One More Question... Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Sacramento, California, USA
Kanger EVOD... I couldn't figure out those specs on my own, so here's a copy and paste:

"Features:
Press the button on the battery quickly 5 times to turn on/off
Button LED light color: white
3 Airholes
Output voltage: 3.7V
Bottom coil changeable(BCC)
The bottom pin (where it screws into battery/mod) is NOT spring loaded
USB charging cable: (Input: DC 5V; Output: DC 4.2V/420mA)
Power adapter: (Input: AC 100-240V 50/60HZ 0.2A Max; Output: 5V/0.5A)
650 mAh Built in Rechargable Battery
This Kit Includes:
2 Evod eGo Batteries with 2.5 ohm coils installed
2 Evod Clearomizer Tanks
1 5pack of 2.5 ohm replacement coils
1 USB Charging Cable
1 AC Power Adapter
1 User Manual
1 FREE 15ml Bottle of e-juice (your choice)
1 FREE Blunt Needle Tip"

Cleaned? Not in about two month

Innokin iTaste CLK (800 mAh version):

"The Primary Features of The iTaste CLK!:

Battery Level Indicator:
The iTaste CLK! battery capacity is displayed via green, yellow and red LED lights.

Green = Fully Charged
When the iTaste CLK! battery is fully charged the LED light on the firing button will turn green and power off.
Yellow = Half Power.
Red = Low Power. Please Charge.

Large battery capacity:
The iTaste CLK! has a built-in 800 mAh polymer Li-Ion rechargeable battery.

ON/OFF battery switch:
Press the power button three times in rapid succession to turn on the iTaste CLK!. Once the iTaste CLK! is On hold down the power button to activate the atomizer and vape. When the iTaste CLK! is not in use press the power button three times in succession to power off the iTaste CLK! Advanced Personal Vaporizer. Always power off the iTaste CLK! Advanced Personal Vaporizer when it is not being used, or when it is going to be stored in a pocket, bag or purse.

Short Circuit/Atomizer Protection:
Short Circuit/Atomizer Protection protects the iTaste CLK! Advanced Personal Vaporizer against shorted atomizers and will stop the unit from functioning in unsafe conditions.

Over-Discharge Protection:
The iTaste CLK! Advanced Personal Vaporizer monitors the battery voltage and will automatically power off when the battery is discharged.

Technical Specifications:
Variable Voltage:
The rotational wheel adjusts voltage in the following increments: 3.5, 3.8, 4.0, 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.0
The red LED will blink six times and turn off if the rotational wheel is not in place.
To set your desired voltage turn the rotational wheel to the left or right until you hear an audible click. When adjusting the voltage with the rotational wheel always check to ensure the wheel is set to your desired voltage.
Standby current: 50uA max
Maximum output current:3.5A
Maximum output wattage:15W
Clearomizer Resistance: 1.2 ohm (minimum), recommendation 2.5Ohm
Battery: Built-in 800 mAh polymer Li-Ion rechargeable battery.
Charging: 420mA-4.2V max 350 mA
Short Circuit Protection: 0.6 +/-0.2 ohm"

And, the 1280 mAh battery for the iTaste CLK...

"Technical Specifications:

Variable Voltage: The rotational wheel adjusts voltage in the following increments: 3.5, 3.8, 4.0, 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.0
The red LED will blink six times and turn off if the rotational wheel is not in place.
To set your desired voltage turn the rotational wheel to the left or right until you hear an audible click. When adjusting the voltage with the rotational wheel always check to ensure the wheel is set to your desired voltage.
Standby current: 50uA max
Maximum output current:3.5A
Maximum output wattage:15W
Clearomizer Resistance: 1.2 ohm (minimum), recommendation 2.5Ohm
Battery: Built-in 1280 mAh polymer Li-Ion rechargeable battery.
Charging: Micro USB DC5V/500mA
Short Circuit Protection: 0.6 +/-0.2 ohm"

I hope that's all the info you were asking for...

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Sounds like the part that is getting hot is the base of the evod clearo, chrome ish looking with 3 air holes? the part you screw the head (coil /wick assembly) into then screw the body onto?

Could be your head isn't tightened securely into the base, or, your center pins have become depressed by over tightening which if they still work can cause a tiny arc between the two which will heat up the base, or might be slighly over powering them on the vv devices, or could be from chain vaping.
Hot enough to burn or too hot to touch = not good.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Too hot is not good. Metal is a nice conductor of heat. The bcc has a metal base that screws into a metal connection that contains the button. It will get hot chain vaping. I chain vape and everything I use eventually will get hot near the connection and the atty (spinners, volts, mechs, and apvs) all will get hot at the connection.

With that said heat is not good for the batteries.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
Oh yeah, the last one - never been cleaned, it's only two days old. And as for the part that heats up, let's see if I can explain this... It's the section between the tank and the battery where the three small holes are.

It's the base that the coil head screws into, right? NOT the battery itself?

If so... yes it will get hot if you chain vape. Slow down... lol

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Yeah slow down hehehe. I have the same setup (just using the Evod batteries still though), and if Im chain vaping it will get hot too.. Ive never had it too hot to touch but Ive felt it getting up there and thats usually when I put it down for a few and let it rest.. You could potentially blow the battery, or kill the wick and coil as well.
I just had a cotton wick completely vaporize on me like 3 days ago. Pulled the head off and there was literally NO wick left in it.. Man that was the gnarliest tasting hit Ive ever taken haha..

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Sounds like the part that is getting hot is the base of the evod clearo, chrome ish looking with 3 air holes? the part you screw the head (coil /wick assembly) into then screw the body onto?

Could be your head isn't tightened securely into the base, or, your center pins have become depressed by over tightening which if they still work can cause a tiny arc between the two which will heat up the base, or might be slighly over powering them on the vv devices, or could be from chain vaping.
Hot enough to burn or too hot to touch = not good.

Yep, that's exactly where the overheating is happening. I'm positive everything's screwed in right - I'm just a chain-vaper and I guess these are the consequences I'm gonna reap for this action... Better buy a lot of spare coils ;) (My unit better not break though or I swear I'll have a conniption)!

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Yeah slow down hehehe. I have the same setup (just using the Evod batteries still though), and if Im chain vaping it will get hot too.. Ive never had it too hot to touch but Ive felt it getting up there and thats usually when I put it down for a few and let it rest.. You could potentially blow the battery, or kill the wick and coil as well.
I just had a cotton wick completely vaporize on me like 3 days ago. Pulled the head off and there was literally NO wick left in it.. Man that was the gnarliest tasting hit Ive ever taken haha..

They get really hot, but I guess I'd say not so hot you can't touch them. I imagine they'd be too hot for some people to handle, but I think most people would just experience it as, "very not," yet not enough so to leave a burn on the skin. Anyway, I think I'll save my iTaste CLK batteries for proper use and longevity and just use my old Kanger EVOD batteries when I want to chain-vape to the point of causing the metal to heat up around the coil...

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Oh yeah, the last one - never been cleaned, it's only two days old. And as for the part that heats up, let's see if I can explain this... It's the section between the tank and the battery where the three small holes are.

OK, I see what you mean... Yes, that part will get warmer as you are using it! If you chain-vape, it will get appreciably warmer, but it should never be hot to the point that it is untouchable. How long are you taking hits? Because 2 10 second hits on my Evod gets things warm for sure! Hope this helps!

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
I take 3-7 second long hits at 4.5-5.0 on the voltage. Frequently I'll take hits in succession though, practically without oxygen between each drag, which I'm sure is what's heating it up like this... I just need to slow down, and/or in the least, only do this that with my junky batteries so that I don't ruin my awesome new iTaste CLK 1280 battery :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread