OK, I've rinsed some carts with Vodka - do I bake or air dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectraGlide

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
This is what I've accomplished up to this point to start fresh with the cartomizers I've collected so far. I rinsed with scalding hot tap water right into the cart full force and then blew out with all my might so water shot out the battery hole. Did this about 4 times. They all looked nice and white inside again. Then, I dropped all of them into a glass of Popov (enough to just cover them), swished them around a little, and let them sit for 10 min. or so. I should add that I did not rinse them out again with water after the vodka bath.

Now would I be better off letting the alcohol evaporate naturally or cook them? I'm wondering if the heat would adversely affect the wire inside and/or the sock and filler material.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Nilius made a wonderful video about boiling cartos. I don't have a link right now, but it's on you-tube and on ECF [search for cartomizer cleaning.] Except he blows them out and lets them air dry; I prefer reverse Taryn spin to force the water out. Then I put them in a very low oven on a cookie sheet, 175-200 F for 20-25 minutes.

On a hot summer day in SoCal, oven is not necessary. :D

Brooke1975

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
Nilius made a wonderful video about boiling cartos. I don't have a link right now, but it's on you-tube and on ECF [search for cartomizer cleaning.] Except he blows them out and lets them air dry; I prefer reverse Taryn spin to force the water out. Then I put them in a very low oven on a cookie sheet, 175-200 F for 20-25 minutes.

On a hot summer day in SoCal, oven is not necessary. :D

Oh cool! So what if the white tips are different for some cartos (I have some that are different) Does that make a difference between the soft caps and hard caps as far as fitting them back into the carto because they would be all mixed up? I know the Taryn spin for refilling but not sure about the reverse for removing the water. Does boiling the cartos reduce the "life" expectancy of them? So the baking actually does the drying instead of letting them sit overnight? I know mine don't dry over night and I can still blow a tiny bit of water out of them the next day and have to let them air dry some more. Any advice is appreciated. All mine so far have been washed under hot water, blown out and air dried. I will use them like this and use the boil method next time. I just want my cartos to last as long as possible! TY! :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Trial and error.:D

there is a video (Leaford's, I believe) demonstrating reverse Taryn. Look it up. You just put the silicone cap halfway up the carto on the mouth end and put the carto in your spinner (condom down) and spin like crazy. Remove the condom, discard water, repeat. This is only feasible when you're cleaning just a few cartos. Some people suck the water out with a syringe or a turkey baster. Be creative and search the forum and you-tube. It's all there.

If you cartos don't dry overnight, leave them out to dry longer. ;)

ElectraGlide

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Well, this morning I reloaded a couple of the cartos that cleaned with the vodka but not rinsing out the vodka and, lo and behold, they work and taste great! I used Pear and Dunhall juice which I consider to be very subtle flavors and I don't notice any other extraneous taste. No vodka remnants nor previous juice remnants are noticed by my taste buds. So, I guess I'll stick with this method, although I will add the reverse spin to speed up the dryng process.

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, this morning I reloaded a couple of the cartos that cleaned with the vodka but not rinsing out the vodka and, lo and behold, they work and taste great! I used Pear and Dunhall juice which I consider to be very subtle flavors and I don't notice any other extraneous taste. No vodka remnants nor previous juice remnants are noticed by my taste buds. So, I guess I'll stick with this method, although I will add the reverse spin to speed up the dryng process.

Good to hear; I haven't been very self-disciplined about occasional thorough carto cleanings but this is the method I've always intended to 'pursue' once I crack down on myself. Altho, I'll probably try the syringe or turkey baster methods of removing some excess liquid rather than reverse Taryn Spin. Other more 'advanced' ways I've heard (compressor-less) ppl mention include blow dryers, and at least once even a hose attachment on a vacuum cleaner with the air flow reversed. Sounded good to me anyway! :D

Regardless, I don't expect drying time to matter all that much to me; I'll always have plenty of others that are ready to serve while their siblings finish drying. But it seems like a little action above and beyond mere manual blow-out might be best, for re-fluffing the batting.

Last edited:

gmav44

Moved On
Jan 23, 2010
MI
Really? So drying them or baking them is better then air drying? I want fast dry times! I have some I have rinsed and are still trying to air dry after 3 days! Ugggg

In the Winter with the heat running? I just place them in a shot glass or similar container and set them on a register. They dry overnight easily. Summer days of course they can sit in the sun and do pretty well.

Fast? I spin em up in the cool down cycle for a few minutes as stated by person previously. Works great.........;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread