organic flavoring/ e-liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
so when a vendor says, "this e-liquid is organic", or when it says, "organic and or natural flavorings" on the website / label.. What are they talking about?
do they mean that the flavoring is extracted from real plants? and or that these plants have been grown in under certified organic conditions?
or that the flavor molecules contain carbon, and they use the chemical definition of organic?
as far as i can tell, all flavorings are organic (contain carbon) or at least the ones that we use...
PG, VG, Nicotine and every flavor i have found thus far all contain carbon, so
you could say that all e-liquid is %100 organic if you used the chemical definition.
:confused:
any idea?
thank you.

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Ph.D. Kurt Kistler, a Chemistry Consultant for the American E-liquid Manufacturing Standards Association or AEMSA
had this to say on the subject of flavorings and even on the "trickery" involved in the labeling.

http://youtu.be/sOBDm8tSUEU?t=1h34m50s

its good enough for me, i am glad i found some answers to my questions and thought you guys might like to know as well.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
wow! i'm surprised, 75 views and not a single reply. i figured the industry would have some sort of guidelines or something for the definition of organic e-liquid.
go figure!

Vaping has few if any "standards", especially for e-liquids. This is one of the reasons that the FDA is about to set their Deeming Regulations for the electronic cigarette industry. This industry is relatively new considering how many people are vaping and how fast it is growing.

What exactly "natural" and "organic" flavorings are in e-liquid depends upon the manufacturer's definition of it. Do not assume that everyone is defining it the same way.

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Do not assume that everyone is defining it the same way.

that is good advice, but for some reason that conclusion just didn't seem logical at the time.

some part of me was saying, "there must be some industry wide expectation of what organic flavoring means". i guess not.

Last edited:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
There are a number of flavoring manufacturers out there who produce & sell legitimate organic flavorings.. I use them in my own DIY...

If they are not repackaged (into a smaller bottle, for example), and bought directly the manufacturer, there will be the "USDA Organic" seal printed on the flavoring's label.. Note that companies cannot legally use this seal unless they, too, are certified -- even if they're just rebottling the liquid, as the "chain" has been broken...

Organic certification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USDA Organic.jpg

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Ph.D. Kurt Kistler, a Chemistry Consultant for the American E-liquid Manufacturing Standards Association or AEMSA
had this to say on the subject of flavorings and even on the "trickery" involved in the labeling.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety - YouTube

its good enough for me, i am glad i found some answers to my questions and thought you guys might like to know as well.

I've heard his views before, as I believe he also posts here at ECF..

Yes, he's a chemist.. And yes, even chemists & scientists have their differing opinions amongst themselves, no matter what the topic..

I do not take one person's words as gospel.. Everybody has the right to make their own choices...

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    my opinion is that when one is talking about extracts that by their very nature are so pure anyway is to make organic or natural more or less meaningless. the only thing i think would matter is if one wanted to make sure from their point of view they don't want any thing that had had insecticides or in-organic fertilizer used any where along the process for environmental reasons. for synthetic flavors if the resulting molecular structure is no different than the natural extract i don't have any concern. of course a purist would and that's ok. just make sure you do your research to make sure what a vendor says is organic or natural is what you would consider organic or natural.
    regards
    mike

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2013
    US o' A
    It's easy to remove those two compounds from a synthetic flavoring .... not easy from a natural flavoring.

Actually, one can easily purchase all kinds diacetyl-free organic flavorings -- for the same price, too..

So, there goes that... :)

Anyway, diacetyl is pretty much over-blown.. Considering cigarette smoke contains more diacetyl than vaping, per the study you linked, I'm still waiting for all these smokers to come down with popcorn-lung.. Where are they?

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 16, 2014
    QC & FL
    Almost 500 views and only 11 comments, including mine after two months on such a vital to our health post.

I am surprised that so many vapers seem to make light of the opinion of Dr. Kurt Kistler who is pro-vaping. He is an authority on vaping and I feel we should listen attentively.... and take action.

I have another post on this subject, it now has over 100 views and 0 comments. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...t-kistlers-warning-about-organic-flavors.html . It seems we do not like to discuss this.

We don't want regulation but we turn a blind eye to a pro-vaping scientist recommendation . Go figure ....

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread