Outdoor smoking bans double in U.S. past 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbdivemaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Capra's Shangri-La
When I was a smoker (it feels good to say that), I ignored outdoor smoking bans. Only one time did anyone say anything to me - and it was at a park where the city had passed a "resolution" about smoking in the parks (basically, a public pronouncement of "Smoking is icky; please don't do it here."). I just told the whiner, "Call a cop." While not in the City of Calabasas, it's right near by, so our "we wanna be cool too" city council tried to pass the same kind of ordinance, but realizing that wouldn't fly - it might jeopardize their precious thrones - they passed their silly "resolution". Pfffftt.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Outdoor smoking bans double in U.S. past 5 years

Where ever there are outdoor smoking bans...
You will find the "easily offended" insisting e-cigarettes should be included.

In Hindsight... I think if More Studies had been done in the Beginning, 2010 ish, that Perhaps some things might have been different.

I also think if the OEM's had given some thought to Protecting their Investments thru Information Campaigns and Political Palm Greasing that we wouldn't be in such a Grassroots Uphill Battle Right Now.

But Hindsight is 20-20.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
When I was a smoker (it feels good to say that), I ignored outdoor smoking bans.
I was just about the most respectful smoker you could be.

I would not have a cigarette if I could not be sure my smoke would not bother anyone.
I would walk away from people AND make sure I was downwind.

But I ignored each and every outdoor smoking ban I ever came across except in places where you could get thrown out.
And if anyone said anything to me, they would be very lucky if I was even remotely nice in reply.

I generally respect my elders, but I might even tell a little old lady where to go if she got in my business like that.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Which is why we don't have nice toys to play with everywhere we go. The ...... who are "in your face" about vaping are going to ruin it for everyone. In the case of that bar owner, I'd have done the same thing. And very pointedly say WHY I did so when asked by a customer. At times, I think we're our own worst enemy.

Yeah... I can't blame the Bar Owner at all.

There used to be this Restaurant/Bar I knew that had a Wooden Patio where Smokers would go Outside and Smoke. There were about 4 of those Sand Ashtrays at the corners and 1 next to the Door, but a few people would throw their Butts on the Wood and then Grind their foot on them.

The Owner put up a Sign saying if People didn't use the Ashtrays, he would Ban Smoking. All but a Few Listened. But, as I'm sure you see it coming, the Few Screwed it Up for All of Us.

What the Owner did after the Ban thou was I thought Vey Cool. He printed out a Statement of Why He Banned Smoking on the Patio. The he had them Laminated and put them on the Patio Tables.

I think it would be Refreshing to Here about a Vaper going Someplace and there was a Sigh or Card that Explained that Vaping Used to be Allowed. But because a Few People couldn't use a Little Common Courtesies , that it was now Banned.

Kinda puts a New Spin on the "I can vape where I want because it Isn't Illegal" thing.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The e-smoking movement around the world is literately exploding ...
I suggest within a couple of years ... much of the paranoia about
ecigs being used in no-smoking areas will have calmed down.

Actually ...
With in a couple years ... much of the paranoia regarding ecigs in general
will have calmed down and e-smoking will be widely tolerated if not accepted
as self evident.

What really pisses off many who are opposed to e-cigarettes today is realizing
E-cigarettes are here to stay !!
1-BigGrin.png

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Which is why we don't have nice toys to play with everywhere we go. The ...... who are "in your face" about vaping are going to ruin it for everyone. In the case of that bar owner, I'd have done the same thing. And very pointedly say WHY I did so when asked by a customer. At times, I think we're our own worst enemy.
And the sub-ohm douchebags strike again.

DISCLAIMER: Not all sub-ohm vapers are douchebags
DISCLAIMER: No sub-ohm vapers were harmed by this post

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey

I completely disagree (with the bar owner)!!!!! If we concede this easily, as the bar owner did, we can say goodbye to any vaping rights! We will be put in the same closet as smokers! Yes it is his establishment, he can run his business as he sees fit. Though, I would have handled things differently! If anyone is being unreasonable or rude, in any establishment, about anything, WARN THEM. If this does not work, tell them to leave and go elsewhere. If you do this a couple of times, word will get out..."hey this place allows vaping, as long as we are not disrespectful. This place is cool!" This bar owner couldn't control a situation so he made an irrational decision. People who drink smoke. Going vape free at a bar that by law allows vaping, could be a huge disadvantage.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I completely disagree (with the bar owner)!!!!! If we concede this easily, as the bar owner did, we can say goodbye to any vaping rights! We will be put in the same closet as smokers! Yes it is his establishment, he can run his business as he sees fit. Though, I would have handled things differently! If anyone is being unreasonable or rude, in any establishment, about anything, WARN THEM. If this does not work, tell them to leave and go elsewhere. If you do this a couple of times, word will get out..."hey this place allows vaping, as long as we are not disrespectful. This place is cool!" This bar owner couldn't control a situation so he made an irrational decision. People who drink smoke. Going vape free at a bar that by law allows vaping, could be a huge disadvantage.
Perhaps he could just ban anything that is less than 1.5 ohms?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I completely disagree (with the bar owner)!!!!! If we concede this easily, as the bar owner did, we can say goodbye to any vaping rights! ...

You are Entitled to your Opinion.

I would just be curious to see how you would handle it if you were the One who made a Living from your Business. And your Non-Vaping Customers were Complaining. The Non-Vaping customer who Out number the Vapers by at Least 10 to 1.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If you dont smoke and you dont Vape, why would you give a flying fox about anyone who does ?

When I Smoked, I never ate in Smoking Section of Restaurants. I didn't want some Smuck Blowing smoke in over my Table when I ate. And I was a Smoker.

A Non-Smoker is Going to Have a Fit.

And just like 2coils said with the Word getting around that someplace was Vape Friendly. The same word gets around with Non-Smoker who Don't want people blowing Vapor on them.

It really isn't a Right or Wrong thing. It's more of a What it Is thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread