Only tasting on the exhale, no taste on inhale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesterpot

Feb 20, 2014
Louisiana
I drink anywhere from about a half gallon to a gallon of water a day, so I'm not dehydrated. I have no sinus issues or allergies, food and drink tastes wonderful, even better now. I quit smoking tobacco cigarettes about 5 weeks or so ago.

I'm still on the search for a really good juice that I'm willing to reorder, but so far most of what I've tried is just "ok". None of these flavors make me go "wow, gotta have more of that!". I've tried single plain flavors, complex flavors, mixing flavors... all i get is something subtle on the exhale.

I'm using a small variety of "newbie" equipment:
-Genuine Joyetech eGo twist battery
-knockoff eGo non-VV battery
-808 cigalike battery (MigCig brand, manual, regulated 4.2 volts)

-unknown brand CE4-type top single coil long wick plastic clearomizer
-Glass Vision V-Fate nova
-Aspire CE5 BDC clearomizer
-510 LR atomizer (for drip taste testing)
-Kanger Fusion tank from MigCig (short wick top coil clearomizer)
-Mini Kanger Protank II

juice vendors I've tried is Mt Baker Vapor, Virgin Vapor, Velvet Cloud Vapor, and a few random single china flavors from gas stations.

**all equipment and vendors I've tried have been named and linked to better clarify. I get my juice in either 6 mg or 12 mg, many variations of PG/VG.

As you can see, I'm still in my "new vaper" stage trying out different products looking for what I like, and it's been a blast! The issue is tasting the juices. I tried steeping for a week or longer and trying again, and it's always the same result. I get the general dominant flavor on the exhale, and only if I exhale the vapor through my nose. I'm doing tons of research and reading reviews and watching videos and when people describe a flavor as "XX" on the inhale and "XX" on the exhale with undertones of this and overtones of that.... great explanations. I'm thinking this is how a juice should taste (not specifically the flavor, which is subjective, but more-so the complexity and variety). I get one subtle flavor right at the end, that's it.

Scrolled to the bottom because "Dude, your wall of text sucks":
I only taste a subtle flavor on my exhales through my nose, the rest of the inhaling/tasting process is flavorless to me. Has this happened to anyone else that has recently quit? If so, about how long will it take for me to be able to taste more than one thing at a time? It's been this way to me since day one for five weeks.

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
Have you tried increasing your voltage? Most adhere to the set and forget, but I always experiment with my settings with every juice. Some of them just burn differently. Also, I experienced the same problem a few days ago. If you're saying it's been since day 1, we can rule out vapors tongue (food tastes great) and dehydration (you're obviously hydrated.) What is your inhale technique? I noticed when I dragged my first vape, I didn't get much flavor. The technique I adapted was to pull the tip into the corner of my mouth, slowly draw with my tongue near the tip, pull it into my cheek, into lungs, than exhale. Try this! Imagine smoking a cigar...that's the best I can do to liken my technique (sans the inhale)

Good luck.

Jesterpot

Feb 20, 2014
Louisiana
oh, totally messed around with the voltage, I love that damn thing. I even experimented with different ohms to see if that helped, but nah..

My inhale method is the usual mouth to lung. I draw slowly like you would on a straw, filling my mouth, then inhale. I tried the lung inhale (pardon the reference, but just like you would toke on a joint) and holy moly that hit hard and produced tons of vapor,I was still only tasting the exhale. I definitely do not enjoy the lung hit method.

Been doing some looking around and I'm wondering if maybe something is jacked up with my olfactory sense, since it seems we don't actually taste the vapor on our actual taste buds? I don't know, this is all still a bit of a wonderful mystery to me.

AntnyMikal

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Clarksville, TN, USA
I get some flavors on inhale and some nothing. The banana in my PT2 is zilch in and double banana now n later going out. I've actually found that drinking while vaping increase inhale flavor for me, not water but tea or juice, seems that after I eat too flavor is increased on inhale at least for some flavors. I vape some banana nut bread after eating and POW it's all there beginning middle and end, only last for like 5-10 minutes though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dshobe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Denver, CO
This issue seems to be really hit or miss for me. Sometimes I can taste it on the inhale, sometimes not. Mouth hits are more successful for me than lung hits for sure. The warmer the hit the more flavor in my experience, up to a point.

As a smoker trying to become an ex smoker the bigger deal to me is the throat hit.

1st post on ECF, sorry if I hijacked the thread with the last comment.

oxidus

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Canada
It probably depends on the liquid / flavour. I suppose it's not much different than drinking different beers. Sometimes it might seem bland until you get the aftertaste. I get this with most liquids, but some like mint are strong enough to have it both ways.

Have you tried buying a pricier gourmet liquid? Those always have tons of flavour, nothing subtle usually.

tmrr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Carrollton, GA, USA
I am a big juice chaser and I had to make a spreadsheet to keep up. I paste the vendor description and then comment on what I taste. Lots of one hit wonders where I can't taste each distinct flavor. Thinking about juices where I CAN taste something different -
Space Jam Starship 1 - custard inhale, kiwi exhale
Pink Spot Happy Ending - menthol inhale, hard to pin down exhale (maybe hazelnut)
Fuzion Mountain Mint - mint inhale, mild chocolate middle, mint exhale
Good Life Spook Sauce - strong sweet inhale, mild fruit (maybe peach) exhale
Heathers Heavenly Caramel Cappucino - caramel inhale, coffee exhale
5 Pawns Grandmaster - cream inhale, peanut butter exhale
Alice in Vapeland Black & White Cookie - vanilla inhale, bittersweet chocolate exhale
Velvet Cloud Mewlews Magic - cream/butterscotch inhale, mild hot cocoa exhale
Custards with a sweet vanilla inhale, custard exhale - Big Willies, Jolly Rogers
Vapor Room Horchata - creamy chai all the way through, with a little more cinnamon at the end
Most of Vapor Chef fruits - I can taste at least 2 different fruit flavors

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
This issue seems to be really hit or miss for me. Sometimes I can taste it on the inhale, sometimes not. Mouth hits are more successful for me than lung hits for sure. The warmer the hit the more flavor in my experience, up to a point.

As a smoker trying to become an ex smoker the bigger deal to me is the throat hit.

1st post on ECF, sorry if I hijacked the thread with the last comment.

My experience has always been much the same, but I gotta say, it was the same way with cigarettes for me; I've always gotten most of the flavor from the exhale, and especially with vaping, and trying to do the nose-exhales -- lots of flavor that way. the only exceptions I've found to a very-subtly-flavored inhale is Kringle's Curse, strong peppermint, and a grotesquely-sweet cinnamon redhot I got recently from desert vapes; it's so sweet it makes me cringe, right on the inhale.

The juice I like best and vape almost exclusively is also a very subtle flavor, or blend of flavors; it's Virginia from MyFreedomSmokes, mixed with just a little Oak Barrel Cider and a smidge of a much better redhot, from Killer Juice; both juices add just a bit to the flavors that are already in the Virginia, but very faint. But yeah, I taste it most on the exhale; I turn my iTaste vv3 up to 10w, and it's always better right after I eat, in fact I turn the wattage down to bout 7.5w it's so strong and intense -- best throat hit ever, right after I eat.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread