• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum
Status
Not open for further replies.

IT_guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
SK, Canada
I picked up a bag of Joe Fresh Organic Cotton puffs from Walmart. After reading the back of the package it says it was whitened with hydrogen peroxide so just to be safe I boiled them.

I found that most bigger chain drug stores sell organic cotton balls but everyone that I saw was whitened with hydrogen peroxide. I'm curious to know if sterile cotton has been whitened too

rems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ontario
I picked up a bag of Joe Fresh Organic Cotton puffs from Walmart. After reading the back of the package it says it was whitened with hydrogen peroxide so just to be safe I boiled them.

I found that most bigger chain drug stores sell organic cotton balls but everyone that I saw was whitened with hydrogen peroxide. I'm curious to know if sterile cotton has been whitened too

Walmart eh....I tried looking online there but no luck which doesn't surprise me. I will go in person to have a look. I did try Shoppers but no luck there. I did find some that were whitened with peroxide as well but just figured they weren't what I was after. Now it seems as though they were as I've seen others boil them as well. That's what I will do. Thank you. I will boil them with distilled water and dry them very well with paper towels.

IT_guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
SK, Canada
Walmart eh....I tried looking online there but no luck which doesn't surprise me. I will go in person to have a look. I did try Shoppers but no luck there. I did find some that were whitened with peroxide as well but just figured they weren't what I was after. Now it seems as though they were as I've seen others boil them as well. That's what I will do. Thank you. I will boil them with distilled water and dry them very well with paper towels.

You know what. In hind sight I think Joe is a superstore brand. I was all over looking for them and couldn't remember for sure where i ended up buying them but I do know Walmart has organic cotton balls too.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
I got a bag of organic cotton at Walmart, a house brand, not Joe Fresh (which is a fashion brand owned by Loblaws).

I'm going to take another look at the fine print on the back of the bag I bought; hydrogen peroxide isn't something i'm keen to vape. I know it's used got teeth whitening products, but that's not the same as inhaling it.

I guess there's no way to know for sure whether boiling would remove it.

-- Glenn

rems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ontario
I got a bag of organic cotton at Walmart, a house brand, not Joe Fresh (which is a fashion brand owned by Loblaws).

I'm going to take another look at the fine print on the back of the bag I bought; hydrogen peroxide isn't something i'm keen to vape. I know it's used got teeth whitening products, but that's not the same as inhaling it.

I guess there's no way to know for sure whether boiling would remove it.

-- Glenn

True enough. With my limited knowledge of chemistry, I couldn't say if boiling would remove the peroxide or not. I guess some research and/or a question to the right person could solve the matter. I know some people boil it and some don't even go that far. It would be easy to assume that boiling would rid the peroxide but true enough, I really don't know. I'd really rather hope to find some that hasn't been whitened but doubt that will be feasible. Anyway, I'm glad you raised this point because I was quick to assume all would be fine. Maybe it would but maybe there can still be some harm. It's just a good reminder that we all need to do our best to research and gather accurate information in order to keep this "safer alternative" as such.

Last edited:

montara

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
Nor-Cal
I ran into a bishopheals review and he swears by Amazon.com: Maxim Hygiene Products Organic Cotton Balls -- 100 Cotton Balls: Beauty so I thought I'd give 'em a try. OMG what a difference, tried many so called organic balls, nothing beats these Maxim. Seek 'em out, their so precious they even ship 'em in an air bag... really. This is how I received em. IMAG2971.jpg

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
I personally don't worry too much about hydrogen peroxide. I mean, for one, we apply it (liberally, did your mom never glug a quarter bottle of the stuff over a knee scrape when you were a kid?) pretty much directly to blood passages, and for another, I'm pretty sure it will have evaporated by the time you buy a bag of cotton balls bleached in it, leaving nothing to burn off. If you end up drying it out and getting a burnt hit from cotton, that's another matter, and will likely be the same no matter what cotton you use. It's not chlorine, people.

rems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ontario
I personally don't worry too much about hydrogen peroxide. I mean, for one, we apply it (liberally, did your mom never glug a quarter bottle of the stuff over a knee scrape when you were a kid?) pretty much directly to blood passages, and for another, I'm pretty sure it will have evaporated by the time you buy a bag of cotton balls bleached in it, leaving nothing to burn off. If you end up drying it out and getting a burnt hit from cotton, that's another matter, and will likely be the same no matter what cotton you use. It's not chlorine, people.

Do we know for sure that the peroxide will be evaporated by the time you use the cotton? Does it even evaporate from the cotton? If not, then we'd be essentially adding peroxide to our juice when we vape with a cotton set up. Just because something can be poured over surface abrasions and/or applied to teeth as a paste doesn't necessarily give the "green light" for the inhalation of it safely. That being said, I don't think anyone is assuming it's unsafe. We're merely trying to point out that the assumption of it being safe may be a quick judgement and that perhaps some research can shed some light. I think some people boil their cotton because they are at least a little worried about the effects of not doing so. However, when it really comes down to it, I don't know if the boiling would even help or make a difference anyway. The point here isn't to tell you to stop vaping with cotton. It's more of a reminder that sometimes certain practices could be researched more instead of assuming.

It's not chlorine, people.

By that statement alone, you have already agreed and basically contradicted what you wrote anyway. I'm sure you have swam in chlorine. But you assume that inhaling it wouldn't be good. Why should peroxide be any different?

I feel like I should add that my hope isn't to offend you by picking apart what you wrote. You may very well be right. Unless we know for sure though, we really don't know anything.

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
I'm sure you have swam in chlorine.

I'm sure none of us have, because we'd be dead before one pool length. Chlorinated pool water is usually chlorinated at 1-3 parts per million. Not what I'd call 'swimming in chlorine.' But I suppose that point might support a similar 'safe levels' stance to the one I'm taking on H2O2.

Don't worry, I don't feel too picked apart. :)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I also vape organic cotton yarn but also know it's been sterilized/ bleached with peroxide. I boil my cotton 2 X 15 minutes. After each boil I hold the yarn down on the bottom of the pot and gently run water into the pot to wash out the top layer of whatever is there. Realize the body does naturally produce hydrogen peroxide which in turn attracts white blood cells when there's an injury. It's also known that white blood cells do produce very low levels of hydrogen peroxide.
HMS Press Release - Hydrogen peroxide marshals immune system
Too little hydrogen peroxide not good while too much also not good. Bottom line after inhaling a multitude of toxic chems for the past 44 yrs I'm not too worried and I switched to cotton because of my concerns in regards to silica, unfounded or not.

Last edited:

rems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ontario
I'm sure none of us have, because we'd be dead before one pool length. Chlorinated pool water is usually chlorinated at 1-3 parts per million. Not what I'd call 'swimming in chlorine.' But I suppose that point might support a similar 'safe levels' stance to the one I'm taking on H2O2.

Don't worry, I don't feel too picked apart. :)

:) True enough...guess I was just trying to illustrate that using something externally or even internally may not be the same as inhaling.

rems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ontario
Update...Thanks for all the tips. I was able to find the organic cotton @ Zehrs. Which is owned by Loblaws the same as those Super Centres. I did a nice build but didn't really like it. I may try the Maxxim brand found online as suggested. Furthermore, I've realized that the Kayfun was intended for silica any ways. I feel embarrassed for just having this epiphany now but I was so used to watching all these cotton builds on Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread