Problem with spit back from Clapton coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMo81

Mar 17, 2015
Pennsylvania
Just got an Indestructible RDA and some Clapton wire (32 / 26 gauge). Doing 5 wraps - dual coil, 3mm inner diameter - comes out to 0.4 ohms. I'm using a Kanger 70W Kbox at 63-65W, wicking with Koh Gen Do organic cotton - snug, but not tight. It spits like crazy. It's to the point where I don't enjoy vaping on it at all. Is the problem that my mod isn't powerful enough? I did notice that it's a little slow to ramp up when I'm dry firing the coils. Especially when compared to my normal 24g nichrome dual coil build I use on my Alliance V2 atty. Could I be wicking it wrong? Or do Clapton coils just spit regardless? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
I'm going to assume the 26/32 claptons were bought prewrapped? If yes I also bought and used some prewrapped 26/32 kanthal clapton wire. I notice that these prewrapped claptons tend to "pop" more than regular single stranded kanthals (by alot). Its the same with different attys and different mods. I'm not getting spit back however.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Clapton generally just do spit. I find that when the coils have been resting for a while juice accumulates and the first hit tends to spit more. What I do is blow briefly at the beginning of that first hit before inhaling, this reduces the amount of spit-back that goes in my mouth-hole.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
More watts might help. But it's a function of the surface area accumulating juice. As the coil heats, the bottom layer, closest to the coil, flashes to vapor first (obviously), and this can pop off the upper layers. Hitting it harder with power (read faster ramp time) may help. A curved or knuckle drip tip will fix it. It will still pop, but the juice droplets can't make it around the curve to your mouth.

MattMo81

Mar 17, 2015
Pennsylvania

MattMo81

Mar 17, 2015
Pennsylvania
Clapton generally just do spit. I find that when the coils have been resting for a while juice accumulates and the first hit tends to spit more. What I do is blow briefly at the beginning of that first hit before inhaling, this reduces the amount of spit-back that goes in my mouth-hole.
Thanks for the tips! I read somewhere that the problem may be due to the slow ramp up time. While the coil heats up, it starts boiling the eliquid at first, causing it to pop and spit juice, which is exactly what's happening to me.

MattMo81

Mar 17, 2015
Pennsylvania
More watts might help. But it's a function of the surface area accumulating juice. As the coil heats, the bottom layer, closest to the coil, flashes to vapor first (obviously), and this can pop off the upper layers. Hitting it harder with power (read faster ramp time) may help. A curved or knuckle drip tip will fix it. It will still pop, but the juice droplets can't make it around the curve to your mouth.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, different drip tips can't be used on the Indestructible RDA. Comes with a rather wide "10mm Integrated Sloped Drip Tip". It twists onto a kind of washer with airflow holes. I keep these closed however, because even 1 of those holes being opened is way to airy for my taste.
indestructable1_2.jpg

MattMo81

Mar 17, 2015
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the input guys. While my problem isn't quite solved, I at least have a better understanding of it. Maybe I'll just stick to my tried and true 24g nichrome dual coil setup until I can figure out a way to put a different drip tip on the Indestructible. Now that I've gotten used to dripping, I don't see myself going back to using rta tanks. Thanks!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thanks for the input guys. While my problem isn't quite solved, I at least have a better understanding of it. Maybe I'll just stick to my tried and true 24g nichrome dual coil setup until I can figure out a way to put a different drip tip on the Indestructible. Now that I've gotten used to dripping, I don't see myself going back to using rta tanks. Thanks!
Lol, only because you haven't found a good one yet. Try a Boreas by Augvape and Roxy. It's got the flavor and cloud of a RDA, and holds 8ml of juice ;-)

Reactions: rice721
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread