order. I hope you get it worked out soon. Now that I've been vaping over a month, I can't ever imagine going back to ciggies again

evolutionx

Jan 2, 2013
Philadelphia
I personally don't like the throat hit that PG produces (almost feels like a sore throat). However, I need to have throat hit. The key is to get a smooth throat hit along with solid vapor production. The throat hit also depends on how you inhale. If you allow the vapor to immediately draw down your throat into your lungs as you inhale it tends to give you that sore throat feeling. IMO, the best way to inhale is to draw the vapor into your mouth and then shoot it into your lungs.

Because I don't like PG, I use either 90/10 or 100/0 VG/PG. That alone will give you tons of vapor but zero throat hit. So what I do is tend to only use mint/menthol flavors as they naturally create a cooling effect. Peppermint is my favorite flavor so I use that and then mix in a Koolada or a menthol which gives you a "Icebreaker" sensation on your throat. Add 18-24 mg nicotine which will enhance it further. So when you pop the inhale it is a short but strong throat hit...as opposed to a long annoying sore throat inducing sensation. Try adding about 10% of a super strong menthol like "Arctic Wolf" from Vaporgod into some of your juices...it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread