Panasonic CGR 18650 Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
Take battery specs from manufacturers with a grain of salt. MNKE has been around for a while and their other IMR's have tested decently, but I'm waiting to see some data before I spend the extra cash over AW 1600's.

As for the CGR, it's a good cell for moderate loads. Figure out the amps you're drawing and compare the voltage drop between different batteries here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

The CGR will have a bit more run time at low loads, but the AW holds a higher voltage at high loads.

edit- I should mention this is all at vaping voltages. The CGR might have more juice below 3.3v, but that's not a good mechanical vape and most boost circuits cut off around there as well.

Last edited:

Wish

Jan 17, 2013
Philippines
After a few months with the Panasonic CGR18650CH, they have been great but I probably need about 2-3 of them just to survive the day. When we go out to drink, I prolly need 3-4 but that should be enough. These are real great and they've been throwing lots of power to my APV. However when they go low, I can feel the difference. But that's a good thing so I don't discharge too much.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
May I direct everyone to this sticky about batteries: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/546143-batteries-chargers-multi-meters-forum.html

The second post is an accumulation of information about batteries that I researched very heavily. This was a project that I spent over a month on gathering information from multiple sources. The list of batteries in the Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected? was sent to e-cig reviewer PBusardo, who double-checked the specifications and now uses this list in the battery section on his Taste Your Juice website.

Basically, there are three types of batteries that can be used in mods:

Protected ICR (Li-Ion) - once the preferred battery to use in mods, the newer IMR and hybrid batteries are now favored over these. ICR Li-ion batteries use a volatile (flamable) chemistry which can vent flames and explode if they go into thermal runaway (hard short). ICR batteries have higher capacity (mAh), but are low drain, have a higher internal resistance, and generally have only a 3 amp continuous discharge rating.

AW Protected 18650 battery.jpg AW protected ICR Li-ion 18650 3100mah battery (low-drain, volatile chemistry)

Unprotected IMR (Li-Mn) - These are safe-chemistry not requiring the protected circuit built into ICR batteries. They can still vent hot gas when hard shorted, but far less dramatically than an ICR, and without flames or explosion. These are also high drain batteries with a low internal resistance, and have an amp rating of at least 10 amps continuous discharge rate.

AW IMR 18650.jpg AW IMR 18650 2000mAh Li-Mn battery (high-drain, safe-chemistry)

Hybrid - newer battery technology. They are a mix of the best features of ICR (higher capacity) and IMR (safe chemistry, high drain, low internal resistance, high amp continuous discharge rates). Some of these can have amp ratings as high as 35 amps CDR.

Panasonic NCR18650PD Hybrid.jpg Panasonic NCR18650PD 2900mAh hybrid battery

* Some mods like the iTaste MVP and V3 use LiPo battery chemistry in an internal battery pack. The batteries used in these mods are rechargeable but not replaceable. Once the battery dies the entire device can be considered disposable.

** The NCR batteries discussed earlier in this thread are considered hybrid batteries. The NCR18650A 3100mAh and NCR18650B 3400mAh batteries offered by both Panasonic and Orbtronic are hybrid batteries, however their chemistry leans very heavily on the ICR side and are not considered high drain. They have a high internal resistance with an amp continuous discharge rate of only 6.8 amps. These should not be used in high drain applications such as with regulated mods, mechanical mods using a Kick, or when using an RBA.

mh37

Apr 3, 2014
United Kingdom
May I direct everyone to this sticky about batteries: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...43-batteries-chargers-multi-meters-forum.html

The second post is an accumulation of information about batteries that I researched very heavily. This was a project that I spent over a month on gathering information from multiple sources. The list of batteries in the Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected? was sent to e-cig reviewer PBusardo, who double-checked the specifications and now uses this list in the battery section on his Taste Your Juice website.

Basically, there are three types of batteries that can be used in mods:

Protected ICR (Li-Ion) - once the preferred battery to use in mods, the newer IMR and hybrid batteries are now favored over these. ICR Li-ion batteries use a volatile (flamable) chemistry which can vent flames and explode if they go into thermal runaway (hard short). ICR batteries have higher capacity (mAh), but are low drain, have a higher internal resistance, and generally have only a 3 amp continuous discharge rating.

View attachment 322308 AW protected ICR Li-ion 18650 3100mah battery (low-drain, volatile chemistry)

Unprotected IMR (Li-Mn) - These are safe-chemistry not requiring the protected circuit built into ICR batteries. They can still vent hot gas when hard shorted, but far less dramatically than an ICR, and without flames or explosion. These are also high drain batteries with a low internal resistance, and have an amp rating of at least 10 amps continuous discharge rate.

View attachment 322310 AW IMR 18650 2000mAh Li-Mn battery (high-drain, safe-chemistry)

Hybrid - newer battery technology. They are a mix of the best features of ICR (higher capacity) and IMR (safe chemistry, high drain, low internal resistance, high amp continuous discharge rates). Some of these can have amp ratings as high as 35 amps CDR.

View attachment 322311 Panasonic NCR18650PD 2900mAh hybrid battery

* Some mods like the iTaste MVP and V3 use LiPo battery chemistry in an internal battery pack. The batteries used in these mods are rechargeable but not replaceable. Once the battery dies the entire device can be considered disposable.

** The NCR batteries discussed earlier in this thread are considered hybrid batteries. The NCR18650A 3100mAh and NCR18650B 3400mAh batteries offered by both Panasonic and Orbtronic are hybrid batteries, however their chemistry leans very heavily on the ICR side and are not considered high drain. They have a high internal resistance with an amp continuous discharge rate of only 6.8 amps. These should not be used in high drain applications such as with regulated mods, mechanical mods using a Kick, or when using an RBA.
that just went over my head i use ncr18650b 3400mah batteries in my 3 mods a sigeli v3 ,sid and vapepro,are you saying they are not the safest for these mods or not?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
that just went over my head i use ncr18650b 3400mah batteries in my 3 mods a sigeli v3 ,sid and vapepro,are you saying they are not the safest for these mods or not?

I'm saying that your mods will not perform up to their highest optimal standard if you use those batteries. Compared to other IMR or hybrid batteries which have at least 10 amps continuous, those batteries have only 6.8 amps. They are a low drain battery, not a high drain battery which regulated VV batteries using pulse width modulation need for optimal performance. These are super batteries for low drain applications like flashlights, not so great for mods.

There's more to choosing a mod battery than just buying the one with the most mAh. Specs like high drain ability (battery chemistry), amp rating, and internal resistance are important too.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/334831-technical-why-high-drain-batteries.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/524874-question-tech-engineers-provape.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread