Problem with a pricey bottle of juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Two-ish weeks ago, I sampled some e-juice at a local shop. I have bought from them before when I vaped 6mg, but since switching to 3mg I have been grazing various local B&M's. The flavor is Vanilla Custard, and this stuff was seriously just about the best custard flavor I have ever tasted. It is a premium line that the owner has made for his store, so they are the only ones that carry it. It is an 80/20 VG PG, and man when I dripped this stuff it was complete heaven. Smooth, creamy, delicious, and plumes of vapor. The problem was they only carried it in 0,6, or 12 - So I had to have the 0mg (that I was sampling) have nicotine added to make it a 3mg. The owner did this for no charge in the shop. I bought 3 bottles at $10 a piece, 10ml per bottle - So yes - PRICEY juice...But I have been searching for the ultimate custard flavors for a while and I have only found one other than this that tasted like an actual vanilla custard. Most I've tried had strong hints of lemon or other citrus, and dripping citrus flavors just doesn't work for me..Too "in-your-face" and bright. He emptied 3 10ML bottles into a larger glass dripper bottle, and then went into the back and added the nicotine so my 0mg would become a 3mg. I vaped on it all night and it was fantastic. However, after a few days it just kept getting harsher and harsher. I thought that maybe it needed some steeping, so I let it air out a bit, then capped it and put it in my steeping closet. I've sampled it two or three times since I started the steeping and it was unbelievably harsh. Tested all three times using 26 gauge wire, running a .37-.40 ohm dual coil setup. I have 1/8 inch airholes (drilled out) and I am using a Tugboat V1. Wicking is good and etc. I think this juice just went BAD (really bad, I am taking a hit and then coughing up a fit). When I smell the juice from the bottle, it smells spot on vanilla custard, and looking at the glass bottle I don't see any discoloration of any kind. Anybody got any ideas? I am thinking this guy just screwed up the nic process or something went wrong. Is this salvageable? It's $30 worth of juice, otherwise I would just say screw it and get rid of it. Never had this happen before so I am looking for ideas on what may have went wrong, or how I can correct the problem. I suppose diluting it may take harshness out, but I have never done that before and I know I will lose flavor. I am not worried about the nicotine at this point because vaping 3mg has gotten me to a point where I don't feel the need to have nic in every single pull.

I swear my posts always turn out to be the size of books. I need therapy. Anyway, any advice or tips greatly appreciated! Thanks my fellow vapies.

vexxis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Sydney & Puerto Plata
I've had just about the opposite problem. Before we had a B&M I ordered some e-juice online that was well reviewed and sounded like it would taste good but it was truly awful! It sat on the shelf for a very long time and by this time I was mostly DIYing my e-juice (too expensive at the B&M) but I was running low and to rushed to mix another batch so I decided to try it; I'm still vaping it, it's great now. Either the e-juice changed in the fullness of time or my taste buds did from no longer smoking. Probably a combination of both. But as for you juice changing so quickly I have no idea. Maybe if you take it back to the shop and have your friendly nicotine adder try it and see how he thinks the flavor is? If he finds it is OFF he will likely just replace it at no cost.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That's what I was thinking - since you described it as "harsh" - that maybe he overdid the nic???
I've never had juice "go bad" at ALL - just slight improvement and mellowing with time.

One other thought though that made me post: It seems FAR simpler to ME, if what you want is 3 mg, and they have 0 and 6, that you just get a bottle of each and mix them together. Boom - you have 3 mg, with no measuring...

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Assuming you were using all the same equipment with the same settings/build/resistance ect....

It entirely possible that he put in too much nic.
Do you know what the pg/vg ratio is? Cause that could have been inaccurately measured, and if so more pg can do it for some.
How fast did you use up the first bottles that you had that tasted good?
If fast, maybe steeping is the problem in that its too harsh when it gets a change to steep. He did open them all and dump them together...

I can only think of 2 possible solutions. Dilute it and lose flavor, or buy more and dilute it with that but you run the risk of wasting more if that bottle sucks or if the mix of the two doesn't relive the harshness.

IMO custards, vanillas, or anything creamy tastes even worse with time, but your talking about harshness as in a harsh TH?

Money wasting is the disclaimer of vaping, that and custards themselves...

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Assuming you were using all the same equipment with the same settings/build/resistance ect....

It entirely possible that he put in too much nic.
Do you know what the pg/vg ratio is? Cause that could have been inaccurately measured, and if so more pg can do it for some.
How fast did you use up the first bottles that you had that tasted good?
If fast, maybe steeping is the problem in that its too harsh when it gets a change to steep. He did open them all and dump them together...

I can only think of 2 possible solutions. Dilute it and lose flavor, or buy more and dilute it with that but you run the risk of wasting more if that bottle sucks or if the mix of the two doesn't relive the harshness.

IMO custards, vanillas, or anything creamy tastes even worse with time, but your talking about harshness as in a harsh TH?

Money wasting is the disclaimer of vaping, that and custards themselves...

I've had great results with steeping certain custard flavors - But this is the second 'Nilla custard I've found that I liked. I only needed a few drops to test the juice, and since he opened a fresh bottle for me to test it, we just used that as one of the three bottles. Here's a new development - I bought several bottles of juice from him in 6mg. This new one, Blueberry cheesecake, was absolutely incredible. I was taste testing it at 6mg and dripping it, and was amazed at the clarity of the flavor. However, I wanted it in 3. He added the nicotine to this one as well. Tasted fine, then tanked. I think the problem is this guy just doesn't know how to measure nicotine when it comes to lower doses. I didn't feel like I was getting a nic rush or buzz from the two bad bottles, it was just HARSH..burned the throat, lungs, etc (I take lung hits - Big ones). Two bottles he added nicotine to to make them 3mg going bad in exactly the same way is too much of a coincidence. I took both of them back tonight, explaining the problem and what I had tried. He refused to test them and told me I must have done something to taint the juice. Definitely not buying from this shop again (they really did have AWESOME house mixtures, as long as they were in 6mg). I have plenty of other stores that will throw together high vg stuff (I have a mild pg allergy) for me if I want. On my way out, I did notice that he had Kanthal in a display case for sale. 25 feet of 24 gauge - $19.99. And that told me everything I need to know about this guy. I think I may buy some glycerin and dilute it. I won't mind having some juice to just blow clouds with, and at least then I can get some sort of use out of the stuff (Except the Blueberry, that ish is beyond any repair or make up). Thanks for the help guys!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yeah - must be something - maybe the nic he's using has a nasty flavor that comes out, too!
As I mentioned, you could buy the 6mg, and if he has it in 0 mg, there you go - mix them 50/50 and you have 3 mg.
Or even better, you can pick up a new hobby - learn to make your own juice :D

I've had great results with steeping certain custard flavors - But this is the second 'Nilla custard I've found that I liked. I only needed a few drops to test the juice, and since he opened a fresh bottle for me to test it, we just used that as one of the three bottles. Here's a new development - I bought several bottles of juice from him in 6mg. This new one, Blueberry cheesecake, was absolutely incredible. I was taste testing it at 6mg and dripping it, and was amazed at the clarity of the flavor. However, I wanted it in 3. He added the nicotine to this one as well. Tasted fine, then tanked. I think the problem is this guy just doesn't know how to measure nicotine when it comes to lower doses. I didn't feel like I was getting a nic rush or buzz from the two bad bottles, it was just HARSH..burned the throat, lungs, etc (I take lung hits - Big ones). Two bottles he added nicotine to to make them 3mg going bad in exactly the same way is too much of a coincidence. I took both of them back tonight, explaining the problem and what I had tried. He refused to test them and told me I must have done something to taint the juice. Definitely not buying from this shop again (they really did have AWESOME house mixtures, as long as they were in 6mg). I have plenty of other stores that will throw together high vg stuff (I have a mild pg allergy) for me if I want. On my way out, I did notice that he had Kanthal in a display case for sale. 25 feet of 24 gauge - $19.99. And that told me everything I need to know about this guy. I think I may buy some glycerin and dilute it. I won't mind having some juice to just blow clouds with, and at least then I can get some sort of use out of the stuff (Except the Blueberry, that ish is beyond any repair or make up). Thanks for the help guys!

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Yeah - must be something - maybe the nic he's using has a nasty flavor that comes out, too!
As I mentioned, you could buy the 6mg, and if he has it in 0 mg, there you go - mix them 50/50 and you have 3 mg.
Or even better, you can pick up a new hobby - learn to make your own juice :D

I finally have got the hang of rebuilding my drippers. Switching from an MVP and tanks to mechanical mods and dripping was my previous "big step". Couldn't be more happy with where I am now. Down from 28mg of nic to 3mg....Spending pennies rebuilding my drippers instead of having to pay $3.00 for a new coil, and escaping Kanger gurgling has brought me from just "a means of quitting" to a full blown hobby. Even at the bar the other night, my build started choking and failed on me. Instead of crying, I just grabbed my on-the-go build kit out of my car and put together a .25 ohm dual coil build on the bar and resumed my vaping....Never thought I'd do that..Lol. The next step is definitely going to be making my own juice. As a former fine dining cook and culinary student, flavor combinations come natural to me, and I really want to apply those skills to e-liquid. Knowing that I will really never stop learning, growing, and trying new things (even after I say goodbye to nic, and start vaping 0) is what is really keeping me around. The community isn't too shabby either. :p

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Oh my god I am in heaven. Thanks GPC.....These flavor profiles are EXACTLY what I love...especially with a hot vape. Cinnamon bun just isn't as good unless your firing it nice and hot....Speaking of that, I better re-drip my tiramisu juice. At .2-.25 ohms dual coil it is like someone ramming hot starbucks deliciousness down into your lungs. If this juice had caffeine in it I would probably stop going to starbucks and just vape my coffee. Anyway, I did just place an order with that company. Got Cinny Delight, Cheesecake, and of course custard assault. If I could hug you for giving that link, I would. A big hug..followed by sub ohm starbucks.....I should be in therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread