Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Could be one or the other, or both. There is definitely a market for plug and play stuff. I'd be worried if they discontinued their liquid lines.

I agree. However, to me, plug-and-play is a cartomizer. Disposable tanks seems like a very wasteful and expensive proposition. How hard is it to refill a tank????

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I agree. However, to me, plug-and-play is a cartomizer. Disposable tanks seems like a very wasteful and expensive proposition. How hard is it to refill a tank????
Well... I just ran a search on CE4 and got 16 pages worth of results. Nothing is foolproof, and if it is, all you have to do is wait for a better fool to be born.

I don't think it's necessarily that hard, but with a tank you can see how much is left, and the disposable part appeals(at least at first) to those looking for something that is just grab and go easy.

Cartomizers are just so hit and miss, and I could never tell when it was fully saturated.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
It's not just re-filling, it's also changing coils ( or dryburning and re-wicking ) and washing the tank, not to mention leaking, gurgling dry hits etc... Not a big deal to most of us in this forum, but, you might be surprised how many smokers i have spoken with couldn't be bothered with that.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I wonder if they know something we don't...

Oy....
Just came to me, somewhere in this interview which was conducted exactly a year ago, he mentions that such a product is in development. Don't have time to listen to it again, just wanted to point out it isn't necessarily related to the deemings.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
But there is no doubt and the statistics confirm that 2nd and 3rd gen devices are selling much better than cigalikes.

The last figures I saw on that was Wells Fargo Bonnie Herzog who estimated the "vtm" (vapor tank mods) was estimated at $1.1 Billion, while cigalike sales, while down, were still $1.4 billion. However, she expects the vtm sales $2.0 billion to bypass 'ecigarettes' $1.5 billion by 2018.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The last figures I saw on that was Wells Fargo Bonnie Herzog who estimated the "vtm" (vapor tank mods) was estimated at $1.1 Billion, while cigalike sales, while down, were still $1.4 billion. However, she expects the vtm sales $2.0 billion to bypass 'ecigarettes' $1.5 billion by 2018.
Do "VTM" sales include the juice used in them or is that just hardware?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Do "VTM" sales include the juice used in them or is that just hardware?

I think the 'V" part - 'vapors' is the refillable aspect vs. disposables. It's a bit of a redefining since Bonnie differentiates the vtms from the "ecigarettes" - which we and she have called 'cigalikes' but in most of her analyses - it's vtm vs. ecigarettes.

vd0ootz.jpg

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I think the 'V" part - 'vapors' is the refillable aspect vs. disposables. It's a bit of a redefining since Bonnie differentiates the vtms from the "ecigarettes" - which we and she have called 'cigalikes' but in most of her analyses - it's vtm vs. ecigarettes.

Just to be clear, I understand eCigs to be cigalikes that are closed systems and can't have refillable cartridges or clearomizers (or tanks) put on them. Would you (or anyone) say this is accurate? I ask because I use cigalike device (pretty much always have), but not sure where my device fits in. I know first time I vaped (nicotine), it was on closed system, and I honestly thought that was decent. But not as good as what I use now, and what I use now is likely not as good as what you people who use mod devices are used to / routinely using.

I also find it hard to believe with all the information around that half of vapers are on closed systems only. I think a segment will always be using those, but I honestly can't see anyone sticking to that beyond year one. And not (only) because those products are sub standard, but more along lines of shinyitis and/or general awareness that there are better (not necessarily more expensive) products. Kinda like thinking here in 2015 that half the population uses flip phones and are convinced those are the best type of mobile phones around (vs. smart phones).

Reactions: Kent C

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Just to be clear, I understand eCigs to be cigalikes that are closed systems and can't have refillable cartridges or clearomizers (or tanks) put on them. Would you (or anyone) say this is accurate? I ask because I use cigalike device (pretty much always have), but not sure where my device fits in. I know first time I vaped (nicotine), it was on closed system, and I honestly thought that was decent. But not as good as what I use now, and what I use now is likely not as good as what you people who use mod devices are used to / routinely using.

I also find it hard to believe with all the information around that half of vapers are on closed systems only. I think a segment will always be using those, but I honestly can't see anyone sticking to that beyond year one. And not (only) because those products are sub standard, but more along lines of shinyitis and/or general awareness that there are better (not necessarily more expensive) products. Kinda like thinking here in 2015 that half the population uses flip phones and are convinced those are the best type of mobile phones around (vs. smart phones).

The cigalikes I started with could be refilled (the eRoll); I don't think they make them anymore, but there are some Halo cigalikes that can be refilled, which I think are still made.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I understand eCigs to be cigalikes that are closed systems and can't have refillable cartridges or clearomizers (or tanks) put on them. Would you (or anyone) say this is accurate?

Even with 'disposables' - people found a way to refill and I think the breakdown for cigalikes are disposable (closed systems) and refillable small cigarette size (or close) ecigs. eGo sized - not cigalike.

I also find it hard to believe with all the information around that half of vapers are on closed systems only. I think a segment will always be using those, but I honestly can't see anyone sticking to that beyond year one.

I don't think it's 'half of the vapers' - only half of the sales and it doesn't take a year for those who bought cigalikes to move to eGos or vtms. Although some stick with those (cigalikes) even after trying others.

And I agree - I think there will always be someone buying cigalikes - esp. someone not 'connected' to other vapers, but will eventually 'wonder' about those 'other ones' :- )

Reactions: Rossum

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA

vd0ootz.jpg
This chart makes me wonder.... Are the sales higher on cigalikes because of the disposable nature of most of them?

I mean we don't buy a new mod everyday or every other day the way cigalike users have to replace theirs.
Also someone asked earlier if the juices we buy are part of the numbers on the mod side. If not then I would think that number would be astronomically higher.

Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I like it.
Although It does seem like an awfully high projection for a segment of the market that is projected to be gone by then. :confused:

Well, she's a Wells Fargo analyst and she's also informed the market of the deeming and what it could mean - but it's a bit like beta max and VHS in one sense - give the analysis of each - let the investor decide using all the data not just part of it.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I was being a little bleak. Of course I don't think they can make those projections with speculation of the fate of the industry in mind.

But that's the market. There were people who "absolutely knew" mainly based on the quality picture, that Beta would win. There are so many other examples - some on products and some on what the gov't is going to do - new Coke, keystone pipeline, gun control, beta-blockers, RU486, etc. etc. Investors need to know the most data available - I should say 'good investors' :) rather than those who throw darts and the WSJ :- )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread