Please help me with my ERA (BF) and My Reomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

reoluvr

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Nc
Hi. I am extremely frustrated and need some help. Heres the deal , in the last month i have purcased a reomizer RBA an ERA bottom feed RBA , a Phoenix clone and an A7. I have also bought 28,30 and 32 gauge Kanthal wire along with 1mm,2mm, and 3mm silicone wick. I have also bought premade coils from empire mods and avidvaper. I have yet to get any satisfaction, decent flavor, good vapor or throat hit out of ANY of these RBAs even the famous ERA atty that i just paid $80.00 for. I have two REO VV Grands and a ZMAX tube mod and i have tried all the rbas on all three devices. I kept thinking it was the atomizer so i kept buying new ones but now after receiving the highly acclaimed ERA atty three days ago and getting the same sad result i can only assume its because of the coils i am building (even though ive also tried the premade coils and they are terrible as well) I so want to like this RBA thing on my reos but i get better results out of a shorty carto on my twenty dollar SD keyring mod which is very sad. I especially want to get the ERA atty i bought working like i see it working in the youtube videos. I have duplicated all the coil builds ive seen on youtube and i still get very muted and crappy flavor, very little vapor and no throat hit. I know about aligning up the air holes and i do that. I just built another coil , i used 3mm silica wick with a very small tail and did 6 wraps of Kanthal 32GA which measured out at 1.8 volts and i got the same pitiful results. I know i have to be doing something wrong. Can someone that has a ERA that has built a coil that works like it does on the youtube videos make me a few coils and sell them to me? Any tips would be appreciated. At this point, im about to give up and just sell it all - iv spent well over 1000.00 in the last 6 months on reos, rbas etc. etc. and im fed up. What i really want is a working coil that will at least prove to me that its possible to get the ERA to work as it does in the videos but i would accept any and all advice on how to make these d.m things work. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

reoluvr

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Nc
era.jpg era.jpg era.jpg era.jpg era.jpg era.jpg era.jpg

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
have you tried leaving more wick in there? so that the wick can saturate properly......
do you have an ohm reader? what ohms do yoou get on the coil.

I like 2ohm coils, but the ERA feels good at 1.3 ohms for me.

rebuildables aren't for everyone... maybe a simple LR 510 or carto is all you really need if you like it....

reoluvr

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Nc
i do make sure that none of the coils touch the posts , i will try to trim the wire closer on the ends. Thank You

Something looks wrong with those 2 non-blackened middle coils. Are you making sure that none of the coils are touching the the posts? Also, you might want to trim the ends of the wire so they don't extend out past the posts.

reoluvr

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Nc
I knew i had to be doing something wrong - thank you - how can i get them more uniform and evenly spaced? do you use a drill bit, paper clip , or anything?

(IMO) Your coils need work and are probably a part of the problem. The 2 center ones are hot and the 4 outer ones are not. This can cause poor flavor and inadequate vaporization. Getting them as uniform and evenly spaced as possible helps tremendously.

calpis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Since you're working with silica, dry fire your coil to make sure everything is glowing evenly. If it isn't then start pulsing the coils and use a needle to move around the coils while they're glowing until the glow is uniform. You want to also make sure that every bit of the coil is making contact with the silica.

reoluvr

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Nc
Thank you - do you wrap yours very tight on the wick or leave a little space? every coil must touch the wick all the way around? do you recommend something other than silica? Thanks

Since you're working with silica, dry fire your coil to make sure everything is glowing evenly. If it isn't then start pulsing the coils and use a needle to move around the coils while they're glowing until the glow is uniform. You want to also make sure that every bit of the coil is making contact with the silica.

calpis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2013
Bay Area, CA
The coil should touch the wick all the way around until you get to the leads that go into the posts. I find that if you're wrapping a single length of wick, that bracing it against a needle helps with getting just the right amount of tension as you wrap both the wick and needle together. You don't want to wrap it so tightly that it pinches the silica because you'll run into wicking issues. When you remove the needle after you've installed the wick onto the posts, there should be just enough room for the wick to expand when you saturate it in juice.

reoluvr

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Nc
I will try that right now. Thanks!
The coil should touch the wick all the way around until you get to the leads that go into the posts. I find that if you're wrapping a single length of wick, that bracing it against a needle helps with getting just the right amount of tension as you wrap both the wick and needle together. You don't want to wrap it so tightly that it pinches the silica because you'll run into wicking issues. When you remove the needle after you've installed the wick onto the posts, there should be just enough room for the wick to expand when you saturate it in juice.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
I bought an ERA and got it working awesome on the second build. This video (the other in my case, I have a TF) got me running:
ERA VIDEO TUTORIAL - Juice Well Build (For Bottom Feeder) - YouTube

Some tips from my success with the ERA:
1. Dont close the screws completely, close them tight enough to lock the wire, then cut off the ends.
2. Make at least 4-5 coils, if the resistance is too low some APVs might not run correctly.
3. Make the coils tight, but not touching. You can check this by tying the side loops if you build like the guy in this vid with a piece of wire (unconnected to the coil of course). Burn before putting the top on and you can see if it works or not.
4. Wrap the silica first, then put the ends in the posts.
5. Most of this is skill, some of it is luck when you start out.

If you need help, pm me. I have an ERA and its the best RBA I have tried yet that uses silica.

reoluvr

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Nc
Thanks so much. i did try that juice build the other day with no success but i will try it again. im going to send you a pm also. Thanks.

I bought an ERA and got it working awesome on the second build. This video (the other in my case, I have a TF) got me running:
ERA VIDEO TUTORIAL - Juice Well Build (For Bottom Feeder) - YouTube

Some tips from my success with the ERA:
1. Dont close the screws completely, close them tight enough to lock the wire, then cut off the ends.
2. Make at least 4-5 coils, if the resistance is too low some APVs might not run correctly.
3. Make the coils tight, but not touching. You can check this by tying the side loops if you build like the guy in this vid with a piece of wire (unconnected to the coil of course). Burn before putting the top on and you can see if it works or not.
4. Wrap the silica first, then put the ends in the posts.
5. Most of this is skill, some of it is luck when you start out.

If you need help, pm me. I have an ERA and its the best RBA I have tried yet that uses silica.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
I knew i had to be doing something wrong - thank you - how can i get them more uniform and evenly spaced? do you use a drill bit, paper clip , or anything?

Some people use drill bits, toothpics etc. You might want to try using a machine screw as you can make the wraps perfectly spaced. Wrap wire on each thread then just reverse the screw and the wraps will come out exactly the same and spaced exactly the same. :)

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Some people use drill bits, toothpics etc. You might want to try using a machine screw as you can make the wraps perfectly spaced. Wrap wire on each thread then just reverse the screw and the wraps will come out exactly the same and spaced exactly the same. :)

Forgot to mention.Connect coil to RBA posts with screw still in it it's easier to maintain the form, then reverse the screw out, THEN insert your wick with coil already in place. That way to when you start getting a funky taste just slip out the wick, dry burn coil then thread in new wick. No need for a new coil build every time!

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

+1 for the machine screw. 4 wraps. Don't let your wick block your air hole. Make sure the air hole is right in front of the coil. I posted some pix in the hornet has landed thread in reos mods thread last night. Only built 2 coils and wix and this Hornet kills the SS 1.7. Oh, make sure your air hole is up so juice don't plug it too when drawing. You can do it Paul!

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread