Jul 25, 2013
    NY

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    I've never owned any of their products. But, I indirectly owe them a debt of gratitude: Christmas 2009, a co-worker received an N'Joy kit as a gift and showed it off at work. She failed as a vaper, but my interest was piqued. In two weeks, I'd received my first cigalike and had smoked my last cigarette.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    One thing nobody has asked is: Who got stiffed in NJOY's bankruptcy restructuring?

It's also interesting to point out that someone thinks it's worthwhile to invest $35 million in NJOY despite the looming PMTA deadlines. I see that as a gamble, a bet that at least some of the PMTAs that NJOY is planning to file will be approved. I wonder if they might have gotten word that the PMTA process won't be as difficult under the new administration as many of us speculated it might be?

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    One thing nobody has asked is: Who got stiffed in NJOY's bankruptcy restructuring?

It's also interesting to point out that someone thinks it's worthwhile to invest $35 million in NJOY despite the looming PMTA deadlines. I see that as a gamble, a bet that at least some of the PMTAs that NJOY is planning to file will be approved. I wonder if they might have gotten word that the PMTA process won't be as difficult under the new administration as many of us speculated it might be?

"are you on the side that gets paid, or are you on the OUT!" ;)

It's a safe bet that someone was put out to pasture.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    There are just a few very large tobacco companies. That's not what consumers want. That's what governments want. Consumers are best served by lots of smaller vape businesses that are serving the market now. The people investing the really big bucks into vaping are betting the US government will try to structure the US vape business the same as tobacco. So far that looks like a good bet.

I believe if the government ignored vaping the tobacco companies could not compete for long in the vape market. As tobacco sales declined the tobacco companies would wither away. Even the vape companies would face a bleak future because frugal vaping costs so little even a billion vapers would support a vape industry that's only a few percentage points of what tobacco is today. (With a few more purchases, several hundred dollars, I'll have the option of opting out of the vape market for 10-20 years. It will cost me well under $1000 to do that, what I used to spend on 4 months of smoking.)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Even the vape companies would face a bleak future because frugal vaping costs so little even a billion vapers would support a vape industry that's only a few percentage points of what tobacco is today.
    I don't think nearly as many vapers would have gone down the DIY path of frugality if it weren't for the sword of regulation hanging over our heads. Think about it; you used to spend $3k a year smoking. You could have smoked RYO for a lot less. You could even have grown your own tobacco. But you didn't. Why?
    I'll speculate: Because the very convenient, BT product that you were used to wasn't under threat of disappearing due to "regulations". If it were, you would have looked at rolling and possibly even growing your own. I know I would have -- at least if vaping hadn't come along.

Thus, I think if NJOY and a few others do get PMTAs approved, I believe there will be a good market for them, even if they price their products close to the cost of smoking BT cigarettes. No, it won't be those of us who've gone to rebuildable atomizers and DIY liquid. But there's still 30+ million smokers in the US alone who haven't switched, who might have a renewed interest in vaping once the FDA has "blessed" some products, especially if those companies are not part of BT.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh
    I thought everyone is closing because of the fda?

No they (Provape for example) are using that as an excuse to shut down. I'm friends with a few people who make mods and e-liguids nothing has changed right now. Of course they're worried about what happens in 2018 but it's still business as usual.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    No they (Provape for example) are using that as an excuse to shut down. I'm friends with a few people who make mods and e-liguids nothing has changed right now. Of course they're worried about what happens in 2018 but it's still business as usual.
    Will they have their products registered with the FDA, by June?

Mazinny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    Who gets stiffed in bankruptcy proceedings ? The creditors. To the tune of $200m in this case.

The founders ( Weiss brothers ) may have lost money too. The investors ( Bruno Mars, Sean Parker, Peter Thiel, Morgan Stanley, Brookside Capital etc .... ) all lost their investment as well, some tens of millions.

Do you thing BT could have invested in the company?
    No, the investor was named in the press release. Why would BT invest in Njoy, they had 0% of the market when Njoy dominated, now Njoy has less than 5% of the cigalike and convenience store market while the BT brands dominate.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Reactions: Eskie
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread