PG or VG Nic Base?

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm buying some 100MG nic base and wanted to know if I should get it in VG or PG? I usually vape 70VG or higher liquids (no 50/50). I know it's preferred to store this in the freezer and a friend recommended I get a 250ML bottle of whatever base I decide on getting (he said that would be enough to make easily about 8 liters of juice), but I could possibly pull off a 500ML bottle if finances allow it...not sure yet on that. UPDATE: He actually recommended I get in VG base but I still like to hear other people's opinions and experiences. :p

EDIT: I have read on here before that a lot of people prefer buying nic base in PG. However I read a sticky in this forum from 2016 where someone said nic based VG (in his/her testing) seemed to do better with regards to long term storage in the freezer than PG did (apparently PG based discolored over time where VG based was still crystal clear after like 7.5 years or something). So I'm a bit confused and need some clarification. I assume people prefer PG over VG because PG doesn't thicken in the freezer like VG does and they can just do what they need to do and throw it back in the freezer?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hey Constantlybuying,

I've always purchased 100mg nic base in PG. It's easier to pour versus VG. But, you know, it's all personal preference. I store all my nicotine in a freezer. Just pulled a bottle from 2015 a few weeks ago and it's still crystal clear. I stocked up on Nude Nicotine Armor v2 nic in the 120ml bottles.

I used the Vapocalypse Calculator to determine how much nic I would need.

Here is a comprehensive listing of companies still selling nicotine.

Many on ECF have had good experiences with Delosi Labs which is now NicBase.

Good luck!!!

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Yea, I was going with Delosi. I read a sticky post on here from 2016 that said vg based nic had better results for long term storage in the freezer than pg based nic did. I don't know if that's true or not but the article was very confusing to me and it just made my head spin. It's in the sticky section of this forum if you want to check it out.

Long Term Nic Storage

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Yea, I was going with Delosi. I read a sticky post on here from 2016 that said vg based nic had better results for long term storage in the freezer than pg based nic did. I don't know if that's true or not but the article was very confusing to me and it just made my head spin. It's in the sticky section of this forum if you want to check it out.

Long Term Nic Storage

I have used both......... I have some VG based nic and PG based nic............. I usually mix by using syringes rather than drops and scales and I find the thinner PG based nic easier to work with in syringes.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm hoping UncleJunkle see's this post and chimes in!

I'm not an expert DIYer. I also don't follow the "experts" much when it domes to DIY because most of it doesn't apply to me (I mix simple 1-flavor juices - easy-peasy). I just do what works for me.

I only buy PG based nic concentrate because it's much easier to deal with since it's thinner. Being thinner (much thinner) it was much easier, quicker and less messy to decant into glass bottles than VG nic. Much easier. Just dump it in...with a funnel. Done...move on.

I keep my nic in a freezer so I hope that it lasts long enough even though presumably VG nic "lasts longer" (which I have doubts about TBH, or at least the difference in longevity is prolly negligible...and if I'm wrong, oh well lol).

I am in the process of getting ready to make and effort to ditch vaping so hopefully none of this will matter to me at some point. I'm sick of being a slave to vape TBH.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I find PG works much better for me since I freeze ALL of it. VG doesn't come out of the freezer nearly as well (in my opinion and for my personal purposes).

I mix the VG in when I'm making up a batch of whatever, just like flavors (and more PG if needed).

Reactions: TARTARA

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'm not an expert DIYer. I also don't follow the "experts" much when it domes to DIY because most of it doesn't apply to me (I mix simple 1-flavor juices - easy-peasy). I just do what works for me.

I only buy PG based nic concentrate because it's much easier to deal with since it's thinner. Being thinner (much thinner) it was much easier, quicker and less messy to decant into glass bottles than VG nic. Much easier. Just dump it in...with a funnel. Done...move on.

I keep my nic in a freezer so I hope that it lasts long enough even though presumably VG nic "lasts longer" (which I have doubts about TBH, or at least the difference in longevity is prolly negligible...and if I'm wrong, oh well lol).

I am in the process of getting ready to make and effort to ditch vaping so hopefully none of this will matter to me at some point. I'm sick of being a slave to vape TBH.
    Thanks Uncle for replying, good look to you if you're able to quit vaping. I realize it's just another crutch to substitute cigarettes for, but I don't think I could ever pull it off myself but good luck to you if you decide to go down that road! @ thanks for the advice!

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    If you aren't pg sensitive then pg base is much easier to use.
    I have no issues with either, I just don't want to buy a base and have it go bad in the freezer. That article that I linked to makes me question which to go with. I'm still deciding. I've talked to others who use VG based nic and they said they just let it sit out in a dark area for 30 minutes or so, so it's not so thick, then they use it and put it back in the freezer, they say they have no issues. I guess it's just personal preference for the most part.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    BTW I meant to ask, I'm assuming I would want to transfer whatever base I buy to glass? And if so, is it ok if it's clear glass? I want to be able to quickly glance at the bottle to see that it's not changing color or anything.
    Great thread to skim through

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    The clear bottles are good because you can see the e-liquids, the darker ones are good because they protect the e-liquids from light !
    Probably the glass is more "healthy", but i never had, all my bottles are plastic !
    Yeah...most of my salts stash is still in the OG containers.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    How is light going to get in my freezer? LOL, I mean just opening and closing getting food out would affect that? What happens when you pull the bottle out to use it? I would think the bottle would be subject to way more light at the point?

As far as head room goes (in the bottle), I don't see what anyone can do about that? As you use the product, the amount is going to lessen in the bottle, there is always going to be less head room as you use the product.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    The clear bottles are good because you can see the e-liquids, the darker ones are good because they protect the e-liquids from light !
    Probably the glass is more "healthy", but i never had, all my bottles are plastic !
    Yes, I store all of my pre-made juices in Boston amber 500ML glass bottles with the sealed caps on them (black). I have all of these bottles in my kitchen pantry closet, on the very bottom shelf, because it's the coolest closet in my APT.

I only use smaller, clear bottles (60ML) for juice I'm actively using, so I can take a quick glance and know what is what.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    How is light going to get in my freezer? LOL, I mean just opening and closing getting food out would affect that? What happens when you pull the bottle out to use it? I would think the bottle would be subject to way more light at the point?

As far as head room goes (in the bottle), I don't see what anyone can do about that? As you use the product, the amount is going to lessen in the bottle, there is always going to be less head room as you use the product.
    Most of us keep a "working" bottle in the fridge, usually 30ml-60ml. Every time you open the freezer door you change the light and temperature, nic doesn't like that.

Users who are viewing this thread