Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I have convinced the hubby that a Provari would be a good idea. He told me to figure out want I want and give him a list. So here goes.

I have decided I want the provari with the extension cap (this allows for 18650 use right?)
I also want the blue screen

Then came the issue of the finish on it. I have horrible acidic skin. I can take the letters off a keyboard in maybe month just by typing. So I am concerned about the finish on a provari. How solid is that coating on the colored ones? It took me maybe 3 months to wear holes in the coating on my old ego batterys. I would really hate to have that happen.

On the other hand. The polished stainless steel is an option my skin wouldn't destroy. How slippery is that? My Polished stainless steel vamo is so slippery I had to wrap orings on it or drop it constantly. :p

Not quite sure which way to go here.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
I don't find my polished slick at all. Some people do, but it's usually because they're comparing them to the coated versions.

The finish is pretty tough but I don't know how it would handle your situation obviously. The Stealth has an even more durable finish & I would suspect that would stand a pretty good chance of holding up. Either way, both are far more durable than the ego finish.

You could also look into a leather Serenity sleeve (don't have a link handy, search Serenity Gear Provari, you'll find it) or a replaceable J-Wrap.

Good luck!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I'm one of those that finds my polished ProVari standard very slick - just as slick as a chrome mech I have, way slicker than my brushed mechs. So I don't feel like I have a secure hold on it ever. For that reason I only use it on my pass-thru next to my easy chair. I have never dropped any of my ProVari's (or any other devices), but if I ever did this is the one that would have the best chance of doing it.

As Oz said the Stealth line is listed as a 3 coat finish that is more durable than the standard ProVari Cerakote finish (because they are first response/LEO/military models). I have a Stealth, Stealth Mini and a Military, but since I've only had them 3+ months, have never dropped them and don't ever carry them in holsters, pockets, etc I also have not really tested how durable they are.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
I have convinced the hubby that a Provari would be a good idea. He told me to figure out want I want and give him a list. So here goes.

I have decided I want the provari with the extension cap (this allows for 18650 use right?)
. The polished stainless steel is an option my skin wouldn't destroy. How slippery is that? My Polished stainless steel vamo is so slippery I had to wrap orings on it or drop it constantly. :p

Get the Full Size Provari with ext. cap... Polished is a bit slippery and it shows all micro scratches/fingerprint magnet...... Get the Satin...It is not a coating just a type of blasted Stainless Steel resulting in a Satin Finish......:)

MonsterKenny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
dublin ohio
www.provape.com
Myrany,
As a finisher, i can tell you that the satin is media blasted surface,And will not rub off but may get smooth in certain areas of use after time.
The other colors are ceramic coated. The ceramic coating may fade after time or depending on your skin chemistry. The polished has a tiny slick feel to it, we discussed a while back about a brushed type finish on the ProVari, What is everyones suggestions on this?

Ken

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I've got black ones, but from reading lots of other posts, I'd think the satin would be a great fit for you.
It's VERY popular, as it matches well with probably the widest variety of accessories (tanks, rings, etc). And even if you do slowly wear the finish, it probably would SHOW the least, as it's just "less satin" in spots, but the same color. Or you could take a scouring pad to the whole thing and even it out...

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Myrany,
As a finisher, i can tell you that the satin is media blasted surface,And will not rub off but may get smooth in certain areas of use after time.
The other colors are ceramic coated. The ceramic coating may fade after time or depending on your skin chemistry. The polished has a tiny slick feel to it, we discussed a while back about a brushed type finish on the ProVari, What is everyones suggestions on this?

Ken

I like the polished a lot. It feels different than the colored ones, but I've never once been concerned that it would slip out of my hands.

I'm a brewer, so I do have a thing for the look of shiny stainless. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought a brushed one. I figured the satin silver was a good side option to the polished for those not looking for the look/feel of stainless.

Elantis

~≈Dragonfly≈~
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2012
Hoosier Cornhusker
I have the polished, black, white and bronze and have been eyeing the satin but honestly I would welcome the brushed finish. I have several brushed finished mods, like the looks of them and can match toppers well with them.

The only reason I was even considering the Satin was to match it with the R91 (but haven't as I am not sure the finish would compliment each other)...I have an overly obsessive need to have my mods coordinate from top to bottom.

The polished is a mini that never leaves the house, along with the Bronze (standard), I normally have "gennies" atop them so they really aren't travel worthy. The white and black are either adorned with carto tanks or Kayfun/Taifun/Foggers (all clones) so they are a little more mobile friendly.

I have noticed a little wear and tear on the black and white from slipping them in and out the pocket in my purse, but nothing major...since they are my travel mods I knew they wouldn't stay pristine forever.

This is a picture taken about a week ago, I have changed them about since then...;)

5561c1d5-fcbf-4bd4-87fd-3c3dbf0a43cb.jpg

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
I had a satin provari. the finish is pretty rugged. I was working in a lube shop at the time. Between dropping it, putting it in my pocket with whatever else was in there, getting it covered with oil and dirt, the finish held up pretty good, probably a 8.5/10 when I sold it 8 months later
that being said, I thought I saw you say you use mostly mechanicals. wouldn't a more powerful device be better for you?

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Hey Myrany don't know if anyone suggested this or not but you could also get a clear j-wrap if you got a colored one or the stainless. The only fading issue I've had is on the silver V2 but that was a pretty common issue & I bought it off the classy's when it was a year old it's now over 2 years old. I've had my purple one for almost a year now & it gets thrown in my purse or pocket nearly everyday & it still looks as great as the day I got it. This pic is about a week old as well if that gives you any indication on wear & tear. I didn't really mention the red because it's about 2 months old.
image.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The polished has a tiny slick feel to it, we discussed a while back about a brushed type finish on the ProVari, What is everyones suggestions on this?

Ken

Now that I own a Polished, I feel it has more than just a "tiny slick feel to it"... so a brushed finish would appeal to me way more. I have no interest in wraps or sleeves on any of my ProVari's (although a plus would be that they might cover up the crop circles). I may yet turn the Polished into a brushed finish (or partial brushed finish). I really love the feel and look of my Stealth, Stealth Mini, Military and Bronze Mini though... all top drawer in every way.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I had a satin provari. the finish is pretty rugged. I was working in a lube shop at the time. Between dropping it, putting it in my pocket with whatever else was in there, getting it covered with oil and dirt, the finish held up pretty good, probably a 8.5/10 when I sold it 8 months later
that being said, I thought I saw you say you use mostly mechanicals. wouldn't a more powerful device be better for you?

I use REO Grands so yes they are mechs but I don't do the subohm extreme thing. RIght now my only variable device is my Vamo and I rarely crank it up past 4.4 volts. I just want one SOLID variable for the permanent collection. So Provari seems the best investment for durable long term use.

Guys the reason slippery is an issue is I have very small hands and arthritis. Some days my grip is not what it should be. :)

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Just to confirm as I am about to place my order.

If I get the extension cap as well as the standard provari I will be able to use 18650 batterys with it?

Yes plus when using the ext. cap it feels better in the hand as the ext. cap has a rounded edge vs. the standard caps sharp cornered edge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread