Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I hate starting a new thread if there is already one handy, but I haven't seen one and I already tried to search but "VG" and "PG" are too short to search for so the search does not work.

If anyone knows a good thread for this topic, please feel free to point me there.
:)

I have been hearing that VG creates more vapor and less throat hit.
Since I'm not really into the throat hit, and would always like more vapor, it sounds good.

But I am also hearing that VG is thicker (more viscous) and that makes me worried about how well it will wick. I already have enough trouble with getting juice wicking up to the top in a timely manner, although I am going to try that straw modification once I find a suitable straw.

I like the Johnson Creek juices, and notice they have both PG and VG versions.
Has anyone ever tried both and can offer comparisons?

Any thoughts in general on the question of PG vs VG liquids?

Thanks!
DC2

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
You have the differences pretty much dialed. I've found that a great way to get the best of both worlds... is to use both. I like to mix ECOpure VG with various other PG flavors. Great vapor, taste and throat hit.

My vape of choice is pure VG, though. I think it gives a reasonable throat hit and it doesn't dry my system out like PG does. It's just too bad that more retailers don't sell VG versions of their products.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You have the differences pretty much dialed. I've found that a great way to get the best of both worlds... is to use both. I like to mix ECOpure VG with various other PG flavors. Great vapor, taste and throat hit.

My vape of choice is pure VG, though. I think it gives a reasonable throat hit and it doesn't dry my system out like PG does. It's just too bad that more retailers don't sell VG versions of their products.
Do you notice that it does not wick as well as the PG does?

magnolia

May 1, 2009
MS

I agree, I think it's better to use a little of both. I tried using just vg and it seemed too thick, but the pg when I tried just using that & the mix seemed too thin. So I blended them and it worked great, so now I use a mix of both to get the right consistency.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, I love that NuVape has 3ml samplers, and that they come with a wonderful (so I hear) little glass dropper bottle if you pay .50 more. So I ordered a couple of flavors I've been wanting to try (cola, watermelon, coconut) in both the PG and the VG variety. Worst comes to worst, I will have six of those wonderful (so I hear) little 3ml dropper bottles and get to try some flavors that Johnson Creek doesn't offer, without the cost of buying larger bottles.

Hopefully it will give me a good direct comparison of PG versus VG juices.
Unless of course it all depends on the manufacturer, and then I am back to square one.

But I'll still have those wonderful (so I hear) little dropper bottles!!

I've got JC's: (all full strength)

Original Tobacco - PG and VG
Vanilla - PG
Arctic Mint - VG

The P/VG differences aren't clear to me as yet. The VG seems "milder" but I haven't noticed a dramatic increase or decrease in vapor. Still testing them out.

I'm leaning towards working on my own batch(es) and finding the exact strength in the VG that I like. It might be cheaper in the long run. I was an ultra light smoker so the margins aren't critical for me on the lower end of strength. If that makes sense.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Do you notice that it does not wick as well as the PG does?

Howdy Deadcat;

I'm researching a few things, and here's what I found so far. And this is only my opinion.

Since the VG is thicker, it takes more time to wick. When using devices with higher voltages, the juice tends to be used at a higher rate, and the VG has a harder time keeping up.

I'm coming to the conclusion, that the higher the voltage, the thinner the juice should be.

VG wicks excellent with lower voltages.

Cheers;
jd

manc

Jun 12, 2009
New Hampshire, USA
Well, I love that NuVape has 3ml samplers, and that they come with a wonderful (so I hear) little glass dropper bottle if you pay .50 more. So I ordered a couple of flavors I've been wanting to try (cola, watermelon, coconut) in both the PG and the VG variety. Worst comes to worst, I will have six of those wonderful (so I hear) little 3ml dropper bottles and get to try some flavors that Johnson Creek doesn't offer, without the cost of buying larger bottles.

Hopefully it will give me a good direct comparison of PG versus VG juices.
Unless of course it all depends on the manufacturer, and then I am back to square one.

But I'll still have those wonderful (so I hear) little dropper bottles!!

I've ordered from NuVape, and really like getting 3ml samples. I'm assuming you ordered the PG and Non-PG. Just wanted to let you know that Non-PG is not VG. It is actually PEG. Check out their FAQ page: Nuvape E-Cig Refill Juice - FAQ
Sorry, I know you were hoping to compare VG with PG. At least you'll have some wonderful little dropper bottles. ;)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I've ordered from NuVape, and really like getting 3ml samples. I'm assuming you ordered the PG and Non-PG. Just wanted to let you know that Non-PG is not VG. It is actually PEG. Check out their FAQ page: Nuvape E-Cig Refill Juice - FAQ
Sorry, I know you were hoping to compare VG with PG. At least you'll have some wonderful little dropper bottles. ;)
Damn mother-***ing son of a ***** snapper headed bat turds!!!

Well, at least I'm gonna have my 3ml sample bottles with fabulous droppers.
And there I was thinking that I was getting myself ahead of the curve.
:mad:

I guess my PG vs VG experiments will require more work.
This really sucks, as I don't need any PEG stuff for any reason that I can currently fathom.

Last edited:

HopingToQuit

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2009
I've ordered from Nuvape, and really like getting 3ml samples. I'm assuming you ordered the PG and Non-PG. Just wanted to let you know that Non-PG is not VG. It is actually PEG. Check out their FAQ page:

I ordered some of those nuvape samplers for my wife and then went to Walmart and got some glycerin (VG). I cut here 18ml juices with 25% pure glycerin and she actually prefers the taste and says the vape is much better than the straight pg juice. She also says its just a bit sweeter too. We are doing this to gradualy drop her nicotine intake to hopefully 0ml over a few months. This stretches here supplies of e juice and saves a little $ too.

maryjo

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Columbia, LA
Damn mother-***ing son of a ***** snapper headed bat turds!!!

Well, at least I'm gonna have my 3ml sample bottles with fabulous droppers.
And there I was thinking that I was getting myself ahead of the curve.
:mad:

I guess my PG vs VG experiments will require more work.
This really sucks, as I don't need any PEG stuff for any reason that I can currently fathom.
I ordered several of the sampler bottles (both glass and plastic) and most of them had such a perfumy smell and taste that I could not vap them. I ended up pouring out the juice and washing the bottles for reuse.

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
Howdy Deadcat;

I'm researching a few things, and here's what I found so far. And this is only my opinion.

Since the VG is thicker, it takes more time to wick. When using devices with higher voltages, the juice tends to be used at a higher rate, and the VG has a harder time keeping up.

I'm coming to the conclusion, that the higher the voltage, the thinner the juice should be.

VG wicks excellent with lower voltages.

Cheers;
jd

VG sucks with high voltages. That's my opinion/conclusion/whatever. After trying to use it with my Screwdriver and jantystick (manual), I became miserably frustrated. I can't describe it too well, but it leaves a miserable taste behind and actually doesn't vape well. I tried all of JC juices, tried two VG juices I had from eliquidplanet, and it amassed to the same thing. Had to clean all my atomizers out then use some fresh PG juice and everything went back to normal. At first, I thought my atomizers were busted because of this weird taste I was getting but I guess VG being fried so quickly might change it's properties. These were the same juices I used on some generic passthroughs and cooler running devices where the taste and functionality were not compromised at all.

Last edited:

Erised

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
Florida
I have recently started using straight VG (70%) and Vodka (20%) and 15 drops of flavor for a 3ML bottle. (I don't use nicotine, you can substitute the vodka w/your nicotine juice) and it has been coming out perfect! No clogging, and nice and smooth w/great taste.

Can you describe the flavor this puts out?

I tried vaping a mixture of half 24mg Coffee with half VG yesterday and it tasted like I was vaping straight corn syrup -- which absolutely disgusted me. I am trying to find something that will cut down the sweet taste of the VG.

Erised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread