Once you go VV do you ever go back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
That's been my experience, too. A while ago, I bought one of MadVapes' little 14500 x 2 VV box mods and started experimenting, looking for the ideal sweet spot for me. I constantly twiddled with the little rheostat for several weeks. I finally found a good point, then I measured the voltage. 3.8 volts through a 3.0 ohm Boge. That's so close to my Rivas that I said "phooey" to VV.

I'll probably try again sometime in the future, but right now, VV is low priority for me.

As they say, YMMV . . .

But, unlike the Riva and any other standard device, the regulated vv device will maintain that 3.8v as the battery charge level goes down.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
My question is why would someone get a fixed volt device after using a variable voltage pv?

Size, I love my vv mods and use them almost exclusively but there are times when I'm going out somewhere I want something smaller I like just sticking my Volt in my pocket and forget about it. It's also much easier to answer questions I get in public about vaping with it. Most inquiring people aren't going to be as receptive to something like my BP as they are the Volt.

Lovin_it

Verified Member
Nov 16, 2011
United States
I specifically chose a model that most closely resembles a cigarette. It may be too early to tell, I'm coming up on a month, but I've no interest currently in learning about all the different mods and higher power batts available.

I just wanted to replace a nasty habit with a nicer one. For me, the love was mostly about the physical act, anyway, which is why the patches & gum never really worked. My lungs feel wonderful, I worked out yesterday without feeling winded, my family doesn't hold their nose around me anymore... mission accomplished.

I don't want this to become a full time, expensive hobby. Once I find my "go to" suppliers, I plan to settle into a routine and not make it become more than I wanted it to be. And the "what it can be" is seriously attractive, not denying that, I just plan to resist temptation.

Of course, life is what happens when we are busy making plans, right? :p

(But I really want this to be a money saver eventually; I've different parts of the world to see!)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Even with mods it's a solid money-saver. With 808 and Riva 510 gear, even though some people have great luck I found I had to replace the batteries fairly often, the mass-produced relatively low cost stuff would have issues.

With my VV, I paid much more up front, but no recurring failure issues.

SpiderMo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2011
Georgia
I specifically chose a model that most closely resembles a cigarette. It may be too early to tell, I'm coming up on a month, but I've no interest currently in learning about all the different mods and higher power batts available.

I just wanted to replace a nasty habit with a nicer one. For me, the love was mostly about the physical act, anyway, which is why the patches & gum never really worked. My lungs feel wonderful, I worked out yesterday without feeling winded, my family doesn't hold their nose around me anymore... mission accomplished.

I don't want this to become a full time, expensive hobby. Once I find my "go to" suppliers, I plan to settle into a routine and not make it become more than I wanted it to be. And the "what it can be" is seriously attractive, not denying that, I just plan to resist temptation.

Of course, life is what happens when we are busy making plans, right? :p

(But I really want this to be a money saver eventually; I've different parts of the world to see!)

I came into vaping thinking the same way and now 7mths later I have more juice than I can count, 808s,egos,tekkmod,roughstack,buzzpro and now the LavaTube but I believe if your truly set at doing that it can be done I just don't have willpower lol, as soon as I decide to either slow down or just quit something new comes up or I catch a thread here about some good juice and I just dive right back in.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
the regulated vv device will maintain that 3.8v as the battery charge level goes down.

A cartomizer full of juice is generally a couple of tenths of an ohm higher resistance than an empty one, so that works out pretty well that the battery drains as you consume juice and the resistance decreases a little as the battery drains.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
A cartomizer full of juice is generally a couple of tenths of an ohm higher resistance than an empty one, so that works out pretty well that the battery drains as you consume juice and the resistance decreases a little as the battery drains.

Where did you hear that? The resistance is due to the nichrome wire (heating element). I don't see how adding liquid content around the wire would change the electrical properties of the wire. There isn't some kind of gap that I've heard of.

See: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ask-veterans/91498-cartomizer-teardown-pics.html

(I'm not denying what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense to me, based on how an atty or carto is constructed. The only way I could see that happening is if a person is sloppy and left some liquid on the contacts of the carto, but then the resistance delta should be constant, as the eliquid would stay there, since it is not being heated.)

Last edited:

Lovin_it

Verified Member
Nov 16, 2011
United States
Even with mods it's a solid money-saver.
Time will tell... I've invested around $450 in the last month and not spent about $225 on smokes, so right now, it's a money loser. Hoping like HECK that will change. (I expected initial outlay to be high, but I'm getting a little nervous... )

Lovin_it

Verified Member
Nov 16, 2011
United States
It's the experimentation cost... hardware is the least of my worries. The analysis paralysis I got when figuring out which model to buy made my eyes bleed, so I was glossing over stuff about juice... seemed like too much.

So, carto experimentation of flavors; thinking I knew what I liked, buying the wrong cartos, then finding juice, buying sample packs, costs to keep track of which juice is in which carto... ($7 for ortho rubber bands...) it all adds up.

I suspect when I find a go-to juice and can buy that in bulk, it will all calm down...

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Early on can be tough. I was fortunate in that I settled for a "good enough". I bought one kit before finding ECF, switched to an 808 as soon as I got here, and luckily found an eliquid that was close enough to go with, with decent cartos.

Taste can change a huge amount early on, I know the eliquid I liked at month one wasn't my month 2 choice and was nothing like month 5.

Then again, with a VV I might have kept vaping some of those liquids -- changing the voltage can change the flavor a respectable amount, depending on eliquid complexity :)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Where did you hear that? The resistance is due to the nichrome wire (heating element). I don't see how adding liquid content around the wire would change the electrical properties of the wire. There isn't some kind of gap that I've heard of.

Where did I hear it? My multimeter told me ;) - If you look at the tear down pic, you'll notice the wick to the coil. Some people call it a diaper. It wraps around the coil. Anything touching the coil (the diaper or some juice delivered by it) changes the resistance.

Lovin_it

Verified Member
Nov 16, 2011
United States
I was fortunate in that I settled for a "good enough".
I know me and my personality pretty good by now. I would go crazy with flavors if I let myself get sucked into it.

Right now, I want to have approximately 4 flavors. I'm currently looking for juice that is as tasty as my vanilla & coffee cartos. Then I need a nice mild menthol, like Marlboro milds, then I need something else... cola was that something for awhile, but it's losing its' luster.

If I start experimenting too much with butter rum cookie batter and mohito chocolate covered cherries, etc.,... we'll never go on another cruise again. :oops:

At least the sample packs are very reasonably priced, but in the meantime, I have to keep buying cartos...

Hoping to have this nailed down soon. :)

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Well, you can still get a good vape off of a FV device, just like you could before you tried VV. You just have to be more aware of your atomizer ohms and such since that's your main source of "adjustment" then. As for why to go back to FV, I ask why not? I still use my Screwdriver on occasion, it's nice to have the small and simple PV in my hand once in a while and I still get a good vape from it. My GG is a whole 'nother animal, I primarily use that for the UFS (which I can't use on other devices), to take advantage of the adjustable draw feature or for 6v vaping with dual coils (which most VV mods can't handle this high). Of course, I am looking forward to the Kick for my GGTS ;-)

It all comes down to tastes and what exactly you're doing with it, I guess.

I'm with Killjoy1.

I'm one of those people who loves vaping as an experience, a hobby, and an obsession. So I own more than 50 PVs, from a couple penstyle 501s and 808s that vendors sent me free, lots of unregulated 510 eGo batts of different mAh ratings, plus tube mods and box mods up the wazoo. Currently, I own 11 variable voltage box mods (with more likely to follow)---and I use them all---but I still like my fixed-voltage PVs. Nothing wrong with the vape from an eGo batt that puts out 4.2 volts when freshly charged, and all my 18650 tube and box mods can be run at numerous voltages---3.7V, 4.8V (with nimh batts), and stacked at 6.0V or even 7.4V. I've got cartos, atties, and tanks in just about every resistance from 1.5 ohms to 3.0 ohms.

For folks who are proficient at simple math, Ohm's Law does the trick. Calculating what resistance atty/carto goes well with what voltage supply takes about two seconds, if that. After awhile, it's second-nature and almost automatic.

If someone owns just one or two PVs, then variable voltage is probably the best way to go, but I like all the options---VV, fixed, whatever.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Ever since I got the cheap lil lanyard from ejuicemonkeys for my ego, I don't see myself using anything else. I like being able to have something I can hang around my neck. Makes it very portable and easy to use. I know people put big box mods on lanyards, but that's too much for me. I wear a badge for work on a lanyard too, and this is as big as I'd go. I was using the ego booster, but it wasn't working very well for me. I got an ego-w and it's great. Much better than the booster with an ego tank and the booster with a boge cartomizer. I would like to try the VV ego batts someday though. Will still fit in my lanyard, can still use the same charger, cartos, etc. But that's just me. I love the ego setup.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
put it this way... my one and only vv device went out on me today in a puff of smoke... you'd better believe I'm missing it! Fixed 3.7 doesn't satisfy me anymore. It will be sent off to be fixed but I'm dreading the time in between. I am now looking seriously into getting another vv device. I just don't know whether I want to go cheap (madvapes) or just get the Provari (my christmas bonus is burning a hole in my pocket!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread