retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Anyone here use 'em? Just updated the service to gigabit. Streaming movies gets jittery and I suspect it's the wireless gumming up the works to the TVs and Firestick. Router can handle the speed, but I suspect the end devices cannot via wireless.

Sure, I could do it the old fashioned way and run a network, but running wires through the walls doesn't appeal. So power line adapters seem to be the next best thing.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Used them for many years with great success. Throughput of packet loss is usually down to issues with the quality of the wiring.

House is around 10 years old, so wiring shouldn't be an issue (I hope). Think I'll order two to test and if all goes well, hook everything else up. Thanks!

Reactions: sonicbomb

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Been doing a bit of reading on the Firestick (other half bought it when they first came out). Seems it uses an older Wifi standard which explains the stuttering. Think I'll surprise her and get a new 4K version along with the Power line adapters. She's currently in Puerto Rico visiting her family so it'll be a nice surprise when she gets home next month.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Anyone here use 'em? Just updated the service to gigabit. Streaming movies gets jittery and I suspect it's the wireless gumming up the works to the TVs and Firestick. Router can handle the speed, but I suspect the end devices cannot via wireless.

Sure, I could do it the old fashioned way and run a network, but running wires through the walls doesn't appeal. So power line adapters seem to be the next best thing.

We are fortunate to even have 100mb/s internet in our area. Recently Zito, our internet provider out of Ohio discovered some issues with distribution cabling and we are back up to 104 mb speed. I'd love to have gigabit speeds, but Cox won't entertain wiring the subdivision, although they have run their gigabit lines into the golf course adjacent to our property (paid for by the owner) and hooked up one house that's on the road leading to the golf course. So far, they won't intrude on Zito by running cable around our subdivision (34 homes).

When all is well, everything is plenty fast at 100mbs. My Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router upstairs covers the house and into the surrounding yard area outside the house. We stream Netflix movies at 1080P and 4K with no burps and skips.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShamrockPat

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Yeah, I'm using a Nighthawk R8000. Unfortunately, the TVs and Firestick don't use the latest and greatest in Wifi standards.

My AT&T bill went up by nearly $100 last month when the promotions ended. When I called to trim some stuff off the account, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They put the cost back to the promo cost, upgraded the Internet from 300 Mbs to gigabit service and threw in HBO Max for free. Sweet!!!!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yeah, I'm using a Nighthawk R8000. Unfortunately, the TVs and Firestick don't use the latest and greatest in Wifi standards.

My AT&T bill went up by nearly $100 last month when the promotions ended. When I called to trim some stuff off the account, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They put the cost back to the promo cost, upgraded the Internet from 300 Mbs to gigabit service and threw in HBO Max for free. Sweet!!!!

I've wondered about AT&T speeds over 100mb/s. I suppose that they are doing that only on fiber runs?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I've wondered about AT&T speeds over 100mb/s. I suppose that they are doing that only on fiber runs?

Yep. They finished putting in fiber in our subdivision last year. As Spectrum was constantly raising prices every year, it made sense to ditch them and go with AT&T. And it's FTTH, too. They run a fiber line directly into the home when you order it. I've been super happy with the speed and reliability.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yep. They finished putting in fiber in our subdivision last year. As Spectrum was constantly raising prices every year, it made sense to ditch them and go with AT&T. And it's FTTH, too. They run a fiber line directly into the home when you order it. I've been super happy with the speed and reliability.

We haven't had AT&T home phone service for years. We didn't need it once cable internet was an option. We just use our cell phones instead for phone calls. Our subdivision has multi-pair wire service, not fiber. I guess you'd have to be in an area where fiber is buried to get high speed access.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Generally, they're rolling out fiber in areas where there's competition for gigabit service. Here in San Antonio, both Google and Spectrum are rolling out gigabit speeds. AT&T is burying fiber at a rapid pace to maintain a competitive edge.

Upload on our cable internet runs about 10 to 15mb/s. That's the way it is with cable. They give you high download speeds and just enough to get by on upload.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Upload on our cable internet runs about 10 to 15mb/s. That's the way it is with cable. They give you high download speeds and just enough to get by on upload.

How well I know. You might want to give AT&T a call to see what they offer in your area and inquire as to what their fiber plans are. It took them about 2 months to bury the fiber in our neighborhood once they got started. Even if they have VDSL, you might be able get better asynchronous speeds over your cable company.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
How well I know. You might want to give AT&T a call to see what they offer in your area and inquire as to what their fiber plans are. It took them about 2 months to bury the fiber in our neighborhood once they got started. Even if they have VDSL, you might be able get better asynchronous speeds over your cable company.

Years ago we had AT&T DSL. Back then it was 6mbs. Right now, the best we have is Zito cable internet. One or two people who work from home in the neighborhood have COX Business internet and pay through the nose for it, including the cost of a buried cable to their home.

I'm happy with our Zito connection since they traced our reliability issues to a section of damaged cable. and replaced it. 104 download/10 upload is fine with me as long as they can maintain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread