Order from SI sent several states east THEN back west to me?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
Columbus, OH
I live in Ohio, where SI is... My most recent order has processed thru New Jersey....Here is current tracking... I live in Columbus OH.

I KNOW it is not the fault of SI.. it is usps..... But has anyone else ever experienced these weird delays. I probably will be contacting the postal inspector to address this....

First-Class Mail®

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

February 23, 2013, 2:54 am

KEARNY, NJ 07099

Expected Delivery By:
February 19, 2013

USPS Tracking / Delivery Confirmation™

Depart USPS Sort Facility

February 20, 2013

KEARNY, NJ 07099

February 19, 2013, 5:09 pm

KEARNY, NJ 07099

February 18, 2013

AKRON, OH 44309

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

February 17, 2013, 6:18 pm

AKRON, OH 44309

Dispatched to Sort Facility

February 16, 2013, 5:09 pm

NEW PHILADELPHIA, OH 44663

Acceptance

February 16, 2013, 4:26 pm

Shipment Accepted

February 16, 2013, 4:18 pm

Electronic Shipping Info Received

February 16, 2013

CGlassford

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
I once had some juices (not from SI) take a lovely 2 day vacation in Hawaii before making their way to my mailbox. lol

At least you have tracking showing where it is. My most recent trouble with USPS the tracking showed that it had passed through the sort facility in OH and it seemed stuck there for several days.

I'm sure it's most frustrating for those that are waiting for supplies that they have run out of. Good advise would be to order more than you think you will need till you can order again. That way, when USPS fowls up, we are not faced with the choice of cold turkey or back to the smokes.

Tommy Aces

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
Connecticut
I live in Ohio, where SI is... My most recent order has processed thru New Jersey....Here is current tracking... I live in Columbus OH.

I KNOW it is not the fault of SI.. it is usps..... But has anyone else ever experienced these weird delays. I probably will be contacting the postal inspector to address this....

First-Class Mail®

February 23, 2013, 2:54 am

KEARNY, NJ 07099

Expected Delivery By:
February 19, 2013

USPS Tracking / Delivery Confirmation™

February 20, 2013

KEARNY, NJ 07099

February 19, 2013, 5:09 pm

KEARNY, NJ 07099

February 18, 2013

AKRON, OH 44309

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

February 17, 2013, 6:18 pm

AKRON, OH 44309

Dispatched to Sort Facility

February 16, 2013, 5:09 pm

Acceptance

February 16, 2013, 4:26 pm

Shipment Accepted

February 16, 2013, 4:18 pm

Electronic Shipping Info Received

February 16, 2013

Based on when and where your package was shipped from and when it ended up going east to NJ, it appears much more likely that an error or routed and your package ended up on the wrong truck, rather than being part of USPS's normal shipping route.

I know that estimated delivery doesn't always mean a whole lot, but it left Akron the day before expected delivery and then ended up en route to NJ.

However, if there was a major Midwest storm at the time, that could explain the problem.

AaronM

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2013
East Liverpool, Ohio
I live about 1 & 1/2 hours from New Philly and my packages still take three days to get to me. They are sitting on my packages on purpose to make the 3 - 5 day shipping estimate. I know this because of the tracking times, it does not take all most 24 hours to get to Akron from New Philly, as you can see it took them just over 1.5 hours for your package.

They wonder why the post office is loosing sales and going down hill....

Tommy Aces

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
Connecticut
I live about 1 & 1/2 hours from New Philly and my packages still take three days to get to me. They are sitting on my packages on purpose to make the 3 - 5 day shipping estimate. I know this because of the tracking times, it does not take all most 24 hours to get to Akron from New Philly, as you can see it took them just over 1.5 hours for your package.

They wonder why the post office is loosing sales and going down hill....

Not to be a shill for USPS, but expecting that being in close proximity to where a package was shipped will mean that you should get your "Priority 2-3 day" package as soon or sooner than the person that spends the extra $$$ on an overnight or express package defies logic just as much as a package from an hour away taking 2 or 3 days to arrive does. I understand the frustration of waiting 2 or 3 days for a package that is shipped from an hour or two away, but that's the service you are buying. It is possible that if you have it shipped First Class rather than Priority that you might get it sooner. Of course, you could always pay the extra for overnight. We all want our vapermail ASAP, but we also need to understand the way that the shipping process works. Yes, the USPS can F up in rare instances, but they are still generally the lowest priced shipping method and are very reliable the vast majority of the time.

As a side note, the reason that the USPS is having financial difficulty has nothing to do with a lack of reliability or shipping times. Yes, there has been a significant reduction in basic first class mail, but that has more to do with widespread electronic communication as opposed to mailing letters. Also, their Priority and Express package business continues to grow at a healthy rate.

They are in the red because we have had elected officials that don't want to see government services to be successful and would rather see all mail service privatized. In the lame duck session of 2006, congress passed and The former President signed an absurd law that required the USPS to fund their employee pensions 75 years in advance over a period of only 10 years. It is a craven effort to cripple the USPS by require them to fund pensions in a way that no government agency or private corporation has ever had to do, causing a deficit of billions of $$$ before even one package is delivered. And even being handcuffed by this nonsense, they manage to pick up a package in AZ and get it to my mailbox in CT in less than 48 hours, usually for no more than $5 or $6. Try that same route with UPS or FedEx ground. It would cost more like $13 and take 4 or 5 days.

I'm not trying to be snippy or anything, and i don't have any connection to USPS, but I also feel the need to dispel some of the misconceptions out there. I just get rubbed the wrong way when someone drops the "No wonder why the post office is in trouble" line, usually because they have been ill-informed. The media does a piss-poor job of looking deeper into a story and reporting the facts, and there are some outlets that go out of their way to report stories in a way to shape conventional wisdom to their point of view.

AaronM

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2013
East Liverpool, Ohio
Say what you want... Fact is I have had things shipped further away, but still close to me by UPS and FedEX. Both of them can get here within 1 -2 days, even with 3 days shipping options. I have worked at a FedEX processing facility,and a large hub used by several trucking companys for moving and storing freight. I do know how this works. FedEX once had a package sitting at my post office in time for it to be delivered that day, they sat on it because it was early... Time is money. I went to pick it up and was told it wasn't delivered because it was scheduled for the next day.

The post office has been having moneys issues for a long time now. fact is people have found faster and more reliable ways to do things, even if sometimes it does cost more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread