Not open for further replies.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I think the cotton that comes with the STM is organic Japanese cotton. I find that the first couple of draws off cotton has a funky taste, so I'll vape at a little lower power for a few hits. I've pulled out some cellucotton (rayon) here recently (it had been on a shelf for a number of months), and it's pretty clean tasting from the start.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
it may not be the cotton at all. Granted, you want to use organic, but you also need to be aware of how clean your fingers are. Any oils or anything else that may be on your hands will transfer to the cotton. I always wash my hands when rebuilding and try not to touch the cotton that is going to be my wick as much as possible, trying to only handle the ends that I will be cutting off.

I go one step further and dampen a paper towel with Everclear and clean my fingers before I wick, but that is just my OCD, it is not necessary.

fattmatt805

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
carmichael CA.
it may not be the cotton at all. Granted, you want to use organic, but you also need to be aware of how clean your fingers are. Any oils or anything else that may be on your hands will transfer to the cotton. I always wash my hands when rebuilding and try not to touch the cotton that is going to be my wick as much as possible, trying to only handle the ends that I will be cutting off.

I go one step further and dampen a paper towel with Everclear and clean my fingers before I wick, but that is just my OCD, it is not necessary.
i'm with you 100% i usually wear gloves when wicking.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Yes, cotton of any sort has an initial break in point. Boiling in distilled water and letting it dry 24hours helps. The oils and salts on your fingers can transfer, that can be rectified by wearing latex, nitrile, or vinyl gloves during wicking, that or rinsing your hands with everclear or vodka, or washing your hands with "Dawn" dish soap to remove those oils and salts. Having been rebuilding protank 1 heads and gradually moved up to Kayfuns and such, I've grown used to the break in period of new cotton wicking, much prefer that than nasty, charcoal gunky wicking and coils.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I use plain organic cotton balls that are available from Walgreens, CVS, Target, etc. Some people like to boil them and let them dry but I don't -- I think that actually does more harm than good because it can easily be contaminated while it is drying. I empty the bag into a large Ziploc bag (the original bag is pretty thin and easily damaged), then seal that in another large Ziploc bag. I'll take about four or five cotton balls out of the internal bag and keep them in the outer Ziploc bag. When I run out, I'll take another four or five out of the internal bag. This way, the internal bag is kept sealed as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread