The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Possible USB Charger

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Keltrey, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Keltrey

Keltrey Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2008
    Olney, Illinois
    I found something interesting today. I was using my laptop and laptop cooler. I noticed that the power cord for the cooler looked very similar to the tip of the car charger for the 901 battery charger. I plugged both the charger and the USB in and it lit up.

I am still evaluating whether or not it will put out enough juice to charge the battery. Both my batteries were charged from last night so I will have to wait till one runs down.

I will update as soon as I can.

The Laptop Cooler:
    AWE11US | Targus Laptop Cooling Chill Mat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. checkyoursixx

checkyoursixx Full Member

Jan 3, 2009
    DFW, TX
    That would make me nervous. Batteries or AC power units are very specific to what they are meant for. I hear the batteries for most ecigs are very sensitive anyway.

I think you might be walking thin ice charging it in something not meant for it. You might ruin the battery or blow something up.

3. nqhqhz

nqhqhz Full Member Verified Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Ireland
    checkyoursixx: In order to be certified, a USB port may produce only between 4.75 volts and 5.25 volts. The OP is wondering if it supplies enough current.

4. checkyoursixx

checkyoursixx Full Member

Jan 3, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Oh my bad. I misread what you said. I thought you were using the LT cooler pad's plug to charge the ecig.

5. Keltrey

Dec 28, 2008
    Olney, Illinois
    No, just to supply power to the wall charger the same way the car charger does.

6. Keltrey

Dec 28, 2008
    Olney, Illinois
    Well, after one of my batteries finally needed charging I hooked it all up and it would appear that the USB port does not supply enough to power the wall charger. It was worth a shot though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.