not sure what happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
I got sent an article from huff post by my wife who is concerned because she is now pregnant
in the article states that the diethylene glycol in eciggs is a highly toxic chem used in antifreeze

I went on to say that is just hype its used in inhalers and is not the toxic chem in antifreeze its the non toxic one
all the things I read in this forum
but I get return email with wikopedia showing it is highly toxic Chemical
:confused:
whats the deal with diethylene glycol? is it toxic or not should I be concerned?

Last edited:

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
I got sent an article from huff post by my wife who is concerned because she is now pregnant
in the article diethylene glycol show that the diethylene glycol in eciggs is a highly toxic chem used in antifreeze

I went on to say that is just hype its used in inhalers and is not the toxic chem in antifreeze its the non toxic one
all the things I read on this forum
but I get return email with wikopedia showing it is highly toxic Chemical
:confused:
whats the deal with diethylene glycol? is it toxic or not should I be concerned?

Yes it's toxic. No you should not be concerned!
The article was written from a source that was either ignorant, or being intentionally obtuse!

diethylene glycol is not used in e-cig juice...
Propylene Glycol IS and it's harmless unless you have a specific sensitivity to it. Like any other alergy, I.e., peanuts, tree nuts, dumbass writers etc...

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
how do they get away with saying diethylene glycol is used if it is not?
The article clearly uses the words diethylene glycol specifically

I would assume they could not use that in the article if it were not true at all
I know they can twist the fact but can they make up there own facts?
isn't there some type of liability

Last edited:

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
diethylene glycol is NOT used in MOST liquid. That reference was from 1 or 2 samples from some Chinese liquid in a study from 2009. Reputable liquid manufacturers in the US only use 4 ingredients in their liquid - vegetable glycerin (non-toxic), propylene glycol (non-toxic), nicotine, and flavoring. Propylene Glycol is ALSO used in some anti-freeze as a substitute for the diethylene glycol to make the product safe(r) - in case it comes in contact with animals or children. All these recent articles are complete BS, and irresponsible journalism.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
diethylene glycol is NOT used in MOST liquid. That reference was from 1 or 2 samples from some Chinese liquid in a study from 2009. Reputable liquid manufacturers in the US only use 4 ingredients in their liquid - vegetable glycerin (non-toxic), propylene glycol (non-toxic), nicotine, and flavoring. Propylene Glycol is ALSO used in some anti-freeze as a substitute for the diethylene glycol to make the product safe(r) - in case it comes in contact with animals or children. All these recent articles are complete BS, and irresponsible journalism.

AND the samples you reference, were extracted from pre-filled cartredges, and only showed trace amounts, probably from accidental contamination.

Absolutely NOT an actual ingredient.

Today reputable Chinese manufacturers (Dekang, FeelLife, Hangsen) work in internationally certified laboratory Clean Room environments and are held to much higher standards than most American juice makers...

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
And to be perfectly clear on the subject...

Propylene Glycol has been approved as an inactive ingredient in inhalation therapy devices and is listed as such on most if not all asthma inhalers...

Next time you're in the grocery store or a pharmacy grab a Primatine mist asthma inhalor off the shelf and read the ingredients...

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
how do they get away with saying diethylene glycol is used if it is not?
The article clearly uses the words diethylene glycol specifically

I would assume they could not use that in the article if it were not true at all
I know they can twist the fact but can they make up there own facts?
isn't there some type of liability

They COULD be sued for slander, but only if it can be proved that the intentionally wrote misleading facts for malicious purposes.
Almost impossible, as they'll just blame it on their source material, which will claim ignorance...

So Yes, they can pretty much pull <expletive deleted> out of their ... and publish whatever they want to.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
I can see no problem with Propylene Glycol,
I see now how they get that diethylene glycol from 1 study guess that makes it ok to use in the article (any loophole)
because the media today really pushes the shady envelope

just disgusted with the media anymore all of them not just on this subject but just about everything
there is no honor

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
here's the part my wife was concerned about;

A 2009 FDA analysis of e-cigarettes from two leading brands found that the samples contained carcinogens and other hazardous chemicals, including diethylene glycol, which is found in antifreeze. Last year, a report from Greek researchers found that using e-cigarettes increased breathing difficulty in both smokers and non-smokers, according to Medical News Today.

here's the link;9 Terribly Disturbing Things About Electronic Cigarettes
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/electronic-cigarettes_n_3818941.html

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
here's the part my wife was concerned about;

Last year, a report from Greek researchers found that using e-cigarettes increased breathing difficulty in both smokers and non-smokers, according to Medical News Today.

Proof that this is totally false can be found right here on this forum. I read testimonies every day that shows just how false it is. Folks here don't have an agenda. Apparently these folks do.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
Yes after the info on this thread and continue search's and this CASAA article
http://casaa.org/uploads/Are_Electronic_Cigarettes_Safe.pdf ,

I see why the study is from 2009 Clearly if that was found today they would be all over it
but the fact that they have to point to 1 2009 study shows there intention

The shame is from 1st glance it looks bad
and to some one who does not vape they may not have looked further and just gotten a wrong impression

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
Proof that this is totally false can be found right here on this forum. I read testimonies every day that shows just how false it is. Folks here don't have an agenda. Apparently these folks do.

Go to the CASSA section and read some of the articles there... For every one of these malicious "Research" findings there are 5 - 10 that prove the exact opposite.

In particular read the recent article on a clean room study of the environmental effects on air quality related to second hand vapor.... SPOILER: It dissipates so fast there's no such thing!

Unless you have a specific sensitivity to it Propylene Glycol does not cause breathing difficulty... Hence it's use in asthma inhalers...

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
Time to break out my media literacy soap box (we need a soap box icon). What you have to bear in mind is that the "news" is a business first (at least in the U.S.). Their objective is not to create a well informed populace, but to get ratings or circulation without pissing off their sponsors so that they can generate more ad revenue. I do still believe most journalists try to approach the matter with some integrity and inform the public of what they need to know, but the decisions as to what to cover are made by editors and boards of directors whose only concern is profitability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread