Ploom - Website reveals more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubnluvn

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
San Diego, Ca
I, like many of you who signed up out of curiosity, got an email today announcing the launch of the new Ploom website. I found this little gem of information on their website regarding their 'pods':

Ploom Pods are single-serving tobacco and non-tobacco capsules...
In order to vaporize our flavor blends, we add glycerin and propylene glycol because they form a pleasing vapor when gently heated...

SOURCE: PLOOM

dubnluvn

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
San Diego, Ca
Also this:

...the device was not designed to handle any raw tobacco or other items.

Initially it was believed that those pods contained actual tobacco, but this statement says otherwise. Could it be possible that what is in the pod is exactly what we are using now, or a gel version? I think so. If they use the same e-liquid we use, I bet we can refill those little pods, too :D .

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
All of our tobacco blends start with the finest grade of Bright Virginia tobacco leaf, grown and cured here in the U.S. The leaf is combined with other premium ingredients in our own custom blending process. We never use expanded or reconstituted tobacco, or other fillers. The result is the purest, highest quality tobacco experience possible.

ploom: Products

ThaLadyD

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
WISCONSIN (GO PACK GO!)
This is an email I received from ploom:

ME:
Hi how is it Different from an analog cig when you use the tobacco pod VS an E-cig?
------------------------------------------
Thanks for your email.

Ploom heats never burns. Analogs burn tobacco (combustion).
We use real tobacco while e cigs use liquid nicotine. e cigs can not do this, as they don't have
enough power.

See ploom com/technology html for more info

Best,
Ploom

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME: So since you use tobacco do you still get all the same things such as tar, and the other stuff from analog cigs?
------------------------------------------

We do not make any health claims with our products, but heats, never burns is another way of describing vaporization. There is quite a bit of information on this topic on line.

wikipedia - vaporizer

Best,
Ploom
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

:confused:?!

I'd say they were skirting around the issue.. JUST A LITTLE BIT.

ThaLadyD

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
WISCONSIN (GO PACK GO!)
I did check out the link they sent me, this is what I found:

A vaporizor is a device, or in some cases a modular "system" of assembled "vaporization tools," used to extract and deliver via inhalation the active ingredients of plant material, tobacco, or any of many other herbs or blends (phyto-inhalation; see also: aromatherapy). Vaporization is an alternative to smoking. Rather than burning the herb, which produces irritating, toxic, and carcinogenic by-products, a vaporizer heats the material in a partial vacuum so that the active compounds contained in the plant boil off into a vapor. No combustion occurs, so no smoke or taste of smoke is evident. The vapor ideally contains virtually zero particulate matter or tar, and significantly lower concentrations of noxious gases such as carbon monoxide. The vapor is extracted in various forms of extraction chambers including straight bore, venturi or sequential venturi, and made out of different materials including metal and glass. The extracted vapor is then inhaled directly through a hose or pipe including vapor-specific " vaporization water tools" for highest activity, or stored for subsequent inhalations in a container such as a bag or jar. With little to no smoke produced, cooler temperatures, and less material required to achieve a given level of effect, the irritating/harmful effects of smoking are greatly reduced or eliminated,along with second hand smoke, by using a vaporizer.
In comparison to other drug delivery methods such as ingestion, vaporization offers the advantages of rapid onset of pharmacological effect, direct delivery into the bloodstream (via the lungs), and more precise titration such that the desired level is reached and not exceeded, enabling consistent and appropriate dosage.

"The vapor ideally contains virtually zero particulate matter or tar, and significantly lower concentrations of noxious gases such as carbon monoxide."
8-o
I think that says it all...........

bladeangel87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Just now hearing about it, but it seems interesting. Does it use the butane for power, or would it need batteries, it said one butane canister they sell (4$) refills it around 20 times, and refills last 20 minutes, so its not too expensive, however if the pods don't last long it could get expensive fast. Imagine 6$ per pod and they only last 2 hours, could be too xpensive a habit for people to maintain.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
I think the price is $6 for 12 pods. I had previously emailed a request to be put on their "list" and I received an email from them today stating that their site was now live, but that I didn't "make the cut" to be eligible to purchase from the limited intro. No info regarding when the Ploom would be available to general public.

bladeangel87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
I think the price is $6 for 12 pods. I had previously emailed a request to be put on their "list" and I received an email from them today stating that their site was now live, but that I didn't "make the cut" to be eligible to purchase from the limited intro. No info regarding when the Ploom would be available to general public.

From website:

How long does a Ploom Pod last?
icon_answer.gif
A Ploom Pod usually lasts from five to ten minutes, but like chewing gum it is up to the you to determine when the flavor is gone. There is no signal or "end" when using your Ploom Pod

Edit: 12x 10 minutes = 2 hours, so 6$ every 2 hours is not cheap, more expensive than regular cigarettes.
This seems like it could get expensive, however if you can refill em with e-liquid then it wouldn't be too bad.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Did anyone notice that you need a can of butane to make it work?

ploom: Technology

I must say, the design is absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE how they went with "non-child friendly" names for their "flavors". Pro-activeness at is best. I can't wait to try one and see what it is like!
Me either...how cool is that look!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread