noticed an interesting connection in "dud" cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashabrown

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2012
Minnesota
My apologies if I'm not using the right technical language!

So I was let go from my job in December and although we're ok with the bills and paying for my Type one diabetes supplies (getting unemployment, working on my nonprofit while I search for a new job) we're on a strict budget for anything that isnt a "need". So I'm going through my stockpile of cartos that I've acquired in the past few years. I've noticed that the smoktech cartos and even some of the ikenvapes tend to have something in common when they lack their regular reliable performance: the coil in these cartos are very close to the out rim and barely immersed in the batting/cotton wick stuff. To me this makes sense; the coil isnt buried enough in the wicking material to be able to properly do its job, so it means I get a few half-assed vapes, then it starts to taste burned, even if its a freshly primed carto (and I am really good at priming these suckers).

Has anyone else noticed this connection? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to salvage a dud like this? I've tossed a few and just kept digging around in my stash until I find a decent one, but if there's a way to still get some life out of the cartos that have a coil like this (way to close to middle section, not inside the batting enough the way they should be) I'd love to know!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As to trying to resurrect a "bad" carto, forget about it. :(

All cartomizer manufacturers have had their ups and downs with quality control over the years. I'm not making excuses for the manufacturers, but these are being made by the millions by hand by poorly paid factory workers in China. There's no way that each and every carto can be checked for quality control.

I used and preferred cartomizers for years and had my ups and downs with their quality. Some suppliers will replace defective units (Ikenvape will). For the last several months I've been using homemade rebuildable coils exclusively in my RTA and RBA. Cheaper in the long run and much better flavor and vapor production than anything factory made.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    My apologies if I'm not using the right technical language!

So I was let go from my job in December and although we're ok with the bills and paying for my Type one diabetes supplies (getting unemployment, working on my nonprofit while I search for a new job) we're on a strict budget for anything that isnt a "need". So I'm going through my stockpile of cartos that I've acquired in the past few years. I've noticed that the smoktech cartos and even some of the ikenvapes tend to have something in common when they lack their regular reliable performance: the coil in these cartos are very close to the out rim and barely immersed in the batting/cotton wick stuff. To me this makes sense; the coil isnt buried enough in the wicking material to be able to properly do its job, so it means I get a few half-assed vapes, then it starts to taste burned, even if its a freshly primed carto (and I am really good at priming these suckers).

Has anyone else noticed this connection? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to salvage a dud like this? I've tossed a few and just kept digging around in my stash until I find a decent one, but if there's a way to still get some life out of the cartos that have a coil like this (way to close to middle section, not inside the batting enough the way they should be) I'd love to know!

You're doing better than me. I tried 3 times over a few years with the Smok 1.7's and everytime no matter if it was gurgling wet, I got the burnt taste. Each darn one!

Ikens I've only tried once and found them similar enough to Boges that the xtra cost wasn't justified.

Soooo I'm stuck on the Boge and that's that. I've just started a new priming thing I found on youtube and it's working Great. Put it in my Blogs.

We sure have little to choose from with cartos, huh?

stevegmu

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2013
    6992 kilometers from home...
    IBTanked ships their glass in tubes with lids- like 35mm film canisters. You push the carto in, fill the tank, then put it in the Thingy- what they call the canister. Screw on and unscrew the lid a few times. You will see bubbles rise to the top of the tank, which means the carto is filling. after 4-5 twists on and off, the carto is primed and ready to vape. Takes about a minute to fill and prime a tank.

16hk9zk.jpg

bfrfvn.jpg

Last edited:

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    All cartomizer manufacturers have had their ups and downs with quality control over the years. I'm not making excuses for the manufacturers, but these are being made by the millions by hand by poorly paid factory workers in China. There's no way that each and every carto can be checked for quality control.

The QC is so annoying. I use Boge's- just my personal preference. Couple weeks ago, in a box of 5, 2 were DOA. Now my current box (SR), I have had one read 3.6ohm, 2 reading 4.0 ohms, 2 reading 3.2 ohm... Where's the QC? There is none.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    The QC is so annoying. I use Boge's- just my personal preference. Couple weeks ago, in a box of 5, 2 were DOA. Now my current box (SR), I have had one read 3.6ohm, 2 reading 4.0 ohms, 2 reading 3.2 ohm... Where's the QC? There is none.

Try getting them from a place with a high turnover? Surevapes - Hoosiervapes.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Try getting them from a place with a high turnover? Surevapes - Hoosiervapes.

I get from Lite Cig USA... But doubt it matters since they are all selling Boge's, which are all manufactured at the same place. Probably have machines pumping these out by the thousands, with no QC in place to check them (or randomly check one out of every hundred)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread