Timtam

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Australia
Using the spell checker | How to | Firefox Help
Firefox has built in spell checking... So does Google chrome

but I'm using IE, the ie does have a spell checker, but it check the WHOLE page, maybe you should removv the checker button for thoose browers that cann't use it.
Give firefox a go, you might like it.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Give firefox a go, you might like it.

Tried Firefox & Chrome and all the others out there - dislike them . . . I prefer to stay with IE and had no problems till the forum changed . . . Now with all the changes I cannot use the spell checker option any longer . . . Nor right click to cut, copy, paste - have to use the "Edit" on the Menu Bar . . . More importantly, I can no longer add any "Fluff" the "Managment Attachment" option no longer works in either the "Post QUick Reply" or in "GO Advanced' (have to now go away from ECF to another site and post any smiley I have in my copmuter as as IMG link . . . Cannot Change Size, Color, etc. withour already knowing the [****] [/*****] . . . THIS IS HORRIBLE ! ! !

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Tried Firefox & Chrome and all the others out there - dislike them . . . I prefer to stay with IE and had no problems till the forum changed . . . Now with all the changes I cannot use the spell checker option any longer . . . Nor right click to cut, copy, paste - have to use the "Edit" on the Menu Bar . . . More importantly, I can no longer add any "Fluff" the "Managment Attachment" option no longer works in either the "Post QUick Reply" or in "GO Advanced' (have to now go away from ECF to another site and post any smiley I have in my copmuter as as IMG link . . . Cannot Change Size, Color, etc. withour already knowing the [****] [/*****] . . . THIS IS HORRIBLE ! ! !

Firefox is way above IE. I own over 100 websites.

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
Firefox is way above IE. I own over 100 websites.

That's not the point -- its what people are comfortable using, you should make the site as user-friendly for us unfrozen cavemen who have had trouble adapting to the (dis-)'information age'. The constant pushing of other browsers is starting to tick me off, this should have been considered when updating IMO and it was obviously not.......

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The problem is, that modern software does not cater for obsolete browsers and realistically we cannot expect it to. It would mean we could not upgrade the forum, and would have to stay three years out of date.

However, we will gradually find fixes for the issues, and hopefully resolve them.

To fix any given problem, we need this information please:

1. The browser and exact version being used. Ex: Internet Explorer 7.3 build #xxxxx
- see top menu >> Help >> About [the browser name].

2. The operating system,ex: Windows Vista, version xxxx Service Pack xx build xxxx
- see Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Information (Windows example).

3. A screenshot of the error message or problem. We recommend PicPick as a good free screengrab utility
- set it to save in gif format, with numbered images.

4. A description of the problem.

This enables our coders to find what the problem is, and either provide a fix here or suggest a solution to the member (for example, upgrade the browser, the issue is fixed in a later version).

Please appreciate that a statement like, "It doesn't work" does not give our support staff enough information to find and fix the problem.

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
You know, roly, I like you, you're an entertaining interview to boot, but you know I don't agree with your assertation. I'm done complaining about it since I want to stay..........Merry Christmas!!!
Christmas_smiley.gif

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Actually I don't mind people insulting me, it's entertaining. Also if IE users don't insult me I tend to feel my job is not done properly yet :)

IE has a substantial user base so we have to take them into account, the same as any other browser usergroup such as Firefox and Chrome users. The problem with IE though is in order for things to work out of the box, we would have to go back to steam power and/or have stuff not work for people with software that was written by people who actually know what they are doing.

So the right thing to do is move with the times, then fix things for MS webapp enthusiasts, who are in a minority now. MS are good at doing operating systems that work seamlessly for the mass of users, but they are absolutely hopeless at anything to do with the web unless it makes them a huge amount of money and they can employ someone to work on it other than the three office juniors they've got running the IE section.

Please don't get me going about IE, it's just about entered the Bronze Age now and next year they might even be looking at the Iron Age. We will apply sticking plasters where needed in order to get it to work. We aren't going to handicap users with apps that actually work like they're supposed to.

However it has to be said that the latest versions of any software, including our forum, don't work smoothly. Any new version of any server app is nothing more than a beta for about two years, no matter how good the authors say it is. Software authors are the #2 group of fantasy merchants after politicians :).

So the blame is not entirely down to IE. In fact we hate all software authors, it's just that we can't live without them now. Something like parking enforcement operatives really.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
"Rolygate" - THANK YOU SO MUCH ! ! !

I fully understand that no one should ever stay behind when it comes to technology, the Internet, Browsers, and just "STUFF" . . . AND I will try almost anything at least once . . . .However, when certain things do just go haywire when the "New & Improved" causes so much havoc with all your other programs and your computer, it is just not what I want to have to deal with all the time . . . Matter of fact, I use to use Netscape (since 1988) and swore I would never use any Microsoft browser (or product) . . . but lets' just say when Netacape went to AOL and then public as Firefox - I went into the domain of HELL . . . AND as for Goggle's Chrome with it's new interface, disgusting new email interface, and wanting to be another "Facebook" - Well if I wanted to be that social - or let people know what I am doing all the time - I'll tell them personally - I don't want anyone to do it for me . . . And now - ALL I WANT TO DO IS SCREAM ! ! !

However, I am very grateful that you willing to accommodate people like myself - who would rather stay with what I have at the moment . . . Although, I would be more then willing to try the next more stable and "non-social" all in one browser that mat come along . . . THANK YOU ! ! !

Anyway, back to the main issue at hand, as you requested . . .

1) Broswer: Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 8.0.6001.18702, 128-bit

2) Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

3) I do not get any typical error message or one that I can do a screen capture and post here.

4) Since the change over, the problems I am and have been encountering:

a - Spell Check: Can no longer spell check post using the ABC Icon option be it in "Quick" or "Advanced mode"

b - None of the other "Options" (i.e., Change Font, Size, Color, etc.) are working as before and/or are now disabled - click on icon and there is nothing listed as before. (Even tried all options to type of format to use under General Settings - I hope that is correct). (BTW: the only Icon that are working for me are the B, I, U; Right, Center, Left; List/Bullet Icons, and Link Icons.)

c - "Paper Clip" Icon and/or "Managment Attachment" will not allow me to upload and/or insert any "Smilies" or "Emoticons" from my computer . . . Matter of fact, sometimes it has disappeared totally. The first time it had all the "smilies" I ever posted listed and would not allow me to drag/drop/insert . . . Now I can no longer upload or insert anything from my computer.

d - To Post any Image in a full size and not as a "small" little icon img in post must first go to another site, upload, and past link into post for it to show up using the the "Insert Image" or if I know the code - such as: [I* * *] [/* * *] .

I hope this information is more complete and what the "coders" need to work on the problem/s . . . If I can provide any futher info and/or there are any other additinal questions concerning this matter - PLEASE let me know and I will try to provide what I can . . .

Again - THANK YOU for stepping in and helping . . .

Now If I could - I would be inserting "My" Smiley Emoticon to show my appreciation to you - but for now this litttle simple smiley will have to do :D

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Actually I don't mind people insulting me, it's entertaining. Also if IE users don't insult me I tend to feel my job is not done properly yet :)

IE has a substantial user base so we have to take them into account, the same as any other browser usergroup such as Firefox and Chrome users. The problem with IE though is in order for things to work out of the box, we would have to go back to steam power and/or have stuff not work for people with software that was written by people who actually know what they are doing.

So the right thing to do is move with the times, then fix things for MS webapp enthusiasts, who are in a minority now. MS are good at doing operating systems that work seamlessly for the mass of users, but they are absolutely hopeless at anything to do with the web unless it makes them a huge amount of money and they can employ someone to work on it other than the three office juniors they've got running the IE section.

Please don't get me going about IE, it's just about entered the Bronze Age now and next year they might even be looking at the Iron Age. We will apply sticking plasters where needed in order to get it to work. We aren't going to handicap users with apps that actually work like they're supposed to.

However it has to be said that the latest versions of any software, including our forum, don't work smoothly. Any new version of any server app is nothing more than a beta for about two years, no matter how good the authors say it is. Software authors are the #2 group of fantasy merchants after politicians :).

So the blame is not entirely down to IE. In fact we hate all software authors, it's just that we can't live without them now. Something like parking enforcement operatives really.

OH - SO TRUE ! ! ! AND - although I would rather use something other than IE - I am however, stuck using IE till the other browsers STOP trying to be "Facebook" - Want Ta BEE'S and/or wanting me to be "Friends" with everyone else . . . I HATE having to Opt out of "Stuff" - if I wanted to join that is one thing - but to assume I want to be a part of this "SH**" is just one of the most reprehensible and disgusting things we have to encounter today - SCREAMS at top of my lungs: LEAVE ME ALONE ! ! !

More importantly, I would like a browser that Doesn't require you to download all the other options and/or "stuff" you might need to keep it secure and/or run with just basic "stuff" . . . ANd then you have to keep updating each and everyone . . .

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I think what I might do is ask the coders to block all browsers apart from Opera. This would be a good solution as there would be no more complaints. Opera users have nothing to complain about.

You know what - I'll give it a try then . . . :)

But - One question . . . Do you really think, even if everyone went "Opera" that NO ONE would have anything to complain about using this browser (or anything else with the Forum) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread