possible link between vaping and breathing patterns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanctuary66

May 9, 2018
hello guys
i've quit vaping a year ago after using it to quit cigarettes (and that is without underdosing - i stopped while on 12mg) and after that started to get anxiety issue, no panic attacks or anything like that but general anxiety i guess (which was probs amplified by the fact that i stopped vaping (OTHER STUFF) and coffee aswell lol but i was really active working and exercising so np) and even though my breath was GREAT (running etc) my everyday breathing was awful as i started breathing right into my lungs and in term affected my posture
it took me ages to figure that out but since then i've been feeling way better my breathing is getting better and my posture too as a result (no joke)
so i was thinking, maybe the way you inhale changes the way you take a DEEP BREATH which is what I seem to have lacked for months litteraly until I started taking conscience of it
anyone relating to this somehow?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Creative
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The anxiety stuff makes sense though it should go away given some time. The breathing thing doesn’t to me. There are two different ways to excrecize your muscles to breathe. You can either expand your rib cage or contract your diaphragm (or both of course). This whole “air directly into my lungs” thing implies chest breathing to me though that may not be what is going on

• Agree

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
hello guys
i've quit vaping a year ago after using it to quit cigarettes (and that is without underdosing - i stopped while on 12mg) and after that started to get anxiety issue, no panic attacks or anything like that but general anxiety i guess (which was probs amplified by the fact that i stopped vaping (OTHER STUFF) and coffee aswell lol but i was really active working and exercising so np) and even though my breath was GREAT (running etc) my everyday breathing was awful as i started breathing right into my lungs and in term affected my posture
it took me ages to figure that out but since then i've been feeling way better my breathing is getting better and my posture too as a result (no joke)
so i was thinking, maybe the way you inhale changes the way you take a DEEP BREATH which is what I seem to have lacked for months litteraly until I started taking conscience of it

thanks
Hi and welcome,
I'm a MTL vaper.
I vape like the bloke in the video. Video starts at 12:51

Could you PLEASE explain in detail what you are trying to convey.

Cheers
I

• Useful
Reactions: Opinionated

sanctuary66

May 9, 2018
basically when i was vaping i was sort of shutting my lungs till the end of the draw and then inhaling using yes chest breathing - which basically unhealthy
and i think this affected my breathing patterns on some other level as i previously explained and that since i'm back to working my diaphragm i'm going a lot better
thing is i was breathing that way before, so I think that the switch unconsciously happened while vaping

and thanks for the moderation :p

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
basically when i was vaping i was sort of shutting my lungs till the end of the draw and then inhaling using yes chest breathing - which basically unhealthy
and i think this affected my breathing patterns on some other level as i previously explained and that since i'm back to working my diaphragm i'm going a lot better
thing is i was breathing that way before, so I think that the switch unconsciously happened while vaping

and thanks for the moderation :p
Kinda bored, huh?
IMO: Bad posture = bad breathing.
The 14000-26000 normal, Non-Vaping breaths you take per day should supersede any little residual muscle memory from the up to 4000 vaping breaths per day. (Did you vape more than 3 cumulative hours per day?)

But that is the wonderful thing about humans...we can MAKE anything MEAN anything....

Cheers
I

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
The act of breathing is a matter of taking air, for the oxygen content, into your lungs, so I rather HOPE your breathing directly into your lungs because if your not taking air into your lungs you would die I'm fairly certain (but you might wish to check that with a doctor as I'm not a trained physician)

That said, after smoking for many years your lung function deteriorates (or at least that's what doctors keep telling me) as a matter of course.

Quitting smoking and switching to vaping you go through a healing process and your breathing improves. (At least this was my experience and my doctors all concurred)

However, there is still some healing that doesn't happen until after you quit vaping in my experience... my lung function continued to improve or began a secondary improvement process after quitting vaping.

I would assume this second healing process is perfectly normal, and is a direct result of smoking for 32 years and causing my lung function to deteriorate as far as it did.

Vaping is safer than smoking by around 95% (according to physicians in England) but it's not better than only breathing fresh clean air, or so doctors tell me.

That means, in my honest opinion, that your lungs healing further after quitting vaping would be par for the course.

It might have been more noticeable in me because I smoked for so long and my lung function had deteriorated to a large degree, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't also hold true for others as well - just assumptions of course.

I would simply say that your improvements in breathing are due to quitting smoking and putting it all behind you. You should ask your own physician to be certain, however.

As far as your anxiety your saying you quit everything a year ago - at this point current anxiety shouldn't be due to quitting and if I were you I'd see a qualified mental health professional and talk to them about your anxiety. Make an appointment today. I'm serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonicbomb

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This is not vape related. You state ALL the things it may be, and end up with anxiety. My breathing has improved since I quit smoking cigarettes, is about what I can say. I have good posture, no breathing issues, OR anxiety, but I attribute that to DEALING with my anxiety, well, plus decades of yoga.

Go to a therapist. If you cannot afford a therapist: Go here:

https://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phob...968814&sr=8-2&keywords=the+anxiety+and+phobia

It's not the same as seeing a therapist, but if you are disciplined and really work at it yourself, you will find yourself with coping tools, instead of substances, to assist you.

I sympathize, in my early 20s I had DREADFUL anxiety and panic attacks, sometimes I'd have to pull over by the side of the road, etc. Anxiety is no fun. Don't mute it, though, HEAL it.

Just my thoughts as always,

Anna

Reactions: Izan

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    hello guys

thanks
    I dunno, unless you Really frequently vape I would think that your breathing would just do as it wants in the auto mode that it goes into when you're not thinking about it.
    Just payed attention after a vape just now and my regular breathing is nothing like that.
    But, you're just trying to make some conversation on a new forum :) That's cool then.

Alphazero

May 11, 2018
    Short-term pulmonary effects of using an electronic cigarette: impact on respiratory flow resistance, impedance, and exhaled nitric oxide. - PubMed - NCBI

Yoy have breathing difficulty because you are not inhaling air. Try to exhale vg vapor and observe how thick it is. Now imagine the thickness vapor fill up your lungs.
    Pg vapor is less thick and condensed but unfortunately you cannot vape 100pg because it is irritant.
    Plus some flavor allergies exits. When i smoked menthol cigarettes i immediately noticed difficulty breathing but my friend didn't.
    You should play with the pg vg ratio with no flavors. Then eliminate flavors after using them.

No one can guarantee you that it will work.
    Your lungs may still feel tight but dont get too sad over this, some vapes got this exact symptoms after 3 months.. and then they need to quit.

Attachments

• IMG_20180519_153233.jpg
      IMG_20180519_153233.jpg
      238.9 KB · Views: 11
    • Optimistic
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread