Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
Hello everyone,
I just received a patriot clone that is FAR from a clone: it has only one tiny airhole despite coming preloaded with 2 coils! So, not only am I going to have to bore out the one, but I'll have to drill another, right in the middle of the logo to boot. my question: I was told that for single airhole 5/64 would be a good size, but I'm worried that if I drill two on either side it'll be way too airy. Any suggestions?
Thanks much!

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
I noticed this problem in the reviews on this on fasttech. I've needed to drill two RDA's out before, but crucially both were to different sizes. One was to 1.5mm and the other 2mm. I would say if you can get 2 or 3 sizes of drill bits, just tickle the holes out and test them until you find what suits you. There's nothing worse than going too far and making it very annoying to do mouth to lung inhales because your mouth fills up in a split second!

its about what suits you. On my Atomic I've heard some people say that the biggest air hole is just right. For me, the smallest is just about right, being on the slightly airy side.

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
Thanks guys!
I know that this comes down to personal preference and I myself do like nice mouth to lung hits. I'd really like to start by just going a bit bigger with the one hole, keeping it single coil for the time being, and seeing how the vape and flavor is. Down the road, if I'm aching for a dual coil, I'll drill another.

Two questions: lucky, what do.you mean by tickle the holes out? Start really small and gradually build up til I see what works?

Secondly, I really can't go too far with this first hole because if I intend to bore out another on the other side that will double the airflow. I'll probably stick with a relatively small first hole for that very reason. Either way, I have to do some drilling-- this thing barely pulls.

Third and finally, if I do eventually male another hole, I need to know precisely where it should be drilled. I plan to position the one hole over either coil and see where the other coil lands and eyeball the drill spot thusly. Does that make sense? Any tips?

Again, thanks much!!

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
For mouth to lung you will need a tighter draw than a straight lung inhale. I'm only at 1mm now and it's plenty for me.

That's exactly what I meant by tickling it out, going up in sizes in the smallest steps you can (no bigger than 0.5mm at a time, ideally smaller).

You're dead right about dual air holes. You will be very surprised at the difference such a tiny increase will make. My first drilling experience was luckily on a very cheap RDA, and I went from around 0.8mm to 1.5mm and it was too much for me which ruined it.

The best advice for hole placement I can think of right now is to put 3 pins/sewing needles or anything else that's straight and stiff through the post holes and make sure they extend past the deck. Sit the top on these pins and mark the top between the 2 pins where your second coil will sit. Drill there at the same height as the other one :)

Last edited:

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
Lucky, that is an absolutely brilliant idea. Thanks so much for the thoughtful --not to mention prompt-- response. Do you think it's okay to stick with the single stock hole for my first single coil build? I've already successfully built a kayfun micro coil and an old phoenix RDA, so I'm not ENTIRELY new to this. I always hear Rip trippers say that he's all about the single coil Dripping setups; I might just stick with that for a while without bothering to drill another hole. Will that fatally compromise the patriot rda experience or do you think it will provide a satisfying vape at .8-1.0 ohms for my first "real" RDA? Again, I can't thank you all enough. Will post results...

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
You're welcome :) It's absolutely fine to stick to single coils first. You won't compromise the experience at all, you will soon see how good a single can be. At 0.8 to 1 ohms it will be a beast compared to stock coils on other devices, just double check and check again that your build is good and your battery can handle it before going sub ohm. To be honest I only use single coils, and I normally use one in my Atomic that is designed for single and dual. I run mine at 1.4 ohms, around 10 wraps of 30AWG around a 2mm bit, and it hits plenty hard.

I wouldn't always listen to Rip Trippers, as cool as his builds are, he even says himself that he builds them for entertainment and normally sticks to simple builds. I would agree with him here though. For an every day vape, you will get more battery life out of a single coil, and you can get some serious performance.

It's not a silly question at all, don't worry. Drilling a steel cylinder isn't a walk in the park, but it will be much easier if you use an automatic center punch. Just in case you don't know what they are, it's a hardened steel spike with a punch mechanism. You simply push the point into your mark, keep pushing and you will hear a sharp crack. Now you will have a nice little dimple that your drill bit will sit in nicely. Definitely drill slowly with a new sharp bit, and if possible try and clamp it in something to stop it turning. I would avoid sanding the outside, as it will scuff the finish unless you spend a lot of time polishing it out with fine grit paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread