Status
Not open for further replies.

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
I am interested in buying a passthrough sometime soon.....was watching a video for one I am interested in and the lady in it said that u can use an usb hub but it has to be at least 1.5 amps to work well with your passthrough. So I started searching usb hubs in google shopping. Saw plenty of 2 amp usb hubs, usually with 4 usb ports on them. However, clicking on one of them it said specifically that each usb port was 1/2 an amp (4 equals 2 amps for the whole hub). My question is do I need a usb hub where each usb port is at least 1.5 amps individually?? I have a wall 2 usb port thingy that is 1/2 amp and I plug in a usb charger and charge some of my kr808s on it just fine. (I have no idea if that is 1/2 amp per port or per the whole thing). :facepalm:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Make life easy, get this: Walmart.com: iQ-Power Dual USB AC Power Adapter: iPods & MP3 Players
2A total power, $10, free shipping if you have them deliver to your closest Walmart and pick it up there, okay to use with cartos/atties down to 2.5 ohms.
I've used one for a decent length of time (passthrough on one port, cell phone charger cable on the other), given another to a friend to use with a passthrough, they're solid.

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
From what I can tell from the wikipedia page, it looks like it is saying the highest one port can offer is 500 ma, which I believe is 1/2 amp? That is the full power. So I guess that has to be enough for the passthrough then, tho in the video the lady said you needed 1.5 amps, but guess she meant for the whole thing, not just the one port.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
No, she was right.
500 ma is the usb spec, but many devices can provide more, just that unless it is a dedicated usb power supply you do not know what that is.

I = V/R a 5v usb voltage, and 2.5 ohm R needs 2a.

1.5 amps is borderline, really should only be used with around a 3.3 ohm carto or atty.

The $10 part I provided a link to is appropriate to use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread