Noob questions about rebuildable dripping atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntmux

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2013
paris
I am a noob in vaping and curious about everything so after all kinds of clearos, cartos, now I want to try this dripping system. Here I have some questions.

-Do I need to buy wicks and wires to build it?
I suppose for each build the resistance may vary?

-Once it is built, how long would it last? Once you start to get burn taste, clean it or rebuild another one?

-How much juice you generally drip into the atty and it holds for how many draws?
On youtube video I saw people drip only 5-10 drops, but there are dripping atty with different volume like 1.5ml, 3.0ml, if we only need to drip 5-10 drops into it, whats the point of different volume?

-Do you need to count puffs to prevent the wicks from drying and burning?

I know noob is annoying but please help, thanks:laugh:

dhughey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Memphis, TN

You can buy 10ft of silica wick, which is a lot for a dripper. This would give you plenty to cut to size, and experiment with.
As far as the resistance, the length of your coil and what gauge wire you use will determine this. I would say start with some 32awg or 30awg. It's not really suggested to do sub ohm until you have a good understanding of how everything works.

-Once it is built, how long would it last? Once you start to get burn taste, clean it or rebuild another one?

This depends on how you build it. Lower ohms mean the wick won't last as long. But as cheap as it is, you can always build another one.

-How much juice you generally drip into the atty and it holds for how many draws?

I have an igo-l, which i think is probably a good start for someone new to rda. The igo-l will hold 8-10 drops, and you can chain vape it for a while..

You will know when it is getting dry, you will be able to taste it.

I know noob is annoying but please help, thanks:laugh:

the only way to learn is by asking questions and experimenting. we were all new to this once.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
drippers are the BOMB, after a few tries and getting it down you will never enjoy a clero again.

its simple really i take the wick and a paperclip to hold it stiff, about an inch & 1/2 or so in length wrap the wire around the wick attach the leads in the atty, pull out the paperclip and test fire, once im sure it's ok i enjoy.

once you know what wick and wire you prefer you kind of can get close to the same resistance and set up every time. i rinse them out every day and change wicks on a whim most times.

its not hard, its very rewarding, and the vape is fantastic.

the size of the atty itself, and the amount of wick used will semi determine the capacity but overfilling leads to flooding. they are not care free but simple to use. i put about 7 drops in my cyclone and 10 in my v5 and 15 in my modified octopus.

while you dont need to buy a lot to get started my kanthal is 10 bucks for 100 feet. my preferred silica is 10 bucks for 10 feet, im still working on the roll of wick i bought in dec.

Last edited:

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca

yes, you need to buy both. look for silica wick and kanthal resistance wire - both are available pretty cheap. resistance depends on how much wire you use, and the wire gauge. the lower the number, the bigger the wire and the lower the resistance, so a 28 AWG wire is bigger and has less resistance than a 32 AWG wire. also, 6 coils will have higher resistance than 3 coils, assuming both use the same gauge. once you get used to it, you should be able to wrap a coil to an approximate resistance just by experience.

you can clean it. when it starts to get gunked up, dry burn it a little bit or take a lighter to it to burn off some of the gunk. i like to throw mine in alcohol overnight as well to help clear it out (i usually use vodka). rebuild maybe once a month or so. either way, it's MUCH cheaper than buying new cartos or replacement heads for vivi nova's, evod's, etc.

On youtube video I saw people drip only 5-10 drops, but there are dripping atty with different volume like 1.5ml, 3.0ml, if we only need to drip 5-10 drops into it, whats the point of different volume?

the volume mostly depends on the physical size of the wick you build. if you make a tiny little wick that's only slightly bigger than your coil, it will only hold a few drops before becoming oversaturated. i tend to build fairly large wicks, and drip somewhere around 20 drops at a time.

you'll know when it's time to refill by taste - the flavor and vapor starts to become less intense as you vape through the juice. when the flavor is almost gone, just add a few more drops.

hope this helps to get you started - good luck!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Thanks you all for helping me, I think I have now a better understanding of dripping, going to try that out :rolleyes:
Will some one pls tell me 10drops for example, it is about how many puffs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
hard to say as there is too many different things going on.
depends on the set up, how big is the wick and atty, and how heavy you vape.
at work 10 drops gets me 1/2 hour maybe 45 minutes, same atty at home sitting here chain vaping is 15 minutes.
drippers are just that, for dripping, its a small inconvenience to pay for the amount of flavor and vapor you get.

some people drip when its easy for them and use tanks everywhere else.

Rmcgloth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Sandy,or
Sorry to bring up this old thread but I have a noob question for RDA too. Can I drip directly into the drip tip, or I have to take it out first and drip on the wick?

Personal preference. I don't take mine out, but I use a needle top on the bottle so it is dripping down in the tip, not on the rim. Unless you don't mind the occasional raw juice on the tongue. The tip shape can make a difference here too, as a long tip might take a while for the juice to get to the wick.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Another question about rba. Can you change flavors just as easy as a standard atomizer? I like to change my flavors pretty often. Does it have to be rinsed and cleaned and/or dry burned between flavor changes?

Ideally, yes....for maximum flavor benefit....just rinse under VERY HOT water, let dry (I use canned "air" like keyboard cleaner!!) and dry-burn....DON'T DRY-BURN COTTON WICK!!!!!! Swap it out!!
Actually takes less time to DO it....than EXPLAIN it!!:D

pnut599

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Michigan, USA
SO, I live somewhat near Ahulsion. So I stopped in. Very nice shop with a hookah type lounge and a coffee bar. I didn't have long to spend, so I got right to the RBA's. The shop guy recommended the IGO-S. I thought that was one I didn't want, but I got it anyways. For $13.00 why not. Brought it home. Looked up a video on Youtube on how to build it and off I went. Took me about 10 min. Ended up at 2.5ohm which is fine I think. Dripped 10 drops and OMG just AMAZING. What a difference from a 510 atomizer to a rebuildable.

Now, I just hope that once that flavor is close to done and I change flavors what's going to happen. I will find out that's for sure and for how easy it was to build a coil.....pffft, I'll just build another one. I'm one of the few females out there that doesn't mind trying this kind of stuff and if I can do it, anyone can!!

GO FOR IT!!!

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Great, isn't it????!!!:D
Don't think I'll EVER put my Boba's Bounty in anything but a dripper!!
Just got 2 more IGO-L's yesterday....plus 100' of 30ga. kanthal....
With my lifetime supply of cotton...I'll be happy for awhile, methinks!!
ENJOY!!:)
Happy (vaping) Trails!
PS.....the -S is a bit harder to work with, given its smaller size....but those who have them say that smaller size "concentrates" the flavor more..and they're (usually) a couple of bucks less than the -L!!

Last edited:

jotook24tovaip

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas Tx. USA
I am new too! Built my first coil Thurs night (2.3) and did my first dual 10 min. later (came out 4.4) tried again came out (1.3) whoo hoo! I tink I can, I tink I can! It is better than pretty much anything else save my fiddled with iclears and I haven't even tried sub ohm. Don't own a mech. (Guess what's next:blush:)
If I've said it once....this is a bit more than inhaling vapor isn't it? Playing with stuff is becoming a whole hobby in itself.

Jjshbetz11

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Ohio
I am new too! Built my first coil Thurs night (2.3) and did my first dual 10 min. later (came out 4.4) tried again came out (1.3) whoo hoo! I tink I can, I tink I can! It is better than pretty much anything else save my fiddled with iclears and I haven't even tried sub ohm. Don't own a mech. (Guess what's next:blush:)
If I've said it once....this is a bit more than inhaling vapor isn't it? Playing with stuff is becoming a whole hobby in itself.
Lol, it quickly becomes a hobby! I think more so for people who like to tinker with stuff

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Nice going!!:D
My first coil with the 30ga. kanthal.....9 turns on a 1/16" rod......came out at 1.8 in my IGO-L!!!
Stuck in a sterile cotton wick...dripped some Nicoticket Creme Brulee....................
So THIS is what all the fuss was about....!!!!!;)
Vaping Nirvana!!!
Tried to re-coil a Protank 2 head after watching GrimmGreen's video....my eyes and hands ain't what they used ta was!! Think I'll stay with the Kanger pre-builts for now...!!
happy (vaping) Trails!

pnut599

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Michigan, USA
Yes, I have to agree with what Dasblucig said "this is what the fuss is about". My first vape off the igo-s I think my eyes popped out of my head. So much vapor. Just amazing.
I still don't really understand watts and ohms other than if it reads at 2.0-2.5 I won't explode and it seems fine to me.

Yes, JJ it has become a hobby....a very expensive hobby right now since I'm still learning and trying stuff, but I know it will level out....someday lol but I LOVE IT.

Dasblu - I know that this has been discussed every other thread, but what kind of cotton do you use? The first thing I bought to try cotton was cheesecloth. Works great, but pulling apart strands is getting old. So, today I went to Walgreen's and picked up a bag of 100% cotton makeup pads and after looking at the gauze for a half hour and several Walgreen employees stopping by to try and help me, I finally found one that said 100% cotton. The regular Johnson and Johnson gauze pads are made out of some polyester mix which I was surprised to see. Just curious what YOU used.

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
Great info here folks and very much appreciated. I've been using the Igo-L for about a week now and I love it. Only used the two generic wick/coils that came with it so far. But...after doing my ECF homework on wire gauges and wick types I'm off to do my first order now. Wanted to use MtBakerVapor for it but a lot of wire they have is out of stock. So I think LiteCig will be it. I always thought this wouldn't be worth it, that I'd have a couple of draws and then have to keep adding. But this far exceeds my expectations. 3 or 4 drops and I'm good for 10 or 15 minutes. And I vape pretty heavy. Then, just pull off the tip, drip a few, all of about two seconds and I'm good to go again. Really happy I've found this. And thankful to ECF folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread