Problems switching from analogs to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
Hi everyone,

I am a long time smoker who has been trying for years to switch to ecigs. I am a MTL ( I like my innokin jem) with too many devices to count and over 100 flavors and levels of nic. I've been to multiple vape shops in my area and their solution is another piece of hardware or another juice. I have tried 12 and 18 mg nic (my max), nic salts, WTA and nothing is satisfiying. My question is, am I expecting too much from vaping? Should I expect not being satisfied and experiencing withdrawal? Is that normal? Can anyone offer some tips on methods you used to quit and some problems you may have experienced?

Thanks

dsites

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2017
Nederland, Colorado
Welcome to ECF. Vaping is good at providing nicotine but doesn't replace the chemicals they add to make a Marlboro a Marlboro as opposed to a Winston. If you have to smoke, I'd switch brands or better yet, go with a 'natural' product like American Spirit.

Many people smoke and vape while making the transition. Try vaping first and if you still want to smoke, only smoke 1/2 a cigarette of a brand you're not fond of. Over time, if you work at it, you'll find you smoke less and many stop completely.

Most importantly, keep vaping. You'll be glad you did!

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I dont think vaping nicotine is a direct replacement for tobacco. Wasnt for me.
When I was quitting tobacco I was dosed up on more nic each day than I had been at any time of my life, and all I wanted was a puff of some tobacco.
I really wanted to quit, had to, so I had made a pretty firm resolution to dig in and quit no matter what the withdrawals were.
I think vaping, educating myself about it and all that goes with it etc, was a distraction that along with the nicotine helped me through the withdrawals from my tobacco habit.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi everyone,

I am a long time smoker who has been trying for years to switch to ecigs. I am a MTL ( I like my Innokin Jem) with too many devices to count and over 100 flavors and levels of nic. I've been to multiple vape shops in my area and their solution is another piece of hardware or another juice. I have tried 12 and 18 mg nic (my max), nic salts, WTA and nothing is satisfiying. My question is, am I expecting too much from vaping? Should I expect not being satisfied and experiencing withdrawal? Is that normal? Can anyone offer some tips on methods you used to quit and some problems you may have experienced?

Thanks
How strong a “salts” have you tried?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Hi everyone,

I am a long time smoker who has been trying for years to switch to ecigs. I am a MTL ( I like my Innokin Jem) with too many devices to count and over 100 flavors and levels of nic. I've been to multiple vape shops in my area and their solution is another piece of hardware or another juice. I have tried 12 and 18 mg nic (my max), nic salts, WTA and nothing is satisfiying. My question is, am I expecting too much from vaping? Should I expect not being satisfied and experiencing withdrawal? Is that normal? Can anyone offer some tips on methods you used to quit and some problems you may have experienced?

Thanks

I used both for a long time. I was down to two per day in the morning for about six months. One day I realized that I hadn't smoked a cigarette in several days, I was shocked and pleased. I have never gone back and have not have a craving. Patience and keeping at it, it's the number you don't smoke that is the number to count.

Someone smarter than I uses on his signature line that the greatest mistake in vaping is searching for the greatest vape rather than working to make the vape you've got a great vape. I thought about that and decided the guy was right. That is when I started saving all of that money I thought I would save when I started to vape.
:thumbs:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Should I expect not being satisfied and experiencing withdrawal? Is that normal? Can anyone offer some tips on methods you used to quit and some problems you may have experienced?

There's different methods (see post above), so it varies.

I can only tell you how it went FOR ME.

I made sure vaping functioned. I smoked the last of the pack. Cleaned the ashtrays up and DECIDED that I would buy no more. I did go through a minor withdrawal, but I also went through a minor "cleansing", in that my taste buds came back and my sense of smell came back. And my clothes didn't stink. It's a trade-off, and I decided to trade good for bad. But you have to adjust.

The "withdrawal" lasted about 2 weeks, and I just kept saying "Not today. Maybe tomorrow, but not today". And after a while I didn't want them anymore. And I could start to smell smokers coming or walking by...even if they weren't smoking...like in the grocery store even in the summer. And I started to notice everything taste better. And I could picture my lungs clearing up, and going from all-nasty-brown to pink again, and 9 years later they may have gotten most of the way there!

Good luck to you, however you decide to do it, you do it BECAUSE you decide to (and vape your brains out at first).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Good advice given so far. As with any harm reduction practice, vaping may not be the answer for everyone to quit smoking. But we have a saying on the forum, "Its not how many cigarettes you smoke per day that is important. Its how many you DIDN'T smoke that is important."

Stop rewarding yourself with your favorite brand of cigarette when you smoke. Switch brands; if you smoke a menthol, buy a non-menthol, or vice versa. Buy the worse tasting brand that you know of.

When I quit, I knew that I'd have some serious cravings for a smoke when I first began to vape. So I dual used. I vaped as much and as frequently as I felt I needed to. If I got a craving for a smoke, I vaped even more.

If that didn't stop the craving, I allowed myself HALF of a cigarette. Saved the second half for the next bad craving. I was able to limit myself to 4 whole cigarettes per day. Those half smoked cigarettes tasted pretty bad, but that helped me to quit.

As the week went on, I found that the cigarette wasn't as satisfying as before, and the frequency that I needed to smoke was getting less and less. At the end of the week, my pack of cigarettes was empty, and I didn't care if I bought another pack or not. I was actually liking vaping more than smoking at that point.

I'm not saying this will work for you, but its worth a shot.

You might also try aversion therapy. When my best friend got pregnant in her 30's, she emptied her ash tray into a baby food jar with a bit of water. You talk about stink!! When ever she wanted a smoke, she would just take a couple of whiffs from that jar. It got so that whenever she saw a cigarette she felt like she needed to puke.

Sad to say that once she had her child, she got divorced and fell back into the temptation to smoke again. She died of a heart attack at the wheel of her car at the tender age of 38 not long after.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
For me, I vaped hard whenever I got a craving. Then waited 20 minutes to see if it passed. At first I just vaped all the time, that was before salts hit the scene and I was at 24mg/ml.

But it took a while for my brain to realize we were getting our nic from this new source.

Quitting with vaping is the same as quitting without, though, in that you have to be determined.

I also know a few people who could not transition and dual use. Those who were successful had to cold turkey the smokes.

I was fortunate that I could dual use and quickly quit without much stress or detoxing.

Since you seem to have tried everything else I would’ve suggested - higher nic, different devices, keep on trying, give it time - that’s the only help I can offer.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
First off. Never return to those shops who sold you on a new device or juice.

And, yes, I'd say you're expecting a little too much from vaping. While vaping makes quitting tobacco much easier (and the only smoking cessation aid the worked for me), it's still not easy and takes some determination. You will experience withdrawal from the other chemicals in tobacco smoke (I was "messed" up for a week or so) and still crave.

There's nothing wrong with "dual" use as that helps many (but not all...I couldn't). Stay with you max nic level and keep trying.

Everyone is different and the ease of switching over varies from one person to the next. Bottom line, approach vaping as an aid, not a cure...you'll still need to work hard at it. And really want it. Good luck!

EDIT: Just a tip that helped me, for what it's worth: My vape habits mirrored my smoking habits when I first switched. Vape before coffee, vape after. Vape when I woke up. Vape when I finished a meal. Vape when I went on break. If it took me 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette, I vaped for 5 minutes...and so on. I found that helped my mind accept what was going on.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
It takes a lot of willpower to quit smoking. Less with vaping than cold turkey but it is still tough. I have recently started using 35mg. Jewel Mint Salts. I find it to be very satisfying. I wasn't a menthol smoker but I find mint e liquid to be the most effective at fighting cigarette cravings for some reason. When I stopped smoking regularly I felt like I had the flu for a few days then the quit zits. Detoxifying isn't fun.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Smoking is not just a physical thing, it's also a mental thing. If you're vaping at a high enough nicotine content and still wanting to smoke it is just your brain telling you to smoke. Your brain is wired to smoke. You're getting the nicotine. It's mental. Tell your brain to pound sand and grab your vape. It takes time. If you stick with it that craving to smoke will go away.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I second the never return to those shops, they just kept selling you things but didn't really care to help you, they just wanted a quick buck

you are going to have cravings because 1 vaping is not the same as smoking and 2 there are so many thing in cigarettes that you are giving up.... I would highly suggest upping your nicotine to at least a minimum of 24mg, when I started (before nic salts were around) I was well over 40mg but within a few months quickly dropped to 24 and then several months later down to 12mg, once you detox from all the other crap in cigs you can start lowering your nic levels
also you could try a freebase nic instead of nic salts for that throat hit feeling of smoking but higher nic strength maybe too harsh if you are used to nic salts
again though keep in mind vaping is not smoking so it will never be exactly the same feeling or taste as smoking but it can aid with cravings, just up your nicotine levels and keep vaping until you are able to start lowering them
and if need be smoke a cig but grab your vape first, if it doesn't help then ok sure, smoke a cig then get right back to continuing to vape
it takes time, which varies for everyone but eventually you'll get there and we're here to help with any questions or trying to find something that works better to suit your needs

Reactions: dsites

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
My question is, am I expecting too much from vaping? Should I expect not being satisfied and experiencing withdrawal? Is that normal? Can anyone offer some tips on methods you used to quit and some problems you may have experienced?

No you're not expecting too much. Vaping can definitely satisfy but what it can't do is exactly replace what you get from the cancer sticks.

When I quit we didn't have the technology we had now and I used to have too chain vape to try and fight off the cravings. The withdrawal phase only last 2 weeks or so so as long as you have the will power for that you'll do it :)

6 years later and apart from a years relapse (don't ask :) ) I find my vaping extremely satisfying. I've recently started using salt nic with several different pod devices and they really do give that satisfying feeling. Your an MTL vaper yes? My advice is to get yourself some really strong salts. I'm using 36 mg/ml at the moment and I can feel it in the morning first thing. If you take this advice I think you will feel satisfied.

A word of warning though...don't vape high mg salts in a DL device you'll make yourself nic sick.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work...you can do it :)

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Not sure how to reply to everyone, but thanks for all the input. A few things to add: I tried 24mg nic salts with several pod systems and it burns my throat like crazy. It also makes me cough up a lung. Most of the vape shops in my area hire youngsters who hardly smoked before vaping, so they look at me like deer in the headlights. One shop owner said he was having problems finding experienced people. Maybe I should open my own shop. At least I'm old and experienced in something.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Not sure how to reply to everyone, but thanks for all the input. A few things to add: I tried 24mg nic salts with several pod systems and it burns my throat like crazy. It also makes me cough up a lung.

I know this is going to sound counter intuitive but try the pods again with 36mg/ml or higher and then draw directly into your lungs if that makes sense...you'll find its super smooth.

It's different to what you are used to with smoking, which is why we all start with mouth to lung, but this will probably work for you and believe me the satisfaction is there. It only takes me about 3-4 puffs of my pod and I can feel the satisfying feeling kicking in. It's the most similar to smoking i've experienced yet with vaping.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

NB...another reason that you cough is the vapor on top of the smoke and those smoky lungs....you've just got to get passed the initial phase and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Possum64

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Everyone is different. I was a lucky one who quit from a 3 pad habit in 3 days. It was the first morning smoke that was hardest. While a cigarette satisfied me in a few minutes, I had to vape for 45 minutes before I was satisfied. That took gutting thru it.

On the other hand, my wife took 2-3 weeks of dual use before she could quit completely.

My son-in-law never could make the switch.

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Can anyone offer some tips on methods you used to quit and some problems you may have experienced?
You may have not found the right e liquid category/taste that works for you.
Some of my general categories:
Bakery
Butterscotch / Butter Rum/Toffee
Caramel
Chocolate
Cinnamon
Creams/Custards/Vanilla/MM/CC
Nut
Peanut Butter
Tobacco
MISC SINGLES/Fruit etc.
re: Vape Flavors Explained – How to Choose a Flavor You’ll Like
Tobacco is an important flavor because it helped me quit. The role of flavors is an extremely important part of my vaping experience and is key in my success in quitting smoking (and nicotine).
The references below were compiled for DIY mixers but the flavors and types of tobacco types can all be approximated in many e liquid vendors stocks, might like to read up on tobacco flavors:
https://www.thevaperstable.com/flavorah-tobaccos-part-1/
Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only
Workgroup Tobacco Reviews : CloudCollective
You have posted in the new members forum, you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
In the future, you might want to post in the ECF forum most closely representing your question. Suggest posting in :General vaping discussion and chat, General Vaping Discussion
Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane information from the membership in the above/appropriate forum.

• Useful
Reactions: Possum64

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Everyone's experience is different. Nicotine isn't the only thing in tobacco. There are a bunch of other active substances that we don't know as much about at this point. Some people seem to be mainly addicted to the nicotine, and they can switch to vaping fairly easily. Others seem to be more affected by the other stuff and therefore have a harder time. Unfortunately, you seem to be in the latter group. Your options seem to be:
  1. Use vaping to help with the nicotine part of the addiction. It won't be a full replacement, but it might help enough that you can make it. There's lots of good advice and tips for this approach above.
  2. Get some whole tobacco alkaloid (WTA) juice. It's extracted from tobacco and includes a bunch of the 'other stuff'. Warning: Less is known about the alkaloids and the extraction process, so it's probably somewhat riskier than standard vaping. That said, it's very probably better than burning tobacco and inhaling smoke, ash and tar.
I don't know where to find WTAs myself, but if you search the forum for the term you should come up with something. I know a number of forum members swear by it.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Have you tried rebuildables? I know you mentioned mtl, but were they all drop in coils? I know some cannot build, but for mtl'ing, it seems the only thing left....not sure if this is the ticket or not, but I can tell you that a really good mtl rta is at another level compared to pods or your basic mtl drop in tanks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread