No taste no flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
I'm not sure what's up with the waxy coating. Do you brush your tongue when you brush your teeth? If not, try that. If you do and you still have a coating, you might want to visit your doctor. :?:

The loss of ability to taste seems to be an odd phenomenon that many of us experience from time to time. I don't think anyone has pinned down what the exact cause of that is, but you can try changing flavors from time to time rather than just vaping the same thing over and over. Also, some people swear by the Neti Pot:

YouTube - The Official Neti Pot Demo Video

Quix

Jun 13, 2010
AZ
Howdy, Z.

Expect your taste buds to do flipflops a handful of times over the next few months as you grow em back to full health. Juices that tasted great can flip to awful... and vice versa. Also, ya... there will be times when they just get tasteless. But will all pass and as you find a nice basket of tasty vapables you'll be able to trade em out often enough during the day (i like 4-5 different flavors per day) to keep each tasting fresh.

Also, if you're using VG i hear many report that it has more of the coating effect.

Lastly, if you're vaping *constantly*... another trick I used to help get the punch/taste back was to move to a higher nicotine mg strength, (eg. from 12mg to 24mg) so would be satisfied much more quickly... and then I cut down on the vaping sessions so would mimic my old routine of a number of smoke breaks per day. It took upping back to 24mg for me to be able to enjoy a 10 minute break and feel like i'd "had a smoke".

~Q

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Keeps you hydrated and rinses. If you are using only one flavor, you lose the flavor...like a tolerance ....BTW, the neti pot is great for allergy sufferers and congestion from colds, wierd to do at first but it is amazing what cleaning the sinuses will do.

Too funny! Thanks for the neti pot vid! The friend who turned me on to vaping has reccomended one for years for sinus issues, but I could imagine doing that to myself, lol. Now that I see, it doesn't look all that bad.

Anyway, Zodiak, I have found myself having the same kind of problems whether I use VG or PG. There can be many reasons, but usually it means either my cart is getting to compacted and/or gummy, or my battery is losing power, or I am overheating my atty.
Or a little of all three, lol.
Also true that I tend to get used to flavors over time and become less able to pick up on all the nuances anymore if I vape them constantly....though it seems to have more to do with keeping my device working at peak performance.
For best flavor, I keep a 510 atty I have removed the bridge and wick threads from on hand to use with my 3.7 battery.
I have discovered that I can look down through my drip tip and can see the coils if they go red. If they are red, it means they are dry and I need to add about two drops of fluid, then I will see no red, just some wisps of vapor...and then I vape away!
I get very full flavors this way. The cooler my atty, the better the flavor.
It also helps if I hold my tongue tip up and let the vapor flow over it.
Be aware also...if you suck in overheated vapor or even just air, it will kill your ability taste for awhile, too.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
Lastly, if you're vaping *constantly*... another trick I used to help get the punch/taste back was to move to a higher nicotine mg strength, (eg. from 12mg to 24mg) so would be satisfied much more quickly... and then I cut down on the vaping sessions so would mimic my old routine of a number of smoke breaks per day. It took upping back to 24mg for me to be able to enjoy a 10 minute break and feel like i'd "had a smoke".

~Q

That.

The nic level I was using was a tad low and I tended to chain vape constantly. Upping the nic level put an end to it. I understand what the OP is saying about the waxy/coated feeling. Who knows, it may have something to do with brand or mix of juice as well.

Anyway, it's a possible cure for the problem.

LittleMerced

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I'm not sure what's up with the waxy coating. Do you brush your tongue when you brush your teeth? If not, try that. If you do and you still have a coating, you might want to visit your doctor. :?:

The loss of ability to taste seems to be an odd phenomenon that many of us experience from time to time. I don't think anyone has pinned down what the exact cause of that is, but you can try changing flavors from time to time rather than just vaping the same thing over and over. Also, some people swear by the Neti Pot:

YouTube - The Official Neti Pot Demo Video

Neti Pot is awesome!

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
Too funny! Thanks for the neti pot vid! The friend who turned me on to vaping has reccomended one for years for sinus issues, but I could imagine doing that to myself, lol. Now that I see, it doesn't look all that bad.

It does look pretty innocent and gentle in the video, doesn't it? But my luck, I'd try it and drown myself. :laugh:

Be aware also...if you suck in overheated vapor or even just air, it will kill your ability taste for awhile, too.

I'll bet this is the culprit for the times it happens to me. I drip and I don't always pay attention to whether it's time to drip a bit more, so I often get those horrible hot hits from dry burning - ACK! :ohmy:

LittleMerced

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Are you gonna try it? :shock:

I use one every day! Yes you might choke on it. But you learn how to not do that.

You can also get NeilMed sinus rinse. It shoots straight up the nostril like a nose spray and can be even more effective (it shoots out the other nostril and its quite pleasant). IT comes with premixed rinse and is super easy. :D

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
I use one every day! Yes you might choke on it. But you learn how to not do that.

Not if I'm dead from choking! :ohmy:

You can also get NeilMed sinus rinse. It shoots straight up the nostril like a nose spray and can be even more effective (it shoots out the other nostril and its quite pleasant). IT comes with premixed rinse and is super easy. :D

OMG, a high pressure version of Neti Pot! That would be my undoing for sure. ACK! 8-o

I have to wonder how the poor cavemen got along without these. :p

RobertEM

Aug 23, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
How long does this usually last? I have been vaping for just under a month now and early last week, I started having trouble tasting any flavor when vaping after about 7 pm… then Thursday - nothing!

I have no problem tasting anything else, but when it comes to the vapor, it just taste like steam with the slightest hint of taste and my mouth also feels like it has the "waxy" coating all over.

I have tried just about everything that I could find mentioned on this forum (except for the Neti Pot) but nothing has helped.:(

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
I have no problem tasting anything else, but when it comes to the vapor, it just taste like steam with the slightest hint of taste

This is the part I find disturbing, and the same exact thing happens to me from time to time. I can taste everything else (iced tea, coffee, meals, snacks, etc., etc., etc.) - it's just the taste of vapor that I lose. There don't seem to be any additional factors that occur at the same time, which makes this even tougher to analyze.

Sometimes it lasts one day, sometimes it lasts a few days. Changing flavors makes me feel like I'm doing something about it, although it doesn't seem to fix it. I've also not been able to bring myself to use that Neti Pot. :shock:

I can tell you from personal experience, however, that within an unspecified amount of time, your taste will return. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread