Status
Not open for further replies.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hey guys!

I cant screw in the battery cap properly if i have a battery in the bay, but without it its perfect.
Anyone encounteres such a thing? It tilts a bit sideway - a few degrees only.
I dont want to push it in with force, im afraid i .... up the travel of the cap.
Did this start happening out of the blue or did you just get a new battery or something?
Maybe a picture would be helpful if you can post one.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

meph1

Apr 26, 2018
Did this start happening out of the blue or did you just get a new battery or something?
Maybe a picture would be helpful if you can post one.

I just noticed it last night.
Got a Sony VTC6 tuesday, but when i put in an efest battery the same happens.

I have a blurry picture, if that helps. When i try to unscrew it hard aswell a bit, but i try to unscrew gently not to hurt the battery wrap.
274e7d549dca6275b026b483598be892.jpg

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I don't have a pico myself... If they have a spring loaded contact in the battery compartment it could be getting cought up somehow and keeping the battery from going in all the way. You could try pushing on the spring with a pencil to make sure it is moving freely. Make sure there is no debris anywhere in there. Other than that, perhaps the cap is messed up...

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Once that happens to your battery cap it's gonna keep doing it. I have the same problem with my Pico Mega. Sometimes you can finesse it into place but it'll eventually pop back up. You can still use the mod with a tight elastic wrapped around it to keep it in place but you should probably look into getting another mod for the long run.
xxpicomega.jpg

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I've got several of those Picos and I worry about the battery caps. Seems like it would be easy to cross the threads. The cap going on at an angle does sound like crossed threads. On the other hand you said the cap went on fine without a battery. If the thread was crossed I would expect it to be just as hard with or without a battery. Does it still go on at an angle when you put it on without a battery.

When you put the battery in and push on the top of the battery it should go down slightly against the resistance of the spring. Does that happen? Like uthink said it sounds like maybe there is something stopping the battery seating properly.

I measured mine and the battery sticks out 1/4" or 6mm when you drop it in. It only pushes in about 1mm against the spring. Check yours is the same.

Only other thing I can think of is, do you have a tank on that could be interfering with the movement of the cap?

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
I have the original Pico and have found a few things to help with the battery cap.

I think it's easier all around to remove the tank first whenever I need to get to the battery. There isn't a whole lot of room when something is on the 510 connector, and the cap is kind of fiddly to get on/off. My Melo III tank tended to get condensation in the air flow section, so I started taking the tank off and storing it separately when I parked everything for the night. The timing was usually right for a battery swap anyway. I don't use the USB charger on the Pico, batteries go in my nitecore for charging.

I put some NoOx lube on the threads for the cap. It is a lot smoother to get on/off when the cap is lightly lubricated. Before I tried the grease, the cap was very hard to turn and get lined up properly.

I agree with the others that mentioned checking the bottom of the battery hole to make sure some little crumb or debris got down there between the contact point and the bottom cover. Does it seem to be getting a good electric connection even if you don't like the way the cap fits?

• Useful

meph1

Apr 26, 2018
@cats5365 @englishmick

Thanks for the tips guys.
i always store the mod and the atty for the night, but i didnt checked the botton of the connection pont yet however i tried to clean the whole bay with a tossue.
Any tips how to clean the bottom? Should i try with an q-tip?
There is no problem with the mod, it functions properly, wont heat up ( i always ceck the battery whenever i vape, im a bit paranoid lol).
Its just that i dont know if its safe to use like this, will it hurt the wrap etc. If its just the looks i dont care, gf said she would swap with me if its just the looks bc my pockets are always filled with little ....s (like small parts of tissue, dont know the term lol) and we dont want that get in there, even if i clean it often.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Those fine Pico threads strip and wear out pretty easily, so it may just be that these threads are worn out. It's not a safety risk to use it but it will continue to be annoying. Since teflon tape can't be used as it's non-conductive, an alternative trick that may help is to put a tiny strip of aluminum foil in between the cap threads and the body threads before screwing it in. The aluminum will deform to fit the threads and tighten the cap, which may be enough to hold it on snug and even. If it works you will have traded an crooked cap for additional housekeeping while keeping track of a tiny piece of foil.

With the low price of the Pico a new mod may be the best relief!

• Agree

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
@cats5365 @englishmick

Thanks for the tips guys.
i always store the mod and the atty for the night, but i didnt checked the botton of the connection pont yet however i tried to clean the whole bay with a tossue.
Any tips how to clean the bottom? Should i try with an q-tip?
There is no problem with the mod, it functions properly, wont heat up ( i always ceck the battery whenever i vape, im a bit paranoid lol).
Its just that i dont know if its safe to use like this, will it hurt the wrap etc. If its just the looks i dont care, gf said she would swap with me if its just the looks bc my pockets are always filled with little ....s (like small parts of tissue, dont know the term lol) and we dont want that get in there, even if i clean it often.
If you want to check the bottom for debris, just bump it lightly to see if something shifts over or out from under the little tab for the +. If you have something like a pencil or q-tip, you can try pressing lightly on the + tab to see if it moves when you press it.

After my earlier post, I thought you might want to check and clean the threads on the cap and mod to make sure there wasn't any grit or something that was keeping them from working properly. You could use a rag or something wrapped around your finger to wipe them off. If you decide to lube the threads, do that after you wipe them off and just use a little bit of grease so it doesn't get all over everything and make a mess.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The pico I had (and to be upfront, I wasn't a huge fan) the threads were really gritty. I lubricated them and it helped. Batteries do have tiny variations in size, I believe another member having an issue with the mod (not the pico) found that LG batteries were a hair shorter and that they fit better in the device. I don't know if the LGs will meet your wattage needs, though.

Certainly, clean everything and lubricate your threads, you may notice a difference. I did find I needed a "small" amount of pressure to screw the top on (and I'd say it's probably easier to manage without an atty on top) although I don't consider it ideal, removing an atomizer every time you change a battery, as unfortunately that may lead to the 510 pin thread getting stripped over time.

I vastly preferred my internal battery pico, I felt the design was superior. But, you have what you have now, so those would be my suggested remedies, although you've also gotten other good suggestions.

Best of luck,

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I've found, since the pos contact is spring loaded, you need to put some downward pressure on the cap, as you loosen or tighten it. I don't tighten down a lot, just snug, is all you need.
Using Noalox is a good idea.
This. I don't know if the cell in question is one of them, but there are 18650's that are a tad longer than 65mm.

Some downward pressure is needed when engaging the threads on the cap. If the threads aren't engaging, use a little more pressure. The spring on the "+" end will give a little--enough to screw down and make a sound electrical connection.

The wrap won't be damaged because there is a nipple in the center of the cap. That nipple is what makes contact with the "-" end of the battery.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've got two Pico 75's in use all the time. I've been using one for 14 months and the second for a year. This is what stays in my pocket at work all day.

The battery cap definitely requires care when starting to thread it. I generally reverse it at first until I feel the thread start click and then gently try to screw it on. It is a crunchy thread which doesn't help. Every once in a while I have to back it out once more to get it right. I'm used to this from mech mods, but the stubby Pico battery cover makes it a bit trickier than those are. If there is any excess resistance as I start threading it, I always back it out and start over. So far it's working well for me.

Battery length doesn't matter. There is at least 0.5 mm to spare and no 18650 batts are that much longer than spec. Don't screw the cover on tighter than required or you can bend the upper mod plate. I also don't want to put too much pressure on the plastic positive contact assembly at the bottom of the battery hole. Also, the tighter you have the battery screwed in, the more the top or bottom mod plates will bend when the mod is dropped.

I think your battery cap or the mod thread is slightly damaged (cross threaded) @meph1. When you have the threads started properly, I would try pushing the cap down a bit as the spring comes into play and keeping it level as you screw it in. If I'm right, that might help you avoid further damage for a while. If I'm wrong I think it's unlikely to hurt anything.

Good luck with it :)

To the best of my knowledge, the LG IS the shortest. I don't know if there are other batteries "slightly" shorter, but possibly.

The question is, will an LG battery meet your wattage needs. If so, I might consider trying one.

Anna

Anna, I've used VTC4, VTC5, Samsung 25R and LG 30Q in mine. They all fit the same.

meph1

Apr 26, 2018
To the best of my knowledge, the LG IS the shortest. I don't know if there are other batteries "slightly" shorter, but possibly.

The question is, will an LG battery meet your wattage needs. If so, I might consider trying one.

Anna

Hey Anna! Its cool how you always show up in my “help” topics :) Thanks!

And thanks everyone, it is a thing i live with until i can get fully of off smoking, and i get a new mod next month.

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread