NON imr batts with the Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fra211

Verified Member
Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered but is it possible to use NON high drain batts with the Provari? I am specifically talking about the 18650.

I have a good stock of Redilast and AW 2900 mah 18650's (Panasonic cell) that are capable of 2C discharge (5.8A) whereas the IMR 18650's are capable of 8C or something like that (12A). I figure since the unit limits current at ~2.5A anyway, wouldn't a standard 18650 work as well? I'm not 100% sure how the boost circut works but I can't imagine it is drawing more than 2-3 amps of current. And unless you are planning to run some rediculous 13-14 watts, I highly doubt you would need to flow that much current anyhow....

Just a thought since a non IMR battery can provide significantly longer life than the IMR's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
In the big long thread, they mentioned that the wrong battery would cause erratic operation, as the protection circuitry kicked in (thinking the battery was getting drained). Later in the same thread someone reported that kind of behavior when they tried using a non-recommended battery.

It didn't sound like it hurt anything, so there's no harm in trying it, but if it acts flaky, use the recommended battery.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
It didn't sound like it hurt anything, so there's no harm in trying it, but if it acts flaky, use the recommended battery.

So far this seems to be the case. My buddy is using a pair of UltraFire 18500 without issue. Since I ordered them in for him I also tested them out on my own ProVari without issue.

SikVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Cali
It will work but not as long as the IMR.

Really even though the mah is higher on the black ones?

I have and it works fine using them. great batt choice.

Thanks for the confirmation, you didnt need to use a magnetic spacer because I think its a flat-top?
Also, are you getting more than a day's worth of use with the 2900mah AW 18650?

Last edited:

mergryphon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Really even though the mah is higher on the black ones?

Thanks for the confirmation, you didnt need to use a magnetic spacer because I think its a flat-top?
Also, are you getting more than a day's worth of use with the 2900mah AW 18650?

I have some TrustFire Flame 18650s, some protect AW black 2600mah 18650s, some off brand IMR 18650s, and some Samsung 2800mah 18650s, I can only get the flames to work without a spacer, but in all cases the 18650 extension cap does not go on completely.

Should I not be using these? Does the AW IMR the only one that fits right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread