Nomination for Worst Reporting -- the most misleading, egregious and dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
I nominate the following by Linsey Davis for ABC World News Tonight. This report is sensationalized and inflammatory while doing little to serve and inform the public. The reporter make repeated mentions of "vaping", a single reference to vitamin E acetate, yet never states the likely source as determined by the CDC — illegal, black market THC cartridge.

Video: Detroit teenager’s double lung transplant caused by vaping
Code:
abcn.ws
Code:
/2X5POt4

(ECF would not let me embed, so broken link above)

Last edited:
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Then why support it by posting the video here, tempting others to click and watch? Regardless of our views of such media stream(s), just by visiting the page we are supporting said streams by generating view statistics. This media channel does not care whether you believe them or not, their objective is to generate views, or hit counts for the purpose of profit through advertising deals. Viewing this may not have cost you a single penny, but the reality is, you are generating a profit for them - and by sharing it, you are also promoting it. And as one media source builds on view statistics, others follow suit reporting the same BS story attempting to cash in.

Without even watching the video, just by searching “double lung transplant”, based on the text within your link, and only because I was curious of the procedure, top hits where related to this story. The story is already going viral!

Best way to combat false media is to ignore it! Don’t feed the media monster!

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Here's a new nomination for the most egregious and dangerous reporting. This is an article titled "Vacaville Woman Dies From E-Cigarette Complications" by the NBC Bay Area Staff. This article states a woman died from "vaping-related complications" without ever stating a cause or underlying facts that would serve and inform the public.

This NBC report is akin to saying a woman died from eating when she was, in fact, killed by salmonella in contaminated chicken. This NBC report makes no mention that the CDC has identified illegal, black market THC cartridge contaminated with vitamin E acetate as the likely cause of death, or that these deaths are isolated to the United States.

There is no mention that over 50 million ex-smokers successfully use nicotine vaping world-wide to avoid tobacco cigarettes. Or that smoking tobacco cigarettes kills over half of all users including 480,000 people per year in the United States.

Rather this NBC "news" report confuses and conflate legal and illegal substances to sensationalize and inflame — while doing NOTHING to inform nor serve its readers.

Broken link:
Code:
www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/marin-co-woman-dies-from
Code:
-e-cigarettes-complications
Code:
/ar-BBWHTWt

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-14_8-22-23.png
    upload_2019-11-14_8-22-23.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Best way to combat false media is to ignore it! Don’t feed the media monster!

No, I have previously fought (and won) in the propaganda wars. It is time now to publicly "name and shame" any who take part in creating and spreading of half-truth and falsehood. Their credibility and reputations need to be hit every time they do. And it is time to get busy.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Here's a whopper of a LIE by Brent Johnson of NJ Advance Media in "N.J. just moved closer to banning sale of menthol cigarettes, flavored vaping products"

Brent Johnson said:
a rash of illnesses — and deaths — stemming from electronic cigarettes.

Broken link:
Code:
www.nj.com/politics/2019/11/nj-just-moved-closer-to-banning-sale-of-menthol-cigarettes-flavored
Code:
-vaping-products.html

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Here's a real doozy of LIE reported by Brian Krans, Healthline, November 16, 2019 in "Why It’s a Terrible Idea to Make Your Own Vaping Juice":
"Vaping is more dangerous than smoking cigarettes,” he said. “Cigarettes slowly kill you over years, while vaping can cause immediate hospitalization and death.”
(quoting Dr. Osita Onugha, assistant professor of thoracic surgical oncology and director of the Surgical Innovation Lab at John Wayne Cancer Institute at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California.)

It's illegal to yeah "fire!" in a crowded theater so how are physicians and reporters immune for such gross malpractice? Why should they be free to make up and report BALD-FACED LIES without consequence for the people they kill? Absolutely disgusting!

Broken link:
Code:
www.healthline.com/health-news/why-making-your-own-vaping-juice
Code:
-dangerous-unhealthy

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
How might you spell "....."? Well, looks like it could be spelled "Bruce Y. Lee", identified as a Senior Healthcare Contributor for Forbes. Lee refers to illicit THC vape cartridges, sold by drug dealers, as a "brand" of ecigarettes. With such willful media ignorance on full display, it is little wonder that people continue to DIE.

...the recent surge in vaping-related lung problems have raised questions about the safety of e-cigarettes and what contaminants may be present in at least certain brands.

Broken link:
Code:
www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2019/11/18/trump-planned-to-ban

Code:
-flavored-e-cigarettes-whatever-happened-to-that

• Optimistic

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My current favorite is a dude from Germany who was claiming absolutely wild results from an excercise heart rate test. I didn’t even link it at the time because I didn’t know how old it was.

The problem with it was that kind of thing would have to have shown up on various tests since the 1970’s. It was heart not lungs which means blood related so it would apply to any nicotine replacement system. It was crazy extreme enough that I’m going to have my doc look into it when I do my next physical. I’ve been exclusively vaping daily for like 10 years. If it turns out to be BS on me it was BS to start with. If it’s not though I’ll bring it up. I’m giving it a less then 1% chance it’s real.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
This teenager almost died from a vaping-related illness amidst debate over flavor vaping ban

Long after the CDC has attributed the cause of death, CNN Health persists in the DELIBERATE obscuration and conflation of legal nicotine vape products with illicit THC cartridges purchased on the black market. Such irresponsible and morally bankrupt reporting has no doubt directly contributed to this nation’s death toll. It is shocking to find a major media organization continuing to promulgate falsehood when the facts are known — and human life at stake. One can only hope that criminally liability is quickly brought to bear.

Broken Link:
Code:
www.cnn.com/videos/health/2019/11/18/vaping-teenage-illness
Code:
-vape-ban-restrictions-trump-policy.cnn

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Left behind in the widespread hysteria caused by media falsehood, Newsweek reporter, Blake Dodge, has decided it's now okay to make up his own facts. Dodge claims that "certain e-cigarette flavors... have been shown to get kids hooked on vaping." This is patently FALSE. Rather surveys show underage users prefer certain flavors in their illegally obtained e-cigarettes.

Oddly, the significant role of mass-market advertising and distribution by tobacco companies for products like Juul and Blu seem to escape notice of these same media companies. Indeed, the public should rightly consider whether self-interest and profit explain why this elephant in the bathtub is not seen in media reports?

TRUMP NOMINEE FOR FDA COMMISSIONER WITH QUESTIONS ON TEEN VAPING

Broken link:
Code:
www.newsweek.com/senators-bombarded-trump-fda-nominee-questions
Code:
-teen-vaping-1473066

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Doug Stanglin lives up to his reputation with a DANGEROUS and MISLEADING piece for USA TODAY titled "Trump proposes minimum age of 21 for buying vaping products". Stanglin dangerously conflates legal nicotine vape products and illicit THC vape cartridges purchased from drug dealers. This was clarified long ago by the CDC and its repetition is both dangerous and irresponsible.

USA Today should issue an IMMEDIATE RETRACTION and CLARIFICATION. And whether reckless ignorance ormalice, criminal liability should be a consideration.

Broken link:
Code:
www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/
Code:
2019/11/22/vaping-crisis-trump-meet-industry-execs-health-experts/4269682002/

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Today's nomination for the most egregious and dangerous reporting goes to Alexis Rhiannon, Allure, for "Your Guide to the Mysterious “Vaping Illness” That Captivated Our Attention in 2019. Despite clear evidence from the CDC, this reporter continues to propagate an extremely dangerious conflation by US media between legal nicotine products and illicit THC products purchased from drug dealers. As a direct consequence, THC users remain unaware of the very real danger while ex-smokers return to the significantly greater harm of tobacco cigarettes -- nearly half DIE. Cigarette smoking is the largest cause of preventable death in the United States killing 480,000 people every year.

Such reporting is IRRESPONSIBLE and EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. And Allure magazine should make an immediate retraction.

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
The latest nomination for most misleading and dangerous reporting goes to Dina Bair and Katharin Czink, WGN 9 Chicago. While stating, "she vaped marijuana about once a week," this information is shortly discarded. These "reporter" then gloss over CDC findings of vitamin E acetate in all lung injuries examined, the attribution to THC products, and findings of ZERO vitamin E acetate in nicotine vape samples. Yet these reporters write, "The American Vaping Association defends e-cigarette use saying adult users should not be scared off from using store-bought nicotine products, even though that’s exactly what Herger used."

It is disturbing — and dangerous — for WGN 9 Chicago to publish such misguided information so long after we know the facts. It is exactly such misinformation that has contributed to additional lung injury and the return of ex-smokers to cigarettes. Reporters have a responsibility to truth and this is inexcusable.

Broken link:
Code:
wgntv.com/2019/12/03
Code:
/it-was-all-legal-then-i-got-sick-woman-warns-of-vaping-dangers-after-lung-illness-sends-her-to-icu/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rossum

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Today's nomination for most misleading, egregious and dangerous reporting goes to Abby Haglage, Yahoo Lifestyle. This reporter attributes a case of “hard-metal pneumoconiosis” to e-cigarettes and vaping. While never mentioning the patient had begun heavy use of illicit THC Vapes 6 months prior to onset. Despite physician testing and reporting of the device used, the reporter presents ZERO information about the device or product used. This is akin to reporting a case of food poisoning due to eating. Thus Yahoo Lifestyle not only misinforms the unaffected, but denies critical information to those most at risk.

Broken link:
Code:
www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/womans-ecigarette-habit-leads-to-her
Code:
-cobalt-lung-diagnosis-an-incurable-disease-found-only-in-metal-workers-231001506.html

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I get the reason for the thread, I do. And I like the summaries because I am never going to waste my time on the articles frankly. And I also get it is your "vape thing" to do and I applaud it.

It's just every time I see it, I think, can't we just put "the media, all of it" and be done with it? That's how it seems these days. The propaganda machine is alive and well and not just with vaping....

Anna

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
You are correct about the propaganda machine. This is a very real campaign funded by billionaire Michael Bloomberg with $180M given to Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids for the express goal of banning ecig flavors. Much of this went to D.C. lobbyists and N.Y. media relations firm — and what you are seeing is exactly what they do. They launched quickly after the CDC's initial finding on lung injury.

Make no mistake, these are the techniques of information warfare pure and simple. I have dealt with (and beaten) before. The lies and liars will escalate quickly and if they are not confronted directly in all available avenues. One solid technique (when available) is reasoned responses/comments on such "news" stories which often draw more readership than their story.

We must fight the good fight — or we are certain to lose. Cheers

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Today's nomination for most misleading, egregious and dangerous reporting goes to Abby Haglage, Yahoo Lifestyle. This reporter attributes a case of “hard-metal pneumoconiosis” to e-cigarettes and vaping. While never mentioning the patient had begun heavy use of illicit THC Vapes 6 months prior to onset. Despite physician testing and reporting of the device used, the reporter presents ZERO information about the device or product used. This is akin to reporting a case of food poisoning due to eating. Thus Yahoo Lifestyle not only misinforms the unaffected, but denies critical information to those most at risk.

Broken link:
Code:
www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/womans-ecigarette-habit-leads-to-her
Code:
-cobalt-lung-diagnosis-an-incurable-disease-found-only-in-metal-workers-231001506.html
That same basic story appeared in several outlets over the last day or two. :mad:

• Agree

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
That same basic story appeared in several outlets over the last day or two. :mad:

True. However, Abby Haglage and Yahoo Lifestyle well earned their nomination by failing even the basic disclose that this was a THC device. Any reporter who cannot distinguish nicotine from THC deserves full public scorn. :nah:

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Today's nomination goes to Joy Powers, WUWM 89.7, Milwaukee for her direct contribution to illness and death among the fine citizens of Wisconsin. Weeks after the CDC has confirmed not a single nicotine vaping product linked to recent lung injuries, this reporter disputes the CDC findings and misinforms the public as to the true cause, ref. "Investigating Illness: Wisconsin Doctors Link Vaping To Mysterious Illness In Teens".
"When they came in, they all had coughing, shortness of breath, a lot of them had fevers. Those were kind of the acute symptoms that brought them to the hospital. Although in retrospect, for probably the month to three months before they had been having some nausea, decreased appetite, weight loss,"
"The real problem is the nicotine, it's the exposure to chemicals
Broken link:
Code:
wuwm.com/post/investigating-illness-wisconsin-doctors-link-vaping
Code:
-mysterious-illness-teens
This article does not even make a passing mention of the illicit and tainted THC cartridges that have actually killed 52 people and sickened 2,409. Health reporters incapable of accurately identify a product that is killing people, nor distinguishing between legal nicotine and illicit THC products, should look for a less-responsible line of work. And WUWM 89.7 should issue an immediate correction to protect the public.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread