Priority Mail taking longer then First Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Anyone have this issue lately, while waiting on vape mail? The last priority mail package I ordered took 4 days longer then it should have, and I'm waiting on another this week that is also taking an extraordinary amount of time. Meanwhile, I've been receiving packages via First class much faster. I took a look at USPS, and there doesn't seem to be a delay for my area... Sigh... I hate waiting on vape mail.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
It does happen occasionally to me too. It seems to happen on the more important or expensive items , which can really be nerve racking. I had someone send me a 2 day priority package that was only an hour drive from me and in all logic should have made it in a day. I guess they dont want a 2 day package to get here faster, so they actually routed it out of state , then back to my state so it would take longer to get to me. It was stressful to say the least and then it ended up getting to me on the 3rd day.

I had another 2 day priority take 10 days. I called and they told me that even though it was supposed to be 2 days, that it was not a guaranteed time frame and you could only get that if you pay for the much more expensive delivery prices.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
It is an expensive item of course. My first genuine mech mod. Lernaia Hydra and Zorbas. The switch seems to be exactly what I was looking for, the voltage drop is low, and I liked the look of it. Plus, I found a sale. Here's the weird thing though. USPS says that the electronic shipping info was received on the 8th, but the package was at one of their facilities on the 7th, and departed that facility in CA on the 7th. So, what's with the electronic info being received on the 8th?

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I always choose 1st class whenever possible, it's always just as fast if not faster than priority.

I do as well, but I didn't have a choice on this one. It was Priority for free, or pay additional $20 for express. I'm concerned largely because of the odd dates. Electronic notification wasn't until the 8th, but the package was apparently received by USPS, and left one of their CA facilities on the 7th. For all other packages, I've noticed that electronic info is received first, and then the package recieved.

NC_Fog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2011
Central N.C.
As someone(contractor)who hauled bulk mail from distribution center to distribution center up and down the east coast during the 90's, first class(letters, flats, small envelopes), registered mail, and express mail go first...PERIOD! Then if there's room the priority, standard parcels, junk mailings. Priority mail are high ranking parcels whether its a flat or a 20lb box. It's all distributed in the same like BMC(Bulk Mail Container). If there's not enough room after the first class is loaded, the priority goes on the next trip or if there's enough left behind and extra trip may be warranted. My advice is that if it's under 13oz is to send it first class.

I'm sure things have probably changed since then as most other industry has.

Last edited:

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
As someone(contractor)who hauled bulk mail from distribution center to distribution center up and down the east coast during the 90's, first class(letters, flats, small envelopes), registered mail, and express mail go first...PERIOD! Then if there's room the priority, standard parcels, junk mailings. Priority mail are high ranking parcels whether its a flat or a 20lb box. It's all distributed in the same like BMC(Bulk Mail Container). If there's not enough room after the first class is loaded, the priority goes on the next trip or if there's enough left behind and extra trip may be warranted. My advice is that if it's under 13oz is to send it first class.

I'm sure things have probably changed since then as most other industry has.

Well, that would explain why my Priority packages have been taking longer then 1st class. I had absolutely no choice in the matter though, unless I wanted to cough up another $20 for express. I'm willing to pay extra for international orders. There is so much that can go wrong with them. US orders though... Arrgh! It kills me that I've received packages from Austria faster then many Priority Mail packages from here in the USA. How many times can they skip transporting a Priority package? As many times as it takes for room to appear after 1st class? This one was likely over 13 oz... Weird thing is, everything I've ever purchased in the classies, plus everything I've ever sent priority in the classies always takes the expected 2 days. When ordering from a vendor though....

NC_Fog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2011
Central N.C.
Well, that would explain why my Priority packages have been taking longer then 1st class. I had absolutely no choice in the matter though, unless I wanted to cough up another $20 for express. I'm willing to pay extra for international orders. There is so much that can go wrong with them. US orders though... Arrgh! It kills me that I've received packages from Austria faster then many Priority Mail packages from here in the USA. How many times can they skip transporting a Priority package? As many times as it takes for room to appear after 1st class? This one was likely over 13 oz... Weird thing is, everything I've ever purchased in the classies, plus everything I've ever sent priority in the classies always takes the expected 2 days. When ordering from a vendor though....

A good dock supervisor would get it moving somehow even if it has to go from A to B via C. Meaning that it may get to you a day later instead of 2. It may appear on your tracking that it was shipped to the wrong center when in all actually it was shipped there to be forwarded to your local center instead of just sitting for another day where it was left. Keep in mind at heavy mail times(Christmas), there is a shortage of planes, trucks and drivers with enough hours to make extra runs to move the mail., thus resulting in jams.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Post office sucks... Sorry, it just does... My mail constantly gets delivered to the wrong address. I live in a small town, no excuse...

Funny how I wrote this yesterday and today someone else's mail was in my box... I told my girlfriend it's getting old...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread