Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
I wouldn't consider this a "mod". It's just an adaption of existing stuff. My apologies if I have placed this in the wrong sub-forum.

This is a very simple procedure that results in using an existing 510/901 drip tip with the 306 atomizer. It requires no special tools and anyone can make one in a matter of minutes. I made this with the TorneGo in mind but it will work with any PV, methinks. No need for pics as this is as straight forward as can be.

First step is to remove the connector from a discarded 510 atomizer. I managed to break the sleeve of the atomizer free off the connector without so much as scratching the paint by insulating the jaws of a pair of pliers with a paper towel. I *did* use my vise to squeeze/hold the threaded portion of the connector while I worked the sleeve free. There are probably other methods available to those who don't have a vise on hand. A vice grip and a pliers, maybe. Or the connector can be drilled out... whatever floats your boat. The goal is to have the 510 sleeve in hand and still round. =)

Next (and last) step is to utilize the mouthpiece that ships with the 306 atomizer. We're going to cut this to size by matching it up to the length of the 510 sleeve and deduct the distance that the T-Tip fits into the 510 sleeve. IOW, the bottom of the T-Tip is going to .... up against the cut end of the 306 atty sleeve when it's together. Call it a heavy 1/8" shorter than the 510 atty sleeve. (obviously, we're cutting off the part of the mouthpiece that has the small hole since we don't want that anymore)

Install the freshly cut 306 mouthpiece (now simply a plastic sleeve) as normal. Install your existing 510/901 T-Tip to the 510 atty sleeve. Slide the 510 sleeve over the 306 sleeve until the bottom of the T-Tip butts against the top of the 306 sleeve. Done deal.

A nice caveat here is that the 510 atty sleeve covers most of the 306's sleeve and reaches nearly all of the 306's hub adding some retention to the assembly. Another is that there is no added length to the PV. Yet another is putting to use those discarded 510s. =)

I wanted to retain the cone of the eGo with the 306 for a few reasons. First is how it tightens the draw. Second is the aesthetics. And third is the mess factor. I like not having to continually wipe liquid that seeps out. This meets all that criteria in one fell swoop.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Good to see someone else figure this out also. I did this a while back myself. Its been in service for a while now and holding up well. I did find that the Joye brand fit tighter and hold the 510 sleeve better than the boge 306 does.

IMG_1129.JPG

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Very nice Richie! I was just gonna use the empty 306 cart, but now I'm gonna destroy a dead atty.

thank you for this cool tip.

I think you'll find that it leaks a whole lot less than the specific 306 drip tip too. The gut feeling here is that the 510 metal shell keeps the retention against the 306's hub better than a press fit plastic drip tip.

I'm interested in what vapn pointed out in the post above yours. I don't know if I used a Joye shell or some other one that I resurrected from the "dead atty" bin. =)

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I was referring to the Joye Brand 306 atomizer being slightly larger in diameter and therefore holding on to the 510's shell better. I have one that is so tight I can barely get it off now and a few that are pretty loose.

I like your method of cutting the 306 mouthpiece higher up though. I am cutting them a bit higher up than my pic because juice was getting caught and not making it to the coil.

Nice trick in a pinch especially if you don't have a drip tip for them but have tons of 510/901s laying around or just have a favorite. I feel the drip tip made for the 306 does fit better and also makes for a really small atty. I love 'em! Standard resistance for me though. The LR ones are a bit on the burnt tasting side for me.

Last edited:

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Nice trick in a pinch especially if you don't have a drip tip for them but have tons of 510/901s laying around or just have a favorite. I feel the drip tip made for the 306 does fit better and also makes for a really small atty. I love 'em! Standard resistance for me though. The LR ones are a bit on the burnt tasting side for me.

Absolutely. The caveat of the shorter 306 is lost with this mod. But, I haven't had your luck with the 306 drip tip fitting better. In fact I can watch it leak out the sides as soon as I drip whether it's a Cisco or Joye 306. (apparently slightly different hub diameters between the two)

I suggested something that seems to have fallen on deaf ears to someone who I believe could make this happen... that is, to have the 306's hub threaded before assembly and a matching threaded drip tip (5/16 X 18) -- taking a page from the eGo's cone design as a collector of seeped liquid. It's either not feasible or was deemed an unworthy idea. LOL

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Well that would mean China would have to change their design for the carts they make. Its a good idea for sure but one I don't see happening.

Where did you get your drip tip from? I ordered a few genuine Joye 306 atties (Standard resistance) and a delrin drip tip from electonicstix.com and they fit nice and tight. No leaking what so ever on these bad boys. If you end up with the Boge brand 306 you will find they are slightly smaller in diameter and might not get you that tight fit you need to keep the leaking from happening.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Well that would mean China would have to change their design for the carts they make. Its a good idea for sure but one I don't see happening.

Where did you get your drip tip from? I ordered a few genuine Joye 306 atties (Standard resistance) and a delrin drip tip from electonicstix.com and they fit nice and tight. No leaking what so ever on these bad boys. If you end up with the Boge brand 306 you will find they are slightly smaller in diameter and might not get you that tight fit you need to keep the leaking from happening.

Yeah, I don't see the Chinese re-tooling the 306 line for me. LOL

I have two different types of 306 attys, both LRs, one is the Cisco spec'd (from Liquidxpress) and the other is the *True* Joye from Electronic-ash. The drip tip is from Liquidxpress. The drip tip leaks on both attys. Rob of LX suggests NOT to push the drip tip until it seats against the hub because it's so snug. I tried that, it leaked. Against his suggestion I then pushed it all the way down until it seated and it leaked less but still leaked and it was a TASK to get it off thereafter. I don't know what manufacturer makes this drip tip but I know that Electronic-ash will have then soon coming from SLB. I'll give those a shot.

Also, Super T Manufacturing will be unveiling HIS 306 drip tip soon... a stainless version. Knowing David and his work, I'm sure he will have incorporated some sort of an o-ring or another unique method of sealing e-liquid.

Back to something you said earlier in the thread...

The plan here to utilize the 510 shell was a temporary thing until 306 drip tips were available everywhere, which they pretty much are NOW. At the time only Nhaler had them. BUT, I would like a 306 drip tip (that doesn't leak <g>) in order to take advantage of the shorter 306 atty as compared to the 510. Then, using the longer 900 mah or 1000 mah eGo battery, the length of my device is nearly the same as an out-of-the-box (650 mah w/510) eGo. Thus, more atty and more battery life while retaining a typical eGo length. Dig? =)

Wait, I'm not done... soon, I swear! LOL

Being that the eGo cone is too long for the 306, I can then purchase a Riva (native) 901 cone which is roughly a half inch shorter than a standard eGo (510) cone -- to finish the job clean and smooth.

Okay, done. =)

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
So you can use the Riva 901 cone on a 510 eGo battery? That would make for a nice little device.

As for the leaking issue, is the one you have a hard plastic drip tip? I got one that is delrin and it seems to seat pretty good and no leaking. I'm sure once you get the right one this mod will be in the history books but your right it served its purpose when the drip tips were not readily available. The reason I HAD to do this was the only drip tip I had for the 306 was one of the twisted ones and it had a weird taste to it and I couldn't use my 306.... I still use that sleeve so I can use my favorite drip tip "Super T wide mouth" on the 306 though. I can't wait to see what David comes out with for the 306.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
It's clear, hard plastic. It fits very snug yet leaks... go figure.

David also said that he has "something" coming out for the eGo. I *think* he was alluding to a drip tip but I'm not sure and didn't want to press him for an answer.

I don't have David's imagination or creativity so I don't know what his 306 drip tip will look like. I can only guess that there will be an inner plastic/delrin sleeve like ours have but perhaps a skirt of some kind where it seats on the atty hub? A simple o-ring? <shrug>

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
That is strange, I wonder if it might have very tiny cracks from being so snug and that may be where the liquid is getting out from.

Yea, I can't wait to see what the Super T 306 tip looks like. I have all of the others he makes and they are by far my favorite drip tips in my kit. I really like the twisted ones Drew sells also...

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
My 306 drip tip from liquidXpress leaked pretty bad the first few days, but now its all good.

It took me 2 days to get it all the way down though. Each time it got hot I got it down a bit more. Now that its seated it doesn't leak at all. Down side is I'm pretty sure its not coming off though. Kinda makes the 306 attys a bit more expensive if I have to chuck a 4 dollar drip tip every few weeks with the atty though.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Nice find, Sputnik! I have a dead clearomizer here that is going to donate its tube to the cause. =)

You resurrected a very old thread but I can say this -- I'm STILL using the no-cost 306 to 510 *mod* and having no leak issues whatsoever. (well over a YEAR!) For all intent and purposes the 306 becomes a 510 on the outside and remains a 306 on the inside. 'Tis a win-win all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread