The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Plastic for your NIC

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by bsidb, Feb 13, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bsidb

bsidb Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2012
    Leroy,NY
    Plastic cant be all bad. We put our milk in it. But you say Glass is king and it is, for long term storage no doubt. But what about the next seven years, wouldnt HDLP #2 plastic be fine. The stuff its shipped in. not all nic needs to be stored for 25 + years. I

2. Territoo

Territoo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Milk is stored only a few weeks. You are talking seven years. Even one year can have some significant leeching into your nicotine. With glass you don't have that concern.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 21, 2015
    PET (#1) - "Currently, there are no known health issues or concerns associated with this plastic and it is commonly recycled into new bottles or polyester fabric."

The above is in regards to newer PET plastics. In the past there were concerns with its use. It's still recommended for one-time use only!

HDPE (#2) - "HDPE products are safe and are not known to transmit any chemicals into foods or drinks, making this plastic a low health risk variety."

LDPE (#4) - "Low-density polyethelene is a generally safe plastic variety that has no known health risks associated with use."

PP (#5) - "Polypropelene containers do not leach harmful chemicals into foods or liquids and are not associated with any known health issues."

The info. above was taken from this website:

Are Your Plastic Water Bottles and Meal Prep Containers Safe to Use? | Livestrong.com

This suggestion is also on the website though:
    "Opt for glass containers when you can."

Personally, I prefer to use only LDPE, HDPE, and PP for my eliquids, flavorings, and anything else I plan to keep in a plastic container for awhile.

There is another website I had bookmarked for years, that told which plastic types are and are not totally impervious to air (which is important regarding nic base). IIRC, PET is, but LDPE and HDPE aren't totally. IIRC, PP isn't either. I'm going to see if I can find that website, too.

Here's another informative website. It's not the 1 I was looking for, but it has helpful info., too:

Types of Plastic - A Complete Plastic Numbers Guide

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rossum

Rossum "Chump" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    PET far less permeable to oxygen (by a factor of 50 or so) that HDPE. This is important if you're contemplating long-term storage of nic.

Glass is completely impermeable to oxygen. It doesn't leech anything either.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.