Notification of Postage Rate Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
At the beginning of the year, the U.S. Postal Service has increased their rates. Sadly, we must also. So, as of 1/10/11, our flat rate will increase from $5 to $5.25.

This isn't a huge difference to you, but it could mean a VERY huge cost to us if we don't increase our rates.

If you have any questions, please hit me up here.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
I've always wondered why suppliers charge a separate line for shipping. Any insight, Geoff? I mean, if you built an extra $1 or two into the cost of each bottle and made shipping "free" then would it balance out or would it swing wildly to one side (too little) or the other (too much)? I think a lot of people get excited about "free shipping" and it is a good thing for business, eventhough we all know it is not REALLY free.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Industrial, everybody does things the way they fit their business model. This is just the way we handle business, we don't try and account for anyone else.

If it makes you feel better buying expensive things that have "free shipping", cool, me, I just didn't want to play with psychology/marketing and just disclose what we do, and why we do it.

Timtam

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Australia
I've always wondered why suppliers charge a separate line for shipping. Any insight, Geoff? I mean, if you built an extra $1 or two into the cost of each bottle and made shipping "free" then would it balance out or would it swing wildly to one side (too little) or the other (too much)? I think a lot of people get excited about "free shipping" and it is a good thing for business, eventhough we all know it is not REALLY free.

I guess the problem with doing it this way would be if you order more than 5 bottles of juice, the prices do not properly reflect the price of postage. Same goes if you order only one or two, then Geoff is losing money.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's not the postage rates that bug the s#i] out of me, it's the profit the vendor makes on it. Look, the vendor is making a profit already on the merchandised sold. Why squeeze more from us. How come some sites charge 2.50 for USPS priority mail? And... it arrives in 3 days. Wake up customers

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
It's not the postage rates that bug the s#i] out of me, it's the profit the vendor makes on it. Look, the vendor is making a profit already on the merchandised sold. Why squeeze more from us. How come some sites charge 2.50 for USPS priority mail? And... it arrives in 3 days. Wake up customers

Really? Pfft.

We charge a flat rate of $5 (soon $5.25) for USPS Priority Mail. This means if someone orders three liquids, it will be $5.25. If someone orders 50 liquids, and quite a few people do, we still charge $5.25, even though the actual postage is somewhere around $36.00. And we're profiting from this?

Easy to grab a torch and pitchfork and proclaim to the masses "Wake up customers", but it looks better on you if you apply a little more thought to things before trying to incite a riot.

I think you need to bend your angst more towards those clowns in the mall kiosks that are charging you $200 for a Green Smoker kit telling you it'll last lifetime and $30 for 15ml of liquid they claim will last 3 months.

Tasty Vapor is the LEAST of anybody's worries in terms of honesty and integrity.

Last edited:

siouxsie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Minnesota

I'm not really sure what you're saying because what you wrote doesn't make any sense. Is a vendor (don't even know which vendor is being dissed, I assume Geoff because you're posting in this forum, but then you post "Let the truth be told. Amen brother.") supposed to charge half what it costs to ship packages? I have never seen anybody charge $2.50 for priority shipping. I have only seen the free shipping model where the cost is "hidden" in the pricing of the merch.

What I do know, is that if a vendor does charge for shipping, except when there is a threshold of $ of merch ordered, then I usually will wait until I can purchase that amount or more to get the "free shipping". Same effect with flat rate. I will generally order more if the shipping rate is the same regardless of the amount purchased. Same with the discount tiers, like TV's starting at $100 if I remember correctly.

With straight out free shipping, I tend to order whatever amount is convenient and however often I feel like it, UNLESS the merch prices are so obviously padded to cover it. I happen to think the TV model works for me as a customer and it must work for Geoff or they wouldn't be doing it.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thing is, we're generally charging 15 cents over what it actually costs to ship out the packages. This isn't a profit, nor do we call it a handling fee, it is simply to defray the cost of what it costs us to ship out the medium, large or other size package since there too, we're only charging $5 flat rate and it does not cost us $5 to ship them, it's a lot more. In the end, we usually absorb this cost. So, this whole accusation of us profiting from shipping...wearing an .......

Regardless, at midnight tonight, the new rate will be implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread