Parallels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coils&clouds

Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento CA
ok quick question guys, Is there any advantage to building parallel coils over basic ones. For instance if I had 24 gauge wire and did parallel 3mm five wrap coils would they come out to be the same thing as if I had the same 24 gauge wire and did a basic 3mm 10 wrap being the only difference is the legs/ connections rite ? Or does it change the resistance I’m very curious does anybody know ?

Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Your parallel 5 wrap coil would Ohm out at half the resistance of a single 5 wrap coil (essentially a parallel is a dual coil). The 10 wrap coil would have double the resistance of a 5 wrap coil.
So if you compare a 10 wrap coil to a 5 wrap parallel coil of the same wire the 5 wrap parallel coil will have 1/4th the resistance of the 10 wrap coil.

Coils&clouds

Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento CA
Your parallel 5 wrap coil would Ohm out at half the resistance of a single 5 wrap coil (essentially a parallel is a dual coil). The 10 wrap coil would have double the resistance of a 5 wrap coil.
So if you compare a 10 wrap coil to a 5 wrap parallel coil of the same wire the 5 wrap parallel coil will have 1/4th the resistance of the 10 wrap coil.
Really ? Wow even though there is the same 10 strands of wire touching the cotton the resistance will drop that much because there’s two legs on each side instead of one ? I was thinking it may drop a little bit not 1/4 of what I had wow thanks I’m gonna try it and see how it works out for me vape on my friend ✌

Reactions: stols001

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Really ? Wow even though there is the same 10 strands of wire touching the cotton the resistance will drop that much because there’s two legs on each side instead of one ? I was thinking it may drop a little bit not 1/4 of what I had wow thanks I’m gonna try it and see how it works out for me vape on my friend ✌

Have to remember with electricity there are 2 main types of circuits, series and parallel. In coil placement and type of coils made, if you make 2 coils in series (one after the other on the same circuit line) resistance is doubled if the two coils are identical, you gain 2x the surface area, but 2x the Ohms. In a parallel coil placement, this is seen in most multi-coil setups, especially a rda ect with two coil sides on the posts, if both coils are identical, resistance is decreased in half, so 2 identical 1ohm coils, the two circuit paths make a 0.5ohm circuit. When talking parallel coils as you are thinking about, each coil in the setup having as example 2 parallel coils per side, you have a total of 4 parallel circuits, 2x per coil, so that dual coil mentioned earlier is still a dual coil, yet now technically a quad coil as it has 4 parallel wires, being 1ohm per wire, is divided in half again, 1ohm/4 parallel wires=0.25ohms.

Just the physics of electricity.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Really ? Wow even though there is the same 10 strands of wire touching the cotton the resistance will drop that much because there’s two legs on each side instead of one ?
It's not at all the same. Like I said think of the parallel coil as a dual coil but instead of having the 2 coils mounted on opposite sides of the posts you have them on the same side. Your 10 wrap coil is like 2 coils in series (if you welded one 5 wrap to the end of another 5 wrap).
I think you'd agree that a dual coil is very different from a single coil ;)

Having something in series vs parallel generally can have a big impact in electronics, a logical AND and a logical OR gate are made up of the same components, but one is 2 transistors in series the other is 2 transistors in parallel, it's the basis of the computer in front of you ^^
21gates.gif

(yes it's simplified but still adequate to make the point)

Coils&clouds

Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento CA
Ok I took all the info you guys gave me and did some Experimenting and now I totally get it LOL I wrapped 28g 10 times on 3mm it ohmed at 2.3 I took the same wire cut it in half and wrapped 5 parallel in 3mm and got .68 ohms just about 1/4 of the resistance with the exact peice of wire wow ! Electricity is a trip ! Thanks allot guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread