Pre-Steeping? My rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckshot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Maryland
I'm curious as to why no juice vendors have a pre-steeped or "aged" line available. Almost every juice must get better with age, correct? I mean if there is fine liquor, fine this and super fine aged that why wouldn't someone already of thought of this? 21 yr single malt scotch and I can't even buy 6 month pre-steeped aged juice, c'mon this is 2013 people not the Stone Age. There are at least 3-4 other blatantly obvious "why didn't i think of that" moments that i can think of. If any of you vendors need someone in product marketing....this guy's available! Day 4 no cigs so I had to blow off some steam, sorry.

Buckshot out!

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Suppliers that let you select the pg/vg ratio and nicotine strength need to steep.

You can buy premixed without those options that don't need to steep. Example:
E-Liquid

Even if you DIY, you'll find that your e-liquid tastes better after it sits or steeps for a few days. To be honest, I vape liquid as soon as I get it. If I hate it, rarely does it go from terrible to good.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Some vendors have a pre-steeped line, MyVapeJuice calls theirs "steeped to perfection" and Ahlusion has it in the form of an "Xpress line". What you give up for that though is the option to pick the pg/vg ratio and other customizations. Then of course there's the commercial Chinese juices that get made in large batches.

But if you want a juice mixed to order it may need to steep. Keep in mind "may" and not "always". Juices I like are often good out of the mailbox and the only thing "aging" them is the natural flow of time, from not being able to vape the 400+ml I normally have on hand in a week lol.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Liquor isn't offered in different proofs and mixes. Let's say you're a vendor and you want to offer pre-steeped juice, and you've got 20 different juices that you offer in nic strengths from 24 to 0, and any pg/vg mix from 100/0 to 0/100.

I'm not enough of a math whiz to figure out how many possible combinations that is.

Regardless, do you have any idea how many inventory dollars you would have tied up in juices sitting on your warehouse shelves steeping? And how many of those would NEVER be ordered by anyone and would ultimately have to be thrown out?

The marketing folks might love you, but the accounting folks that calculate the cost of capital and return on investment might not.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
That's a tradeoff that has to be made. Custom juice, where you pick ratio (or even add more flavor in some cases) are made fresh since they can't anticipate every variation and keep it in stock.

Those places that sell it as is could potentially make it in larger vats. but keep in mind also that larger volumes need more time.

Suppliers that let you select the pg/vg ratio and nicotine strength need to steep.

You can buy premixed without those options that don't need to steep. Example:
E-Liquid

Even if you DIY, you'll find that your e-liquid tastes better after it sits or steeps for a few days. To be honest, I vape liquid as soon as I get it. If I hate it, rarely does it go from terrible to good.

This, it's not a night and day difference in any case. Steeping will take something "okay" and make it good, but it won't turn vinegar into wine.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
I'm curious as to why no juice vendors have a pre-steeped or "aged" line available. Almost every juice must get better with age, correct? I mean if there is fine liquor, fine this and super fine aged that why wouldn't someone already of thought of this? 21 yr single malt scotch and I can't even buy 6 month pre-steeped aged juice.

Comment deleted.

This isn't how we talk to members, particularly new members on ECF that ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

jenmurray116

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Northern NJ
I guess now that I have some favorites, the steeping is less of a hassle. While I want to try them, I've got plenty on hand to vape so I can be patient, as I know it's worth it. Right now I've seem to got a decent system of what's ready to go, what's steeping and what just arrived. :) But that's 6 weeks in.... And now I just keep a closer eye on those favorites.... half a bottle left? Time to reorder so there's time for steeping...

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
It does seem to be a hassle when just starting out like the OP. Most samples don't need steeping (there are some though that do). When you find something you like, order a larger size ASAP to get into your house and begin the steeping proccess BEFORE you need it.

You will in time get into the rhythm needed. Once you have your favorites in your rotation, this process becomes less of a hassle. You will get there. Unfortunately it just takes time and when you discover those that make you go WOW, it will be all worth it. :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
They do. You just have to look for 'em. BWB, Vaperite, Ahlusion (very soon) all do. BWB and Vaperite have it when available and Ahlusion is coming out with their own line of liquids pre-steeped (mostly of their popular liquids, but there will be a lot). Also, Dekang or most Chinese juices are all essentially pre-steeped. ;)

I started a thread early last year called: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/283475-pre-steeped-juice-psj.html where I was asking the same thing. I am sure more vendors will do this when they can. I know Aromaejuice sells their liquid pre-steeped and other vednors probably do when they don't have customization available, though they may not consider calling it pre-steeped as that will make it seem as they aren't selling fresh juice. I imagine there was a time when "fresh juice" sounded better than aged, or pre-steeped; now, pre-steeped is a huge selling point.

Last edited:

Ferrel1134

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
St. Paul mn
Hi welcome to ecf. I found three juices so far that I love and am trying to steep. My problem is I'm to poor to buy huge bottles. My go to juice vendor sell 236ml bottles. Next month I'm trying to get one 236 ml bottle and a couple of 50 mls of the others. I'm going to try each month to stock one of the 236 ml. And also at the same time get samples to try. It's a process. I feel lucky my 3 favs at this time don't I think need steeping but if they are great right now in my thinking will be to die for once they steep. Have fun vaping it's a great community here and if you need anything just ask.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Hi welcome to ecf. I found three juices so far that I love and am trying to steep. My problem is I'm to poor to buy huge bottles. My go to juice vendor sell 236ml bottles. Next month I'm trying to get one 236 ml bottle and a couple of 50 mls of the others. I'm going to try each month to stock one of the 236 ml. And also at the same time get samples to try. It's a process. I feel lucky my 3 favs at this time don't I think need steeping but if they are great right now in my thinking will be to die for once they steep. Have fun vaping it's a great community here and if you need anything just ask.

Save your smaller bottles now. When you get that ginormous bottle :) put some in smaller bottles after shaking very well. Smaller bottles steep faster.

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
I've wondered the same thing... at least do 0nic left steeping of the popular ones... then just add in the nic... having said that, I have absolutely no desire to DIY so I dunno if my brainiac idea would work. LOL.

I own a bookkeeping firm in my real life, so I get it... if one of my clients had THAT much inventory at 12/31, I'd smack them. Hard.

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
100 flavors * 5 nicotine levels * 6 PG/VG ratios = steeping and storing 3000 bottles!! Doesn't seem viable.

BUT... I am surprised that at least some vendors don't at least subject their juice to a finishing phase that might involve, say, 12 hours at 80ºF in an opened bottle (to allow alcohol to evaporate) followed by 10 minutes on a vibration table. That would probably simulate a couple weeks of steeping, and eliminate all those "Yuck! What is this stuff!" comments from people vaping brand new juice.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
The community is way too fickle, what's hot today will be old news when the next latest-greatest shows up. The ones that are hot, the vendors can't make fast enough to meet demand. Can you imagine them saying "We won't be shipping any juice for a month, we're going to let it steep first" There would be a huge uproar.

Once you've been at it for a little while, you'll get a feel for the juices you like and how long they need to steep. Then it's up to you to keep track of your inventory accordingly. It gets to be second nature before you know it. I order more Boba's when I crack open my last 100ml bottle. I do it more because availability can get sketchy at times but it would work for steep time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread