Plumeveil - Hitting too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

stimpy

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
AZ
Bought a Plumeveil a week or so back and the shop did a dual coil build for me, I believe it was 7 wraps with 27 gauge kanthal. The hit and taste was perfect. Fast forward a week and I rebuilt the coils due to accidentally breaking one when pulling through new cotton. I rebuilt it with 7 wraps with 28 gauge kanthal and the thing is hitting way too damn hard.

I know it's not the juices because I'm using the same thing as I was before the build so it's got to be either the coils I'm building (1 gauge difference), different placement of the coils (too high, too low, not in far enough or not out far enough), or too much/little cotton.

Anyone happen to have an idea what the night and day difference may be that's causing such a wild difference in hitting? I can't even hit it longer than a second or two where as before I can rip it for a long period and blow huge clouds.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
First of all, you should really get an ohm reader. It's dangerous to not know the resistance you are vaping at.

Secondly, what size wrapping post did you use? If you used the same size wrapping post, 7 wraps of 28 gauge kanthal will produce a higher resistance, less vapor, and a cooler smoother hit. So, I'm nearly certain it is not the coils unless you are getting hot spots or hot legs. Take your wick out and fire your mod until the coils start glowing, if there are any dark spots and other spots that are much brighter you need to work with your coils. Did you pinch your coils when you made them? When you make coils, always install them, fire the mod until they glow, release the firing pin, and pinch your coils with tweezers or needle nose pliers to make sure all coil wraps are uniform and the coils glow from the center out.

Do your hits taste burnt?

My first guess would be your wick (cotton). All having too much cotton does is hold more juice and that won't be the problem. Too little cotton could cause the issue as your coils are eating all of the juice very quickly. What I truly believe it is, is that you have wicked too tight. If there is any sort of excessive resistance to threading the wick through the coil, it's likely too tight and juice cannot be delivered to the coils effectively.

The only things that changes the vape with your coil placement is the leg length (distance between actual coil and the RDA posts, shorter = less resistance) and their proximity to the air holes.

Because this is a guestimate my problem thread with barely any information, it's kind of hard to guess what the issue may be.

I'm also guessing this shop basically told you absolutely nothing about sub-ohm vaping. Drives me crazy as they are going to get someone hurt! There are a lot of safety protocols to follow with sub-ohm vaping and it would behoove you to do some reading and research.

Helpful things you could add: 1) Photos of your wick and coil setup. 2) Resistance of coils on RDA. 3) What you used to wrap the coils. 4) Most important: Photo's and resistance!

Last edited:

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We need to like make a pamplet regarding sub-ohm safety with solid info
And mass send it to these B&M's prolly won't help but....
On to the subject read second post its pretty good

sig-153231.jpg

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
You probably just need more experience. It's an art form. Also if you can afford a high end rda than you can afford an ohm reader.

The more time you put in the better your vape will get, something a lot of people don't understand is that you can't buy build skills. You could have the best gear out and if you can't build than your not gonna get a good vape, you could have an igo w and your vape is gonna be similar.

I wish shops wouldn't build for people just to make a sell.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
If it is any help, I didn't get consistent builds until I decided to rebuild the coils for my two main attys every evening for about two weeks. I built some more on the weekends as well. Before that it was hit or miss as to whether what I built would be decent. If practice can make a guy like me into a reasonably competent or at least consistent builder, it could work for you as well. Just a thought.

And get a multimeter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread