Noob question regarding pass-through battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone....my first post on ecf; hope I'm not repeating a question that's been asked & answered a hundred times over. Anyway, I just received my eGo-C Upgrade 900mAh Pass-Through batt yesterday, along with a Kanger EVOD clearomizer, and in one word: "Wow". I'm 18 days into vaping, and was getting increasingly frustrated with the stinking little cig-alike battery & cartos that I started with (puff, charge, drip...puff, charge, drip... puff, charge, drip), and was starting to wonder if it was all worth it, with the constant charging, iffy vapor/taste from the cartos, etc. I would recommend to any new vapers to ditch that setup as soon as you're reasonably certain you want to continue vaping and move up to a larger battery & a clearomizer. It is a COMPLETELY different (and fulfilling) vaping experience. The EVODs rock!

My question is this: With a pass-through, is the overall life of the battery extended by using the pass-through whenever you're able to versus running off the battery charge only? In other words, does the pass-through completely bypass the battery output, thus extending its life by reducing the discharge cycles?

Thanks for your help. This forum has been a great resource in getting up & running.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Pass through is nice. My first eGo setup was a pass through. It lost it's ability to hold a charge, quite a bit faster than my non-pass through batteries. I was constantly using it on the charger. The other pass through would get full charges, and I only used it while charging, once in a while. That battery has held up a lot better. If you want it to last longer (IMO) maybe only use it during charging in a pinch.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My question is this: With a pass-through, is the overall life of the battery extended by using the pass-through whenever you're able to versus running off the battery charge only? In other words, does the pass-through completely bypass the battery output, thus extending its life by reducing the discharge cycles?

AFAIK, a pass-through with a battery in it is always using the battery to power the coil. A lithium ion battery is typically said to last about 300 cycles if it is charged to about 4.2 V and discharged to about 3.3 V per cycle. If you leave it at or close to full charge all the time, like it will be if you leave it plugged in all the time you are vaping, it will regrade quicker than if you cycle it. If you do not fully charge and/or do not fully discharge it every cycle it will last more cycles.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
Thanks, guys.....that makes alot of sense. I had no idea that there was a pass-through w/o a battery. Since I do alot of my vaping at my computer and in my car, that seems like a really economical way to go.
You will need to find a usb power supply/adapter (eg. ipad charger) with about 2.1 amps to be able to get enough power using only pass thru without battery in it.
The other thing is that I would rather have a burned out cheap power supply than the blown MB on my computer. That's why I will never ever charger my batteries on my computer nor my lappy. Be ware.
Cheers.

Last edited:

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
Hey everyone....my first post on ecf; hope I'm not repeating a question that's been asked & answered a hundred times over. Anyway, I just received my eGo-C Upgrade 900mAh Pass-Through batt yesterday, along with a Kanger EVOD clearomizer, and in one word: "Wow". I'm 18 days into vaping, and was getting increasingly frustrated with the stinking little cig-alike battery & cartos that I started with (puff, charge, drip...puff, charge, drip... puff, charge, drip), and was starting to wonder if it was all worth it, with the constant charging, iffy vapor/taste from the cartos, etc. I would recommend to any new vapers to ditch that setup as soon as you're reasonably certain you want to continue vaping and move up to a larger battery & a clearomizer. It is a COMPLETELY different (and fulfilling) vaping experience. The EVODs rock!

Thanks for your help. This forum has been a great resource in getting up & running.

I don't think it will hurt it any - vaping on a passthrough. The reason is strictly anecdotal. I have an 650 mah ego passthrough battery that will not die. I bought it in September of 2010 from Liberty Flights, back when the 650mah ego passthrough just came out. Because I work as systems analyst, and am handicapped with limited mobility, and admittedly addicted to my computers, I am on or near a computer most of the day, and when I am my ego is, at least 50% of the time plugged in being used as a passthrough. I was my primary PV untill I bought my Itaste vv almost 2 months ago. That ego still works, and still hold a charge. All of it's paint has worn off a long time ago, and of course it is the old model, it does't even have 5 click cut off. Somes say these batteries can only be charged 300 times, this ego has been charged at least 4 times that and is still working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread