Pleas don't cite wikipedia as a source for facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA
Once again, I just came across another poster citing wickipedia as a source. This one was for facts about nicotine. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but as stated on the wikipedia site, anyone can post and edit entries on the site and as a result, the information is not validated.

One of the 'facts' stated about nicotine on wikipedia that jumped out at me was:

Nicotine has been noted to directly cause cancer through a number of different mechanisms such as the activation of MAP Kinases

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I looked at the reference and searched and found the site:

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/full/v12/i46/7428.htm

Yep, that statement was on the site and was referenced to a study on pancreatic cancer in mice. So I found the site with the study:

Chronic pancreatic inflammation induced b... [Am J Gastroenterol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Two things stood out:

RESULTS:

In 58% (7/12) of the animals, exposure to 160 mg/m3 TSP cigarette smoke induced a chronic pancreatic inflammatory process with fibrosis and scarring of pancreatic acinar structures.

CONCLUSIONS:

This study provides experimental evidence of morphological pancreatic damage induced by the inhalation of cigarette smoke, which is likely to be mediated by alterations of acinar cell function.

So from this study, someone concludes that 'nicotene' causes cancer when in fact, the study was about 'smoking'. And if you do a google, it's amazing how many other sites use the information from the wikipedia site as 'facts' about nicotine. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct.

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
There have been studies that have concluded that Wiki is approximately as accurate as conventional encyclopaedias, so I think it's an oversimplification to say "anyone can edit it so it must be full of lies..."

But yeah, I tend to think of Wiki as a useful starting point for research, rather than as a definitive source.

The evidence on nicotine and cancer seems inconclusive - it's certainly a cancer promoter, but whether it's carcinogenic is disputed. There's a decent amount of evidence that it is in vitro, but the epidemiology seems to point to there being a very low risk if there is a risk at all at clinically relevant doses.

Last edited:

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
Why not edit the Wikipedia article?

Because someone else just edits it back and no one wants to waste time editing the page every few hours?

Wait, the OP was complaining about misinformation on Wkipedia, and had an opportunity to correct said misinformation but didn't because it would just be wasted effort? Then why come here to complain about it?

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Wait, the OP was complaining about misinformation on Wkipedia, and had an opportunity to correct said misinformation but didn't because it would just be wasted effort? Then why come here to complain about it?
He's just saying to not just cite it by itself and not wording it correctly.

It really IS better to find the sources the wiki is based on and use those after THEY'VE been validated. It will get you a better grade on a college paper, anyway. :D

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
I'm coming to the conclusion that life causes cancer...lol

Pretty much...

Toast, pesto, pure oxygen.

Fortunately, the Daily Mail is here to guide you ;)

https://kill-or-cure.herokuapp.com/

(my favourite was "Facebook causes cancer". No, they weren't joking. And no, that's not quite what the researchers actually meant...)

Cells are built to reproduce, not that much of a surprise that sometimes they get overenthusiastic about it.

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA

My complaint isn't about correcting wikipedia. It's about people using wikipedia as a valid source of fact.

Wikipedia can be a good place to start to establish facts by using the references but the references have to be checked out for validity. Here's a good summary about wikipedia:

What's Wrong with Wikipedia? § Harvard Guide to Using Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread