Pre-punched cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltraker

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hannibal, Missouri
I would like to try a carto tank (AGR+) but am confused about cartos, pre-punched in particular. Some sites sell them with punched holes, two or more on the carto. Other sites sell them slotted, some with vertical slots, some with horizontal slots. I know I can punch my own, but is there a difference between all the hole/slot orientations? One better over the other?:blink:

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
Just be aware of the mechanics/physical realities involved.

Hand punching, as opposed to laser-drilled holes, "can" (to one extent or another) deform the "roundness" of the carto cylinder. Depending on if and how much the carto is taken from being as round as possible, (and where the deformity is) it could result in leakage from your tank.

Slotting can tend to leave an "edge" along the length of the slot (if using a dremel, the "ends" of the slot will be rounded and less sharp) but those edges can catch on your tanks o-rings (especially horizontal slots) and that sharp edge could damage those rings, resulting in a loss of seal and (once again) a tank that might leak.

These are just risks to be aware of (especially when someone is wondering "why is my tank suddenly leaking?") but not enough of a danger/risk that would make me swear off of slotting or punching my cartos if I wanted to do so.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
I would just start with smoktech single coil, Two prepunched holes. Use whatever ohms you wish.

If you vaping 80pg/20vg +/- 10% mix those should work well.

The smoktech's IMO have always been reliable as long as you prime them correctly (something worth looking up). There are others that most would say are better but the smoktech is probably the easiest and most readily available carto.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I'm sorry, but I'd recommend getting a normal carto-tank. Smoktek DCT's are a good place to start. The AGR has a weird filling method. You could easily over pressurize if you don't fill it with the syringe properly, which will result in flooding.

I use 3-hole 2 Ohm single coil cartomizers from SmokTek and ikenvape Fusion(Flanged) and Platinum(no Flange) PUNCH 2 ohm cartomizers. I get wicking issues with boge. I can deal with slight flooding over a cartomizer that won't wick. I haven't had to replace o-rings on my tanks in 9+months with using pre-punched cartomizers. I use 50/50, 65VG/35PG, and whatever ratios AiV uses with my cartomizers. I'm about to try 100% VG, but I can't bring myself to waste 2 mL's of properly aged boba's bounty with priming a cartomizer that may not work with it...I'm a scared.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cartotanks have been my primary juice attachment for a long time. I totally agree with what Recon Number 54 said about hand punched or dremel slotted cartos deforming the carto and potentially destroying the tank's o-rings.

List of Pre-Punched Cartomizer Vendors

tank lengths.jpg

The o-rings are responsible for keeping the tank on the carto, keeping the tank from leaking juice, and keeping the negative pressure inside the tank to prevent the carto from flooding. The laser-made holes in pre-punched cartos do not damage the o-rings and allow just as much juice flow as the other two methods.

IMHO, a cartotank tool like the Slap Yo Moma is essential for tank filling and assembly.

Two holes are a good starting point for the vast majority of e-liquids. Very high Pg liquids (thinner) may need a single hole. Very thick Vg liquids may need three holes. But start out with two initially.

Priming the carto is the single most important step in setting up a carto. Insure it is filled enough - it should look like a slushy drink.

Baditudes Cartotank Setup Guide

Cartotank Help for a Noob

Be aware that some flavors can crack or melt plastic tanks. Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

I recommend the pyrex cartotanks from IBTanked.com Get Tanked with Us. They have the right size tank for whatever your needs are.

IBTanked25mmsb.jpg IBTanked-large-small.jpg IBTanked-on-Spinner.jpg

:unsure: * Beware: The AGR tanks have had pressure issues causing flooding of their cartos. Watch PBusardo's review for a possible solution.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I buy prepunched 2 holes and then usually enlarge the holes a little to get the saturation I need for the way I vape. I use a Glass tank with SS caps. Its just my opinion but I think slots are hard on your Orings.

Ive been to Hannabal cool place went to Mark Twains Cave and home and all of that. Climbed the 1000 stairs to the light tower:)

Saltraker

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hannibal, Missouri
Buzzzlove...glad you liked your visit to Hannibal. The last and only time I've been to San Antonio was waaaayyyy back when I was a new recruit in the Air Force and stationed at Lackland AFB. I remember going to the Alamo and a little bit of the town. But mostly my time was spent on base, so I can't say I've realy "visited." Boy...that was a long time ago!

Mattnatti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Most of my liquid is 65/35 and 80/20 and almost all of my cartos are boge prepunched LR. i have had good luck with them. Most of what I have bought are one large hole but I believe boge is moving to two smaller holes as that is what I was told at AltSmoke but they haven't received any of those in their store shipments. I did receive a few of the two small hole boge LR cartos in a classified deal and they seem to wick just as well as the boge single hole pp.

Baditude gifted me some Ikenvape LR pp cartos and I just tried one yesterday after receiving my first xl tank. I must admit that the flavor did seem better than the boge. A slightly more airy draw but really good flavor. Thanks Baditude :)

throwback8

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
United States
I have been using the glass J-Tank from Electronicstix. My first one was of such excellent quality I picked up a second one a few days later. In addition they sell fantastic laser-punched cartos with one hole large enough to keep up with even higher VG liquid. My usual mix is 50/50 but right now I am running some 30/70 in it and the carto stays soaked at all times. I can't confirm until I throw some 100%VG in but I see no reason why even it would give the carto a run for it's money.

KimchiMonger

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
Dallas, TX
Ordered a J-tank which I'll receive next week. Have viewed several how to vids on filling tanks. I'm wondering if it's beneficial to lightly lubricate the connecting pieces (O-ring top cap) prior to pushing carto through. Maybe a light application of Oster Lubricating Oil used on blades/scissors? Just not sure what sort of wear and tear the refill has on these carto tanks.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Ordered a J-tank which I'll receive next week. Have viewed several how to vids on filling tanks. I'm wondering if it's beneficial to lightly lubricate the connecting pieces (O-ring top cap) prior to pushing carto through. Maybe a light application of Oster Lubricating Oil used on blades/scissors? Just not sure what sort of wear and tear the refill has on these carto tanks.

I'd shy away from that, whatever you put on the rings will end up in your lungs. Some raw VG from the drugstore or just some eliquid that you're using should be fine.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I use the Smok cartos, and am satisfied with them - for the heavier liquids I have, I expand the hole on just one side with one of those small carto punches everyone sells, which works well - making both sides bigger with a carto punch just makes it too airy and flood. Most of my 50/50 liquids work just fine with the factory holes, and they rarely leak, and last me at least a week, or much longer.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Just smear a little e-liquid on the carto as a lubricant.

I highly recommend getting a tank tool like the slap yo moma tool. It will protect your o-rings from the sharp edges of the carto and makes filling/re-filling much easier and faster. Probably the best tool you'll ever buy in vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread