PG or VG for better flavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I know the general claim is PG is better for flavor and VG is better for vapor, but I personally do not like the taste of PG. I can tell immediately that a juice is PG based rather than VG based, as it tastes like PG, which is kind of flowery/perfumy to me. But that's just me. I love the flavor of my VG juices, and they do not dry me out like PG juices do.

So to each their own. Try both, play around, there is no set rule on "what is better"...its all personal taste. If 80% of the population didn't like brussel sprouts, I would still like them. Take the time to find what works for you, and with DIY, it does take some time.

My DIYs are all about:

10-20% water
5-10% flavor
VG
VG-unflavored-nic

About...this week anyway...and it might change if I find something I like better.

VG is a humectant too IIRC. Whether or not its "drying factor" is weaker than PG, I don't know. Most of my DIY kit is finally here so I have been playing around today. I made a 25mg, 75/25 PG/VG base, counting on flavors being mostly PG and thinking I will like 80/20.

I think I like this mix fine, but might try more towards 70/30 or 60/40. Some pre-mixed juice I had said they were 70/30 but were way more goopy than what I made. I think that could be because they had some sort of sugary caramel though.

Something makes me not want to dilute VG with water. Have you tried Triacetin yet Kurt? I got one oz. but haven't messed with it yet.

Oh yeah... I tried ~90% VG due to having no PG besides flavorings this weekend and hated it. It was clearly coating my tongue/mouth/etc. and giving me phlegm. I can see why people say it mutes flavors, which might still be a good thing in some cases. I am curious if anyone has tried a minimal amount of VG to get plumes of smoke, since I read that 100% PG has almost no vapor. The smoke I got with near 100% VG wasn't anything special to me, just hung around a little longer, not enough reason to go heavy on it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread