Status
Not open for further replies.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Hello all,

So the other day wrapped a new coil, vaped great around 1.5 ohms in the Ody V2. Today came back to this ody to finish the tank, cleaned out and dry burned. Never messed with the coil or anything besides clean with a dry burn and brush off the gunk. Loaded it back up with juice, maybe expecting the ohms to go up a little but they have fluctuated between 2.5 to 1.3. It seems to have settled now and when I check it it goes between 1.8 to 1.9 or 1.9 to 2.0

Now after moving up the volts to only 3.5 and taking a few drags the ohms will go from about 2.2 back down to 1.9

Any thoughts? I don't think I disturbed positive or negative parts of the coil.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
you know this happens to me quite a lot. I cut my resistance wire(32 kanthal) and measure it out to 2" which is about 2.5 - 2.7. I twist my wires and sometimes they read about the same, but sometimes it will read from 3.0 to almost 4 , I will set up the reubuildable part , attach to the base and take a reading with another mulitmeter and it will read about the same, higher than I cut my wire. Sometimes touching the top of my wick and coil while on the cup will make it go back to the usual 2.5 ish. But sometimes it has gone up to 7.0 ohms? Is this wierd? what is causing the fluctuations? Are my mulitmeters both off, am I off?

If anyone can help us figure this thing out. Im sorry to have sort of hijacked this, but Ive been trying to figure it out for a while and have posted similar and never really came up with an outcome

BTW this happens to be on a brand new set up.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Fluctuations are a result of bad connections. Those connections can be on the post(but not likely ), the negative side ( also not likely), or the connections of your R and NR wires. You can also check the resistance before and after you put the mouthpiece on. If you have fluctuations there, then the mouthpiece may be touching your coil.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
If it fluctuates any more than .3 you've lost some integrity in your connection. You can blow off the gunk while you're dry burning instead of brushing, which is probably what caused the change.

Thanks River. I decided to just rebuild the coil and now it is just going between about .1 ohms when it reads, more normal. My other ody is coming in at exact 1.5 rock solid. Now my new coil is also giving consistent readings of 1.5 as well. So by integrity do you mean it was weakening at one point?

O, and I think I had talked to you briefly in another thread I had started about the pene, well I ended up pulling the trigger and am waiting for it in the mail. Trying to tell myself I do not need a second to match my two odys haha.

you know this happens to me quite a lot. I cut my resistance wire(32 kanthal) and measure it out to 2" which is about 2.5 - 2.7. I twist my wires and sometimes they read about the same, but sometimes it will read from 3.0 to almost 4 , I will set up the reubuildable part , attach to the base and take a reading with another mulitmeter and it will read about the same, higher than I cut my wire. Sometimes touching the top of my wick and coil while on the cup will make it go back to the usual 2.5 ish. But sometimes it has gone up to 7.0 ohms? Is this wierd? what is causing the fluctuations? Are my mulitmeters both off, am I off?

If anyone can help us figure this thing out. Im sorry to have sort of hijacked this, but Ive been trying to figure it out for a while and have posted similar and never really came up with an outcome

By all means. Would like to know as well. Have only had my odys for about a week so just trying to learns the ins and outs of it, see if I am doing anything wrong.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
I though I had read that in another thread, tried finding it again before I started this thread but couldn't. Before rebuilding the coil I did open and close the mouth piece but it didn't stop or worsen the fluctuating ohms. Maybe then it was at the conneciton of R/NR as you said. I put more watts through to clean the coil but it couldn't have been over 10 watts.

I had asked in another thread and thought I would get peoples opinion here to. Any preference in using silver or nickel. Using silver now for the NR but would nickel provide more stability at the conneciton and work just as well?

Fluctuations are a result of bad connections. Those connections can be on the post(but not likely ), the negative side ( also not likely), or the connections of your R and NR wires. You can also check the resistance before and after you put the mouthpiece on. If you have fluctuations there, then the mouthpiece may be touching your coil.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
I though I had read that in another thread, tried finding it again before I started this thread but couldn't. Before rebuilding the coil I did open and close the mouth piece but it didn't stop or worsen the fluctuating ohms. Maybe then it was at the conneciton of R/NR as you said. I put more watts through to clean the coil but it couldn't have been over 10 watts.

I had asked in another thread and thought I would get peoples opinion here to. Any preference in using silver or nickel. Using silver now for the NR but would nickel provide more stability at the conneciton and work just as well?

Ive been meaning to try nickel as I've read that it's stronger...sometimes my silver breaks when I'm making my connections.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Appreicate it. I remember you saying the difference between the two. Good to hear to stop my impulsivity haha. Figured I should wait before I at least try it. Got lucky I really luck the odys so those are def keepers. Soon gotta put one in full mode and see how it feels.

Give Penelope a try before you buy a second one Long.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Yeah I had two wires I built the other day waiting for when I needed them. The one connection looked beautiful, but was quite small. When i went to build the coil it snapped. My other wire the conneciton was a little longer and worked better. I don't have much experience with the NR wires so wasn't sure if the nickel could give off a flavor or anything, figured the difference in resistance between nickel and silver should be negligible from what others said. Plus the nickel is about 5 times cheaper.

Ive been meaning to try nickel as I've read that it's stronger...sometimes my silver breaks when I'm making my connections.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Appreicate it. I remember you saying the difference between the two. Good to hear to stop my impulsivity haha. Figured I should wait before I at least try it. Got lucky I really luck the odys so those are def keepers. Soon gotta put one in full mode and see how it feels.

Full mode is huge...def an at home vape IMO. Ive been running mine in medium mode for a while now and prefer it. It's not too big and it'll last me until I get home from work. It's a shame I had to pay so much with the expansion package just to use it in medium mode lol.
Another nice design change with Ithaka is the capacity.

fixlyob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Mexico
I have with my Ody since July 2012, almost always had good resistance, but several times when I dry burn the Ody then I was having problems of a fluctation of the ohms, changing from 1.5 ohms that is the resistance that I made and 2.8 ohms, after a time I realized that the step of press the negative NR wire the ring wasn´t close enough and then I have this problems. these problems stop when I close the ring hard enough, and never has it again.

Cheers

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
What is medium mode?

Also good point. I probably should hold off in case I like the Ithaka the most. Only ordered one, but in case any go up on the classies. I really need to get over this I need two phase.

Full mode is huge...def an at home vape IMO. Ive been running mine in medium mode for a while now and prefer it. It's not too big and it'll last me until I get home from work. It's a shame I had to pay so much with the expansion package just to use it in medium mode lol.
Another nice design change with Ithaka is the capacity.

EDIT: Is that just using the 27 or 30 mm tanks from avid vaper? If so how much mouth piece is left and how much extra does it hold?

Last edited:

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if this was my issue. I am not sure if you are using a v1 or v2 housing. In my v2 housing the negative wire just sits in the metal channel with the wick on top. Also when I dry burned and put back together I didn't take housing out of the base. I will double check the ring is tight next time, I will prolly clean my other tomorrow after I finish the tank.

I have with my Ody since July 2012, almost always had good resistance, but several times when I dry burn the Ody then I was having problems of a fluctation of the ohms, changing from 1.5 ohms that is the resistance that I made and 2.8 ohms, after a time I realized that the step of press the negative NR wire the ring wasn´t close enough and then I have this problems. these problems stop when I close the ring hard enough, and never has it again.

Cheers

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
What is medium mode?

Also good point. I probably should hold off in case I like the Ithaka the most. Only ordered one, but in case any go up on the classies. I really need to get over this I need two phase.

EDIT: Is that just using the 27 or 30 mm tanks from avid vaper? If so how much mouth piece is left and how much extra does it hold?

Yeah it's VERY easy to get carried away with this stuff. Medium mode is the extension ss tube and plastic tube from the expansion set. I'm guessing it holds about 4mls

This is an older pic and I now only have one Ody (waiting for three Ithakas) but here you can see Ody big mode and medium mode for comparison. The gennys didn't work out for me and the only mods I use now are GGs

big-med mode.jpg

fixlyob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Mexico
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if this was my issue. I am not sure if you are using a v1 or v2 housing. In my v2 housing the negative wire just sits in the metal channel with the wick on top. Also when I dry burned and put back together I didn't take housing out of the base. I will double check the ring is tight next time, I will prolly clean my other tomorrow after I finish the tank.

My Ody is V2, but as I told you, when I didn't force the ring to press the NR wire against the Ody base then I was having the fluctuations, and I didn't know why but sometimes when I close the mouthpiece hard then when I open again, that loose the ring and then I was having fluctuations.

Cheers

Last edited:

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto

When I twist wires i also get fluctuating Ohms, i think it is harder to make a stable connection with the NR when twisting wires, or maybe the twist is not tight enough.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Very nice set up. Full mode came with one of my ody's so I will have to try the medium mode. Looks like it leaves enough room at the drip tip still with the short mouth piece that you wouldn't need the long mouth piece just for med mode. Yeah big mode is pretty big, looks sharp though. Looking forward to the ithaka, hoping there will be an easier option for using ss mesh with it. Think one of these days I have to try out mesh with the ody or peny.

Yeah it's VERY easy to get carried away with this stuff. Medium mode is the extension ss tube and plastic tube from the expansion set. I'm guessing it holds about 4mls

This is an older pic and I now only have one Ody (waiting for three Ithakas) but here you can see Ody big mode and medium mode for comparison. The gennys didn't work out for me and the only mods I use now are GGs

View attachment 167406

Lo zio

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2012
Italy
Fluctuating ohms happens to me pretty often in the last days, too.
Sometimes I have small fluctuations, some other times pretty big ones (even 1 or 1,5 ohm). I didn't really come up with a convincing explanation for this behaviour; it happens that the resistance reverts spontaneously to the original value after some time, although it's also possible that it stays steady at the new value.
Not really a huge issue when I'm using the provari, pretty uncomfortable though in these days when I'm running one penelope on ego batteries (yes, you read well, I'm in the lab the whole day and I need something small to carry in my pockets).
I made a new coil ten minutes ago and it seems it's staying at 1,4 ohms - let's hope it doesn't get crazy, I will need it tomorrow!!! :laugh:

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
So, I just cleaned and dry burned one of my odys. Ohms came back to the same after refilled, 1.5. I think I agree with River. Yesterday when I dry burned there was more gunk from the juice, and I used a higher volt to dry burn. I think somehow I messed up the connection on the R/NR. Plus I lightly brushed the coils yesterday and not today, though I always do this on the genesis and it doesn't affect it. Also fixlyob had suggested I made sure the outer ring on top of the housing was good and tight.

So what I learned, try not to brush coils so don't disturb connection. Don't use to high of volts maybe, maybe to much heat disturbed the connection. Also, make sure coil is pushed down before good again, and that the outer ring is tight. Above all else, check the ohms before I load with juice, haha.

Also, peny came in today. Cleaned, loaded and vaping on now. Throat hit good, vapor production great, flavor great. Not sure if I notice to much of a difference between ody and peny, maybe ody is a bit warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread